John Salmons and Amir Johnson's team options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Really depends what's out there, doesn't it? If you can find a Salmons level player for 3-5 Mill during the FA signing period then you let him go. Amir at 7 Mill is probably fair value.

Question: How does the 1 Mill guarantee work? Can you wave Salmons at anytime before or during the season or is there a window where any decisions with him have to be made?
    June 30, 2014 is the deadline. He needs to be waived before then if they want to save $6M. That's also after the draft but before the next season starts (a new season starts July 1).

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
      It's not 1 million to resign him. It's one mil if he's waived. It's 7 mill to resign.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
      Thanks for clarifying.

I guess with Salmons, it's really just seeing how the rest of the season plays out...
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

At first when I asked this question is because I don't really see another good backup guard/forward who is free agent this summer who would do a better job than him and who would sign here for less and for only one year.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
          At first when I asked this question is because I don't really see another good backup guard/forward who is free agent this summer who would do a better job than him and who would sign here for less and for only one year.
          Good backup wings you can get for less than $7m next summer: Jodie Meeks, Shannon Brown, Thabo Sefalosha, Al-Farouq Aminu, Trevor Ariza, CJ Miles, Metta World Peace.

Now, I agree right now, it looks like Salmons should probably stay, which is why you waive him and then re-sign him for, say, a two year deal for $2.5-3m with a team option in the second year - probably throw in a $1m guarantee, he's earned that much. But he's not worth seven large! Come on now.

Comment

Salmons is a solid vet, but 7 million is too much for him
            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
              Salmons at the right price, but currently, Id prefer Vince Carter over Salmons due to contractual reasons and they bring similar things.
              Vince is a much better player.

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                Thanks for clarifying.

I guess with Salmons, it's really just seeing how the rest of the season plays out...
                I think there's nothing to see, 7 mil is a legit starter salary. Even if the Raptors decide they want Salmons on the roster, they will cut him and then re-sign him for the minimum (i.e. under 1 mil), like the Rockets did with Francisco Garcia.

Comment

There is no doubt Salmons will be gone next year.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                    Good backup wings you can get for less than $7m next summer: Jodie Meeks, Shannon Brown, Thabo Sefalosha, Al-Farouq Aminu, Trevor Ariza, CJ Miles, Metta World Peace.
                    And how many of them would accept a one year contract?

Comment

And how many of them would accept a one year contract?
                      1 year under 7 mil? Nearly all of them, I think. Ariza and Thabo might be the only ones that would refuse (I'm not sure they would refuse or not). Jodie Meeks and CJ Miles caliber players end up taking deals like 2 years / 4 mil total. So why wouldn't they take that 4 mil in a single year.
                      Last edited by BobLoblaw; Sun Jan 26, 2014, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Couple of people here have mentioned Vince.

I am i the camp that will never truly forgive Vince for what he did - taking games off (self-admitted) and publicly calling for a trade (completely took away Raps bargaining power).

Having said that, I am all about the Raps improving as a team. The recent attempt by MLSE to rehabilitate his reputation, perhaps in preparation for the All-Star game in 2016, leads me to believe they wish to sign him. It may be he wishes to rehabilitate his reputation as well. If he is available for a good price, I am okay with the Raps signing him. Doesn't change what happened, but I'm okay with him helping the Raps move forward. And then he can get his championship ring with the Raps and JV and Lowry and DD and Amir and TRoss and Kevin Durant in 2017.

Comment

I think keeping Amir's contract is a no brainer. As for Salmons it would depend on who we can sign in place of Salmons. As it stands he's the most reliable wing back up that we have. Salmons gives you a reliable veteran defender and secondary ball handler. Obviously 7M is too much for what he gives you but his contract is only an issue if it prevents the Raps from signing someone else that they really want. Looking at the FA list, there really aren't many reliable two way vets with ball handling capabilities out there. You can make an argument for Sefalosha and Ariza but their current teams would likely want to resign them. The other possible scenario is that the Raps end up drafting a wing with their first round pick, which would might force them into letting Salmons go. At the end of the day, despite his "bad contract" I'd still keep him unless a better option is available.

Comment

Bears wrote: View Post
                            I think keeping Amir's contract is a no brainer. As for Salmons it would depend on who we can sign in place of Salmons. As it stands he's the most reliable wing back up that we have. Salmons gives you a reliable veteran defender and secondary ball handler. Obviously 7M is too much for what he gives you but his contract is only an issue if it prevents the Raps from signing someone else that they really want. Looking at the FA list, there really aren't many reliable two way vets with ball handling capabilities out there. You can make an argument for Sefalosha and Ariza but their current teams would likely want to resign them. The other possible scenario is that the Raps end up drafting a wing with their first round pick, which would might force them into letting Salmons go. At the end of the day, despite his "bad contract" I'd still keep him unless a better option is available.
                            The idea that cap space is only valuable if you want to spend it right now is shortsighted. That cap space becomes very valuable when some team wants to drop a little bit of salary and get under tax, or needs help to make a deal work. Every year there are teams that leverage that 6 mil of cap space into a 1st round pick or other valuable assets.

Even if you wanted to keep him, you would still cut him and look to re-sign him on the cheap. You can do much better with 6 mil, whether it's a better backup, or space to be used in trades.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                              The idea that cap space is only valuable if you want to spend it right now is shortsighted. That cap space becomes very valuable when some team wants to drop a little bit of salary and get under tax, or needs help to make a deal work. Every year there are teams that leverage that 6 mil of cap space into a 1st round pick or other valuable assets.

Even if you wanted to keep him, you would still cut him and look to re-sign him on the cheap. You can do much better with 6 mil, whether it's a better backup, or space to be used in trades.
                              Good point. That said, remember the Raps have 4.5M of TPE to use (Gay trade), which allows them to exceed the cap space if needed. Now to your point, having cap space + plus TPE gives you more flexibility. On a side note, I'm not sure you can guarantee that you'll resign a player you just cut.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                                Vince is a much better player.
                                Vince is also a much better whiner and smirker. I experienced it first hand. Cuban loves him I hear...he should stay there.

Comment

Working...
                                X