Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

Thread: Demar Derozan - most disrespected player

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,068
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I love DeRozan, but it made sense he didn't make it.

    DeRozan provides: Scoring, athleticism, size, perimeter play.
    More then half of the names provide the very same thing, but either more efficiently, or just better.

    Redundancy isn't the way to win basketball games, just ask Rudy Gay and DeMar.

    Anyways, makes sense Korver, Thompson, Beal (three-point shooters), and Kawhi Leonard (shooter, defender) made it over him. Once DeMar becomes a more efficient basketball player, and can continue to improve and consistently perform defensively, we'll see his name in there sooner than later.

  2. Like Letter N liked this post
  3. #22
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,180
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think it's a huge snub. You need specialists, not a whole lot of players that need the ball in their hands to successful.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

  4. Like GoldenBaller liked this post
  5. #23
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,584
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's not necessarily disrespect to DeMar by not putting him on the list. He's put on a show this year and proved to everyone that he can a very good player. It's just the guys on that list are better than him.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  6. #24
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,068
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    It's not necessarily disrespect to DeMar by not putting him on the list. He's put on a show this year and proved to everyone that he can a very good player. It's just the guys on that list are better than him.
    I disagree with the reason, if we went purely with talent, there is absolutely no reason Beal, Korver, Thompson, Leonard, or Hayward should be on there over DeRozan.

  7. #25
    Raptors Republic All-Star YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The thing about this list is that its just an initial release, and Demar can definitely prove why he deserves a spot by continuing to improve this season and make the roster later on. The roster can change at any time.

    I think some publicity would definitely help in Derozan's cause, so long as he earns it by playing within the team.
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."
    Demar Derozan


  8. #26
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    I love DeRozan, but it made sense he didn't make it.

    DeRozan provides: Scoring, athleticism, size, perimeter play.
    More then half of the names provide the very same thing, but either more efficiently, or just better.

    Redundancy isn't the way to win basketball games, just ask Rudy Gay and DeMar.

    Anyways, makes sense Korver, Thompson, Beal (three-point shooters), and Kawhi Leonard (shooter, defender) made it over him. Once DeMar becomes a more efficient basketball player, and can continue to improve and consistently perform defensively, we'll see his name in there sooner than later.

    I just thought he could be useful too coz of his decent and much improved midrange game. Maybe he could master the FIBA 3-pointer which is closer than the NBA 3-point line. And the experience too of being among the elites. I'm not expecting him to be on the final team. Didn't expect him to be cut so early. Oh well, I guess it makes the selection team's job easier by letting the better players go earlier so they won't be making more difficult decisions later on lol.

  9. #27
    Raptors Republic Starter Pele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    mud
    Posts
    266
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Thing is though, people have been saying that for years about Derozan, and he continues to prove them wrong.

    His peak value will come when he's 27-28, if he stays healthy.

  10. Like Joey liked this post
  11. #28
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    I disagree with the reason, if we went purely with talent, there is absolutely no reason Beal, Korver, Thompson, Leonard, or Hayward should be on there over DeRozan.
    Derozan may be more athletic than they are, but skill and basketball IQ wise, no. Not sure if it's because he's white or because he's playing for the JAzz, but Hayward is one of the more underrated wing players in the NBA. He can play the 2 or 3. He's a very good rebounder and passer. And he's also great at drawing contact and converts at a good % at the line. Hayward's going to earn himself a good paycheque this off season.

  12. #29
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Derozan is not and probably can't be a system player, he's a guy who needs a ball in his hand to score, isn't a good spot up shooter, isn't a good defender and honestly he wouldn't be a benefitial player for team USA, a completely logical decision

  13. #30
    Raptors Republic Starter rapfan10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Vykis wrote: View Post
    Derozan is not and probably can't be a system player, he's a guy who needs a ball in his hand to score, isn't a good spot up shooter, isn't a good defender and honestly he wouldn't be a benefitial player for team USA, a completely logical decision
    He Isn't as iso-heavy as gay tho. He gets most of good, efficient looks from midrange off of pin downs, curls, and screens. I think that in itself is useful. This team has to many three point shooters. I honestly don't get why they put korver, he is not a better rebounder or defender than demar, although I do think he is a better passer and three pointer shooter.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rapfan10; Sat Jan 25th, 2014 at 08:35 AM.

  14. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
  15. #31
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote rapfan10 wrote: View Post
    He Isn't as iso-heavy as gay tho. He gets most of good, efficient looks from midrange off of pin downs, curls, and screens. I think that in itself is useful. This team has to many three point shooters. I honestly don't get why they put korver, he is not a better rebounder or defender than demar, although I do think he is a better passer and three pointer shooter.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Laptop using KeyBoard.

  16. Like Dr. James Naismith liked this post
  17. #32
    Raptors Republic Starter GameBreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    Posts
    354
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Trade him now trade him now trade him now. This right here is the peak. His value will never be greater than right at this instant.
    Why trade someone who plays good???? This is why we're looked at as a JOKE!! Y'all want tank mode for UNPROVEN players and want to trade guys that are good on our team. Ease off the NBA2K14, for a bit, bro. Smdh. #AssBackwards
    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.


    "My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

  18. Like charlesnba23 liked this post
  19. #33
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,022
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote GameBreaker wrote: View Post
    Why trade someone who plays good???? This is why we're looked at as a JOKE!! Y'all want tank mode for UNPROVEN players and want to trade guys that are good on our team. Ease off the NBA2K14, for a bit, bro. Smdh. #AssBackwards
    hardy har har. nice one

  20. #34
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote GameBreaker wrote: View Post
    Why trade someone who plays good???? This is why we're looked at as a JOKE!! Y'all want tank mode for UNPROVEN players and want to trade guys that are good on our team. Ease off the NBA2K14, for a bit, bro. Smdh. #AssBackwards
    Because DD is good.

    We need elite.

    The draft has that chance

    /end

  21. #35
    Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London,ON
    Posts
    1,014
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    and can you give me the odds on that chance? Tanking isn't a sure thing. But having a player like DeMar is a sure thing, we know what he can and can't do, and now we just have to build this team with him as a piece. Free Agency has it's merits, so do trades and drafting deep in the draft. Kawii Leonard, Faried, Jrue Holiday, McGee, Ibaka, Rondo, Ellis, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, Zach Randolf, etc. are all players that were drafted in the late teens and early twenties. We may not get an Elite (Lebron, Durant, Kobe) type of player, but we can get a damn good piece for an already good youthful team. Scouting is the key and it looks like we spent and recruited a good staff this past summer.

  22. Like TRex liked this post
  23. #36
    Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London,ON
    Posts
    1,014
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh and we are 16-8 (.667) since the Gay trade, that's pretty impressive, and I can only see this team getting better.

  24. Like TRex liked this post
  25. #37
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    3,255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah i really don't understand the thinking. You already have a sure thing in DeRozan. A 24 year old soon to be all-star. But people here wants to move him for a draft pick, and HOPE that that player becomes elite? it doesn't make sense.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  26. #38
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    and can you give me the odds on that chance? Tanking isn't a sure thing. But having a player like DeMar is a sure thing, we know what he can and can't do, and now we just have to build this team with him as a piece. Free Agency has it's merits, so do trades and drafting deep in the draft. Kawii Leonard, Faried, Jrue Holiday, McGee, Ibaka, Rondo, Ellis, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, Zach Randolf, etc. are all players that were drafted in the late teens and early twenties. We may not get an Elite (Lebron, Durant, Kobe) type of player, but we can get a damn good piece for an already good youthful team. Scouting is the key and it looks like we spent and recruited a good staff this past summer.
    Nobody said, or has ever said, it was a sure thing.

    I will tell you one sure thing. DD will never be a superstar/elite player. A draft pick might be.

    Free Agency and Canada...are we gonna go down this road again?

    Trades? We have to trade something of value to get something of value back...DD is said 'something'

    One thing people seem to forget around here is that outside of the top 5 in the draft, the odds of even picking an all-star plummet. And the chances of picking a superstar are even less. Sure you can list those names of good players, but you can list way more Cole Aldrich's than Paul George's (Cole was drafted right after Paul BTW)

    The only team to win the NBA finals, or even be a team IN THE FINALS that didn't have an elite player was the Detroit Pistons. That is some serious dreaming if you think that by just adding a good player into our rotation will make us competitive.

    We need an elite player. The draft is still our best bet. Although....this year's draft is out of the question now.

    Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    Oh and we are 16-8 (.667) since the Gay trade, that's pretty impressive, and I can only see this team getting better.
    And yet we are barely winning against progressively worse teams...

  27. #39
    Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London,ON
    Posts
    1,014
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Nobody said, or has ever said, it was a sure thing.

    I will tell you one sure thing. DD will never be a superstar/elite player. A draft pick might be.

    Free Agency and Canada...are we gonna go down this road again?
    Nope, I agree DeMar will never be an elite/superstar player, but he can be a big part of a competitive team. A winning team will draw free agents, I'm not saying elite talent, but valuable players..

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Trades? We have to trade something of value to get something of value back...DD is said 'something'
    So are draft picks, I'm sure a first rounder would also bring back talent.

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    The only team to win the NBA finals, or even be a team IN THE FINALS that didn't have an elite player was the Detroit Pistons. That is some serious dreaming if you think that by just adding a good player into our rotation will make us competitive.
    I think it's possible to repeat that model. We already have two young prospects that could eventually be all-stars ,or at the very least, big contributors. But there is no point in arguing about their potential. History repeats it's self.


    If you go back and look at the last 10 drafts, there is anywhere from 1-3 all-stars or borderline all-stars in each top ten. Some drafts are better than others. There are that many all-stars/borderline all-stars available at 15-30. You don't have to tank to be competitive.


    A winning record is a winning record. At least they are beating the better teams
    Last edited by saints91; Sat Jan 25th, 2014 at 06:46 PM.

  28. Like YoungGunRaptor liked this post
  29. #40
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    Nope, I agree DeMar will never be an elite/superstar player, but he can be a big part of a competitive team. A winning team will draw free agents, I'm not saying elite talent, but valuable players..

    So are draft picks, I'm sure a first rounder would also bring back talent.

    I think it's possible to repeat that model. We already have two young prospects that could eventually be all-stars ,or at the very least, big contributors. But there is no point in arguing about their potential. History repeats it's self.



    If you go back and look at the last 10 drafts, there is anywhere from 1-3 all-stars or borderline all-stars in each top ten. Some drafts are better than others. There are that many all-stars/borderline all-stars available at 15-30. You don't have to tank to be competitive.
    Why the red??

    I don't think DD can be a big part of a competitive team unless he accepts a 20-25 minute 6th man role.

    History has not yet repeated itself with the Pistons. And one could argue that Billups and Rasheed were elite in the playoffs, and Ben was an elite defender. I don't think that trying to emulate the Pistons will get us past Lebron or Hibbert.

    I did a quick peruse of the 2008-2011 drafts for all-stars (i got lazy and stopped counting before 08)

    Drafted top 10: 10/40 <----- 25% chance of getting an all star, some of which are superstars
    Drafted 10-30: 3/80 <------- 3.75% of getting an all-star, and only 1/80 of a chance of landing Hibbert.

    Yupp, I want in the top ten tyvm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •