Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: John Salmons and Amir Johnson's team options

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default John Salmons and Amir Johnson's team options

Raptors have 7M$ team options for both of John Salmons and Amir Johnson for next year.

Do you think they will pick up both? Only John? Only Amir? Neither of them?

Raptors Republic All-Star jacobdr4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say they just pick up amirs contract. As well as salmons is playing he's not worth another year at nearly 8 mill.

3. Like Tortacular, Letter N liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    Raptors have 7M$ team options for both of John Salmons and Amir Johnson for next year.

Amir is $5M guaranteed

Salmons is $1M guaranteed.

I'll be shocked if Amir is gone and Salmons is back.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

5. Like DanH, CalgaryRapsFan, Letter N liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like what Salmons has brought, but there's no way in hell I'd want them to keep that contract.

Amir is pretty much a no-brainer.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Salmons at the right price, but currently, Id prefer Vince Carter over Salmons due to contractual reasons and they bring similar things.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

i wouldn't resign salmons if it was for canadian tire money

he's had some nice moments here but this is what he does

shine on a team for a year and then stink up the joint

just look at the kings forums when they traded for rudy. most were more happy that they got rid of salmons than anything.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Since Salmons is essentially an expiring ($1 million guaranteed if waived by June 30), I wonder if there would be the opportunity to trade him for a bad contract and a draft pick or prospect. Assuming we're picking up the Amir option and trying to resign Lowry, the Raptors are going to be at the cap this year, regardless. Keeping one bad contract that puts us somewhere between the cap and the tax isn't necessarily an awful thing.

For example, if we could trade Salmons for Perkins plus a first-rounder (I know, Oklahoma never trades their first rounders), it wouldn't set us any further back next year, we could give Perk some backup C minutes, and in 2015 he comes off the books at the same time as most of our other undesirable contracts.
    tank-agnostic

Post Thanks / Like

So you guys think that Amir's option will be picked up and that Salmons will not be back with the team next year?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

So you guys think that Amir's option will be picked up and that Salmons will not be back with the team next year?
    Yes, this is pretty much what everyone thinks here.

Amir in IN, Salmon is OUT.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Raptors first question should be: are these guys worth $7M/yr. on the open market?

IF yes, then their next question should be: is picking up these team options the best fit to our on court and financial plans?

I like Amir a lot. He's the kind of player I'd like to see play out his career in Toronto if it makes sense.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I really like what Salmons does. But I like him at the 3 million range. I could see a scenario whereby we are capped out, and then it makes sense to pick up the Salmons option for trade leverage

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Amir is a no-brainier I would think.

Not sure why we wouldn't pick up Salmons' option either. He's been a solid guy off the bench so far, and if things go to shit, he only has $1 mil guaranteed.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Amir is a no-brainier I would think.

Not sure why we wouldn't pick up Salmons' option either. He's been a solid guy off the bench so far, and if things go to shit, he only has $1 mil guaranteed.
    It's not 1 million to resign him. It's one mil if he's waived. It's 7 mill to resign.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

16. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really depends what's out there, doesn't it? If you can find a Salmons level player for 3-5 Mill during the FA signing period then you let him go. Amir at 7 Mill is probably fair value.

Question: How does the 1 Mill guarantee work? Can you wave Salmons at anytime before or during the season or is there a window where any decisions with him have to be made?

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Amir should be a gimme.. his contract is for $7M, his waived amount is $5M. Why pay him $5M to go when he's one of the most productive guys on the team.

Salmons though is essentially an expiring contract. He can be waived by a team and they would only have to pay him $1M to clear up a lot of cap space. I think he's the most useful in a trade for a draft pick. Swap Salmons for a bad contract and a pick. If no trade suitors line up then he should be waived to clear up $6M from the cap.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Really depends what's out there, doesn't it? If you can find a Salmons level player for 3-5 Mill during the FA signing period then you let him go. Amir at 7 Mill is probably fair value.

Question: How does the 1 Mill guarantee work? Can you wave Salmons at anytime before or during the season or is there a window where any decisions with him have to be made?
    June 30, 2014 is the deadline. He needs to be waived before then if they want to save $6M. That's also after the draft but before the next season starts (a new season starts July 1).

20. Like blackjitsu liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    It's not 1 million to resign him. It's one mil if he's waived. It's 7 mill to resign.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thanks for clarifying.

I guess with Salmons, it's really just seeing how the rest of the season plays out...
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

At first when I asked this question is because I don't really see another good backup guard/forward who is free agent this summer who would do a better job than him and who would sign here for less and for only one year.

Post Thanks / Like

At first when I asked this question is because I don't really see another good backup guard/forward who is free agent this summer who would do a better job than him and who would sign here for less and for only one year.
    Good backup wings you can get for less than $7m next summer: Jodie Meeks, Shannon Brown, Thabo Sefalosha, Al-Farouq Aminu, Trevor Ariza, CJ Miles, Metta World Peace.

Now, I agree right now, it looks like Salmons should probably stay, which is why you waive him and then re-sign him for, say, a two year deal for $2.5-3m with a team option in the second year - probably throw in a $1m guarantee, he's earned that much. But he's not worth seven large! Come on now.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Salmons is a solid vet, but 7 million is too much for him

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information