• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its one game guys.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
      Its one game guys.
      So what?? Can't come up with a nickname for a guy?

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post

Thought it was pretty interesting to see his 51 points from the perspective of the LA commentary team.
        I'm sorry but after watching that review, we have a new nickname. Bingo! That was his signature game, it was a signature call. Bingo is his name. O.

Comment

Ross the Boss.
          You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

I prefer 3Ross.

But the thing about Ross is. He's a unique player. He's got unique skillset. He's a great 3pt shooter, he's a great dunker, very athletic and he's a great perimeter defender. Best perimeter defender the Raps have had since Doug Christie IMO.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

I have been saying the Terrence Ross-Paul George comparison for a while now and it has never been more apparent and true then now. The most impressive thing about the 51 was his ability to keep scoring in the mid range after they were running him off the 3 point line. We haven't seen much of his mid range game this season but I hope we start to see more going forward. I did a little bit of analysis and compared Ross's current season to PG24's second season in the league. The numbers are fairly similar going across the board but a slight edge for PG24 because of increased minutes. Here is the link:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...rgpa01&y2=2012

I think if he is to reach the "Paul George" level than he must do two things:
              1) Learn better defensive sequencing: Paul George is a lock-down defender no doubt about it. Ross is a solid defender but relies a little too much on his athleticism at times. Help defense is a little late, getting around screens is sloppy at times, and denying player tendencies aren't always the greatest. Improving those things will take him to the next level.
              2) Improve ball-handling: He was able to get around Redick and Green easily enough but struggled getting past Crawford and Barnes. Ross is a very explosive guy as we know and taking Redick of the dribble isn't that impressive. He is a good dribbler but does not have enough moves in his arsenal yet to get past the quickest defender. The improved ball handling will open up easier and better mid-range looks and of course the "MONSTA SLAMS (Jack Armstrong voice)"

I think that could be all that will be needed to push him to the next level. Whether he reaches that "Paul George" level is hard to predict but he will still become an all-star and one of the best wings in the league for years to come if he can lock those two things down

Comment

best player on the raptors

Comment

ross just got paid

Comment

JRedmond14 wrote: View Post
                    I have been saying the Terrence Ross-Paul George comparison for a while now and it has never been more apparent and true then now. The most impressive thing about the 51 was his ability to keep scoring in the mid range after they were running him off the 3 point line. We haven't seen much of his mid range game this season but I hope we start to see more going forward. I did a little bit of analysis and compared Ross's current season to PG24's second season in the league. The numbers are fairly similar going across the board but a slight edge for PG24 because of increased minutes. Here is the link:

1) Learn better defensive sequencing: Paul George is a lock-down defender no doubt about it. Ross is a solid defender but relies a little too much on his athleticism at times. Help defense is a little late, getting around screens is sloppy at times, and denying player tendencies aren't always the greatest. Improving those things will take him to the next level.
                    2) Improve ball-handling: He was able to get around Redick and Green easily enough but struggled getting past Crawford and Barnes. Ross is a very explosive guy as we know and taking Redick of the dribble isn't that impressive. He is a good dribbler but does not have enough moves in his arsenal yet to get past the quickest defender. The improved ball handling will open up easier and better mid-range looks and of course the "MONSTA SLAMS (Jack Armstrong voice)"

I think that could be all that will be needed to push him to the next level. Whether he reaches that "Paul George" level is hard to predict but he will still become an all-star and one of the best wings in the league for years to come if he can lock those two things down
                    Apparently Paul George has a guy who goes everywhere with him so he can work on his handles, I think in order for Ross to go to the next level he needs to work on his handle the most because if he can start blowing by people he would be unstoppable
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

JRedmond14 wrote: View Post

maybe its because i dont have my rosy coloured glasses on but i'm not seeing the similarities in stats.

per 36, it looks like ross is better at 3 point shooting and thats it. obviously its probably skewed due to the 51 point anamoly game right now as well.

overall PG takes less shots to get the same amount of points, had a better fg%, more offensive rebounds, way more defensive rebounds, twice the amount of blocks, 3 times more assists, and twice the amount of steals.

doesn't look at all similar to me stat-wise.
                      Last edited by iblastoff; Mon Jan 27, 2014, 07:36 AM.

Comment

It was amazing for someone so humble to get it. The biggest thing that impressed me was he was mad at not winning.

The real question, before everyone jumping saying our next superstar has arrived, is how will he adjust. Tonight should be a good indication of how he can handle things. DD is out and you know the vets in BKN will not allow him to go off for that. So lets see how things go tonight against a team on fire right now. The defense will be keyed on him. So tonight will be a glimpse of how he can expect things to go from here on out. One good thing is that this emergence will space the floor more for everyone else.

Comment

Honestly Ross has been my favourite player to watch all season. His shooting stroke is so pure, and he doesn't need to force his game. Someone said yesterday that his movement reminded them of Jordan, and I totally agree. I'm not saying he's anything close to Jordan's talent, but just the way he moves seems effortless. This young man has a high ceiling! Hopefully he gets more involvement on offence and takes advantage of it. It truly is consistency that he is lacking.

Wrong thread, but I really notice the raptors are missing one thing. This team needs more length and power in the front court. They have been bullied down low the last 5 games. I hope Masai can address this in the offseason (Monroe).

Comment

That putback jam and alley-oop in the 3rd has got to be the (all time?) best 2 consecutive plays I've seen from a Raptor. The chills from those plays are nothing I've experienced since VC days.

EDIT: For those wanting to compare VCs 51
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=bBPtQxeqPv8

EDIT #2: I know all of you were cheering and hoping Ross would erase VCs 51 off the record books :P
                            Last edited by chrischris; Mon Jan 27, 2014, 09:38 AM.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                              maybe its because i dont have my rosy coloured glasses on but i'm not seeing the similarities in stats.

per 36, it looks like ross is better at 3 point shooting and thats it. obviously its probably skewed due to the 51 point anamoly game right now as well.

overall PG takes less shots to get the same amount of points, had a better fg%, more offensive rebounds, way more defensive rebounds, twice the amount of blocks, 3 times more assists, and twice the amount of steals.

doesn't look at all similar to me stat-wise.
                              PG and Ross are completely different imo. Their bodies and playing styles are nothing alike. According to DX, George has four inches of wingspan and 6.5 inches of standing reach on Ross, not to mention at least fifteen and probably closer to 20 lbs of weight.

Ross doesn't draw fouls because he doesn't drive much. Last game he put it on the floor and got rewarded, but even with all those free throws he's still averaging less than 2 attempts per 36.

I think he's going to have real trouble dealing with tight ball pressure, once the scouting catches up. His handle in the half court just isn't there yet. Of his 51, 30 pts came from threes, 9 from free throws, and 4 from dunks. The remaining eight were from mid-range (including a sweet crossover on Redick) or layups.

This is why he's still inconsistent. Lots of 3s, some dunks in transition, but a lack of variety elsewhere. Off the bounce he tends to go lateral to set up his jumper instead of going to the basket.

Now, if Demar is out for a while, Ross will have a real opportunity to work on that part of his game. But I think we should temper our expectations. PG is a near-MVP calibre player. Those kind of expectations are why people crap on Demar and Val instead of appreciating their fairly solid contributions.

Comment

Fun topic re nicknames...

But those 'cool' nicknames (that aren't just player initials) usually capture how that player is different from everyone else. Big Shot Rob hit a bunch of big shots. Mailman is always healthy, always consistent, always running that pick and roll, always delivers. Durantula, Slim Reaper is slim and has long arms. Jet is quick + the Jet celebration. Mad Max is completely unpredictable; he might score 40 and play awesome defense, or he might score 0, or he might punch someone.

Now 3-Ross -- plenty of great shooters in the NBA. T Rex.. he doesn't even look like a dinosaur. If anything, you might call him Babe Ross, since he has this happy baby face. Terrence Boss... that's like calling him Airness or the King; it's cool after a 51 point game but it will never stick.

I don't know what makes Ross stand out compared to all other players. Maybe nothing yet. Maybe he needs to make a name for himself in the playoffs and get a bit more charisma.

Btw, Lowry seems much more ready for a good nickname. He's playing like a star, he's got character and charisma, and he's a powerful little guy that stands out. It's a shame Mighty Mouse is taken.

Comment

Working...
                                X