Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Leiweke the "Headhunter"

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Leiweke the "Headhunter"

Anyone who works in the recruiting industry is well aware of the term "headhunting'. I have to say I wish I had some the stars like Leiweke has available when I'm trying to find Senior Siebel Systems Admininstrators or DLPS C++ Software Developers in the nation's capital. Would make my job soooo much easier.

Regardless, here is a behind the scenes look at how he and the MLSE enticed Jermain Defoe to come overseas and play with the FC this season. Can wait to see if Leiweke pulls out similar moves with potential FA's for the Raptors this summer and years to come.

Quote Toronto Star wrote:
    He could not negotiate with the player — that’s tampering (though it’s a widespread practice). So he focused on Defoe’s closest advisor, his mother, Sandra.

MLSE invited Sandra for a week in Toronto in early November. Three staffers were assigned to care for her. She was put up at the Ritz. When she got to her room, there were flowers waiting. From Drake.

“Are these really from Drake?” Sandra asked.

Leiweke assured her they were.

They brought her to the ACC on the morning of Nov. 5 before a Raptors game with the Miami Heat. As part of the tour, Sandra visited the hockey dressing room. A Leafs’ jersey emblazoned with Defoe’s name was hung in every stall.

While there, staffers tried to connect Sandra to her son via Skype. They had trouble getting a steady connection. Eventually, they had to move out onto the ice.

Out in the hallway that runs from the Leafs’ dressing room to the basketball visitors’ quarters, LeBron James was waiting to accidentally bump into Sandra.

Leiweke had reached out to James’ manager, Maverick Carter, to ask for the favour.

Still fiddling with the laptop, she missed her window. James returned to begin his pre-game routine.

He’d do his part later. During a break in play in the Raptors game, he approached Sandra, who was sitting courtside with Leiweke. As he walked toward her, James wagged his finger in a familiar, teasing way. Sandra goggled. The most famous athlete on the continent leaned in to suggest Defoe would be happy in Canada.

Sandra turned again, delighted: “That was LeBron James!”

“Everyone loves Toronto,” Leiweke said.

After Sandra left, Leiweke sent Drake back in. The rap star was out on tour. Leiweke worked out a detailed pitch that Drake would make to Defoe over the phone. Defoe would later describe the call as “surreal.” This holistic come-on worked. Within a week, negotiations became serious.
    Source - Click here

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds so easy...

Post Thanks / Like

really?

lebron james?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly good on him. Tanking seems less likely at the moment (along with having a lot of other teams to compete with in this regard), and trades netting you star players do happen but are unlikely. That leaves the only option to getting better free agency. I'll believe it when I see it, in the history of our franchise we have never signed a star player in free agency. hedo turkoglu and the corpse of hakeem olajuwon do not count.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow

Just wow

Wow

Wow

I'm speechless
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

6. Like Shredder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy crap.

Raptors Republic Superstar FoxMachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

good lord that man is smooth and has some crazy clout, mind boggling

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

wow
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

My jaw dropped about 3 sentences in and stayed as such as I read the whole piece.

Absolutely insane.

11. Like Shredder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty impressive. Savvy move. Pretty sure he did something similar to get Beckham.

If that's the kind of money he's spending on our SOCCER Team, I can only imagine what he has in mind for the real money makers.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

He simply has the ability to ask for a favour, and get it from LeBron James..that is incredible! That shows the type of figure that Leiweke has. Just asking for favours? Incredible!

Between his power, Casey's basketball intelligence, and the brand/connections of Drake...the Raptors are in a great place moving forward!

14. Like Miekenstien liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness!

Post Thanks / Like

I think this also goes to show, to those who questioned the great TL, how savvy a move it was to get Drake on board, and just how universal his appeal is.
    In Masai we Trust.

17. Like rocwell liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we will get Lebron after all!

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I understand why Masai said that Raps will not be caught in no man's land.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kevin Durant next...?
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Stephen A. Smith recently said that there's a "mystery third team" in the Lebron sweepstakes this summer besides Miami and Cleveland, and he stated it wasn't the Lakers or Knicks.

Let the speculation begin!

22. Like mike, prague, enlightenment liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Stephen A. Smith recently said that there's a "mystery third team" in the Lebron sweepstakes this summer besides Miami and Cleveland, and he stated it wasn't the Lakers or Knicks.

Let the speculation begin!
    Lebron on this team would go on at least a 3 championship run..
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic Superstar FoxMachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

just finished reading the whole article and encourage everyone to do it if you havent yet. A lot of great stuff in there.

25. Like Jclaw, mcHAPPY, Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh.

So NOW you all get it.

NOW you all see why some of us don't think its out of the question AT ALL that the Raps make a run at Lebron.

Trust me man, this TL guy, he's a boss. He isn't here to take a paycheque. He see's an opportunity to do something thought impossible, and he is already showing people that it isn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if he pry'd Zizou out of retirement to play a couple years for TFC too. He thinks big like that.

I used to say Kobe, and this was 5 years back.... Kobe could sign here, instead of LA, and it would become his opportunity to do something exceptional. Only guys like him, and Lebron, Shaq, only these guys are immune to the whole marketing and sponsor thing, because they are world wide icons and will get theirs no matter if its, LA, Miami, Toronto or Yellowknife. What motivates these guys, is finding new ways to appease their ego, and new challenges for them to conquer. its how they are wired.

Having seen and heard what you have over the last month or so, can you now see how a guy Like TL, with Drake, and a full support blessing from Canada's top TWO media conglomerates can make shit happen, and that you can conceivably see a guy like Lebron James say, "you know what, I sign in Toronto, with that young and upcoming team, and we are gonna win a title, they got a tonne of draft picks, and a core, and I can do what NOBODY else could, I could eclipse Vinsanity, I could make Toronto a winner, an dwin the first ever championship off american soil".

Thats a real thing guys. Its a reality, guys think about that stuff. Now, think about this, they tell him he can have Vince as a back up guy, a vet, for the run..... now he's winning it all, in Vince's house, with Vince there to watch. THAT is a whol eother wrinkle and level of psychology.

I love this stuff..... this is my soap opera...hahahah

27. Like mike, prague, RPT23 liked this post
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information