Kyle Lowry Turnaround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyle Lowry Turnaround

"...Seated around the table were Raptors chairman Larry Tanenbaum, team president Tim Leiweke, Ujiri and his senior advisor Wayne Embry, a Hall of Famer. They were gathered for a kind of intervention on behalf of 27-year-old Kyle Lowry, an overachieving point guard who had developed a reputation for undermining his teams and himself."

Read More Very interesting read.

Maybe I am just late to the table, but I had not heard of this sit down with Lowry, Masai, Tim, Embry and Tanenbaum.

Might this have some influence on whether he wants to stay in TO or not? It seems pretty out there for a team to do.

I read this yesterday and was surprised too. Seems like MU is willing to make a commitment to Kyle based on his acceptance and performance of the role as leader of the team. So far, I think Kyle has done a pretty damn good job, so it looks very possible that MU will try to resign him in the off season.

Comment

"He's always been in a situation where there is another point guard that is high-caliber behind him, pushing back at him. Now he's been given the team. You're a starting point guard. Run your team."
      This is probably the biggest key for Lowry this year. Knowing that it's his team, and his team only.

Comment

Great article Puffer, thanks for posting.

I wonder if Lowry trying so hard to raise his game up is a good sign of him wanting to be here. As MU says, he advised both Lowry and his agent that the next step after the Rudy trade would be based on whether the team was winning or losing, and Lowry is the difference between winning and losing for the Raptors right now.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          This is probably the biggest key for Lowry this year. Knowing that it's his team, and his team only.
          Agreed. Much of his career was around him playing second fiddle to someone else. I think it's unfair that he's been pegged as a problem. He's got a chip on his shoulder and rightfully so. Elite point guards are hard to find in any league. He can build upon this to become one of them.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Lowry could be the starting PG on a championship team. If he keeps up this attitude, he is as good as a Mike Conley, or George Hill, hell the Heat don't even have a PG. People need to quit with this needing Chris Paul or something else as substantial, they don't grow on trees and Lowry is a quality starter.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

As of right now Kyle Lowry is a top-10 pg maybe even top 5. He's not just a quality starter he's a borderline all-star player
              #BringBackUzoh

Comment

Kyle Lowry is arguably the best point guard in the East right now (probably competing with Wall - Rondo just coming back, Rose injured, Irving on a bad team).
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

is anyone else worried lowry gets a big contract from us in the offseason and walks out of the warlord MU's office eating a KFC double down slowly gaining weight and sneering at everyone, like Keyser Soze at the end of the usual suspects?
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Agreed. Much of his career was around him playing second fiddle to someone else. I think it's unfair that he's been pegged as a problem. He's got a chip on his shoulder and rightfully so. Elite point guards are hard to find in any league. He can build upon this to become one of them.
                    You know, here is a good example of two things.....

1) People simply do not read what is printed.

or

2) People read it, but can't quite understand, or choose not to understand the content.

The reality, the Kyle Lowry story, with the euphemisms that this article used out of respect and a desire to be polite, is all there if you cared to actually read it. Kyle Lowry hasnt experienced anything "unfair" in his life as an NBA player, to suggest so is just wrong. Read the article, the meeting was not a love in, it was a wake up call, and a chance for people that have A LOT of capital invested into him to let him know that his past, and his past actions and attitudes were a detriment, and that if he wanted to continue, and be successful, it was time to smarten the fuck up. Period. Toronto hasn't betstowed anything on this guy, this guy is what they have left, and they cannot afford to have it pissed out the window.

Lowry himself admits all of this, and he makes a fantastic comment about drowing up, about being married, and having a child. Perhaps you young guys all still come from that young, us against the world mindset. This chip where you feel the world does you wrong, and you are "owed" something. Its fair, its part of life, and part of being young. But Kyle Lowry, this guy was an idiot, selfish, a hot head, and had alienated himself from two teams and was starting to do it in Toronto. The talent, it was always there, the drive, completely there, but the maturity.....fuck no.

KL is a fantastic player. I have admitted that frm day one. But since his arrival, I have always maintained he just didn't get it. And self admittedly, from KL himself, and ALL those around him, he didn't. But thats ok. Thats in the past, and this guy has grown up leaps and bounds over the last 12 months. Its just fantastic to see a guy make that kind of life choice, that type of personality growth, and that sort of mental effort and discipline to become the man he always could have been. For some it takes longer than others.

End story, Toronto has a legitimate top PG on their team now. He is all grown up, he is learning to lead, lead by example and lead with positivity and communication. Today kyle Lowry is more Steve Nash than he is Allen Iverson and let me tell you, 12 months ago, you couldnt have said that. Don't even assume life was unfair to KL, not ever. I would offer that he would knock you one in the nose if you told him that now.... he takes responsibility for himself now, he "gets it" now.

As Toronto fans, we should be super happy about this.... I know I am.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                      is anyone else worried lowry gets a big contract from us in the offseason and walks out of the warlord MU's office eating a KFC double down slowly gaining weight and sneering at everyone, like Keyser Soze at the end of the usual suspects?
                      Nope.

I think he is who he is now.

Comment

5 Year, 52 Million ... Sounds about Right

Comment

Nope
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Kyle is playing for his next contract. I think if another team is really hot on Lowry then there is potential for the Raptors to burn themselves. Or in other words, Lowry's agents ideal situation would be to get a bidding war going to get his guy that one last payday.

Is Lowry the long term answer? When will the Raptors be legit contenders? If we're talking 3-5 years out then a S&T is their best scenario. Unless you think he's gonna be the next Billups or something.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

there will be no bidding war for Kyle Lowry...he will resign here for 5 years 50 million and anyone who disagrees with my value is wrong
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                              X