Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 47 of 47

Thread: Demar Derozan - most disrespected player

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Why the red??

    I don't think DD can be a big part of a competitive team unless he accepts a 20-25 minute 6th man role.

    History has not yet repeated itself with the Pistons. And one could argue that Billups and Rasheed were elite in the playoffs, and Ben was an elite defender. I don't think that trying to emulate the Pistons will get us past Lebron or Hibbert.

    I did a quick peruse of the 2008-2011 drafts for all-stars (i got lazy and stopped counting before 08)

    Drafted top 10: 10/40 <----- 25% chance of getting an all star, some of which are superstars
    Drafted 10-30: 3/80 <------- 3.75% of getting an all-star, and only 1/80 of a chance of landing Hibbert.

    Yupp, I want in the top ten tyvm.
    Just with regards to how I see this math done quite often. I don`t buy that the draft is a complete crap shoot. I think people make bad picks and good ones. There are 3 all stars from 10-30, and there may be more in the future. I think it`s certainly possible to scout them properly and pick one.

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    Just with regards to how I see this math done quite often. I don`t buy that the draft is a complete crap shoot. I think people make bad picks and good ones. There are 3 all stars from 10-30, and there may be more in the future. I think it`s certainly possible to scout them properly and pick one.
    What I argue is that it isn't a crap shoot. In fact, my argument stats that GOOD TALENT is found at HIGH PICKS. No crap shoot.

    Actually from the years I went through the max number of all-stars after 10 was 2....and they were closer to ten than thirty. It still requires a high pick in the draft. Period.

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic Starter rapfan10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sorry dont know if it was said yet but I think one of the most underrated aspects of demar is his durability. Looks like he is getting ready to miss his only something like 10th game of his career tomorrow. Durability is something that u need. U don't want ur superstars (like one we would have picked up in the draft) in and out of the lineups.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    What I argue is that it isn't a crap shoot. In fact, my argument stats that GOOD TALENT is found at HIGH PICKS. No crap shoot.

    Actually from the years I went through the max number of all-stars after 10 was 2....and they were closer to ten than thirty. It still requires a high pick in the draft. Period.
    That's a pretty flimsy straw man argument if I ever heard one. Do you understand the basic concept of "crap shoot"? It's certainly true that "GOOD TALENT is found at HIGH PICKS", but it's also true that in every single draft, players that have been ranked high on mock drafts (based on NBA scouts' assessments?) through the season, and are drafted high, turn out to be busts, while some simply don't come close to living up to their hype. Again, this happens with every draft, and is the reason why everybody associated with the game refers to the draft as a crap shoot sometimes.

  5. Like Joey liked this post
  6. #45
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote salmon wrote: View Post
    That's a pretty flimsy straw man argument if I ever heard one. Do you understand the basic concept of "crap shoot"? It's certainly true that "GOOD TALENT is found at HIGH PICKS", but it's also true that in every single draft, players that have been ranked high on mock drafts (based on NBA scouts' assessments?) through the season, and are drafted high, turn out to be busts, while some simply don't come close to living up to their hype. Again, this happens with every draft, and is the reason why everybody associated with the game refers to the draft as a crap shoot sometimes.
    This applies to every player that is drafted. Any player can be a bust, no matter when they are drafted. Later than ten you have a higher chance of the player turning into a bust, its just you don't hear about it because who cares if the 27th pick is no longer in the NBA. They wouldn't have gotten drafted if the GM didn't think they could play in the NBA, but since they have failed to become an NBA calibre player, they are a "bust" as well.

    The fact remains though, is that you have roughly a 25% chance to grab a star if you are drafting in the top 10, and a 3.75% chance outside of that. Which means that it is way way less of a "crap shoot" to draft high

  7. #46
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    1,275
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote GameBreaker wrote: View Post
    Why trade someone who plays good???? This is why we're looked at as a JOKE!! Y'all want tank mode for UNPROVEN players and want to trade guys that are good on our team. Ease off the NBA2K14, for a bit, bro. Smdh. #AssBackwards
    We simply differ in the definition of someone who plays good. He certainly plays good sometimes.

  8. #47
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    What I argue is that it isn't a crap shoot. In fact, my argument stats that GOOD TALENT is found at HIGH PICKS. No crap shoot.

    Actually from the years I went through the max number of all-stars after 10 was 2....and they were closer to ten than thirty. It still requires a high pick in the draft. Period.
    So my point kinda got derailed. I'm specifically talking about the fact that there are all-star caliber players available after 10.

    I think that a very good, professional scouting team should be able to pick those players out from the rest of the class, or at least narrow the options down. So I would say the 3/80 stat isn't a set of identical, independent events, but rather a heterogeneous set of picks.

    In other words, some picks are good, and some picks are bad, and regardless how they turn out, those good picks will have a different chance of turning into all stars than the bad ones.

    Your point is taken that good players are found at the top of the draft, I understand this and it should be self explanatory. I also think that those 'numbers' are not really representative of the true odds of getting an all star player after the 10th pick.

    I was more bringing up a technical nit-pick. Your point is valid and taken, I just wanted to comment on the use of those types of stats, which I've seen used on the front page as well.
    Last edited by stooley; Mon Jan 27th, 2014 at 09:57 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •