So, When Should We Start Worrying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, When Should We Start Worrying?

So, my crystal ball is in the shop getting fixed, but looking ahead at the final 21 games of the season I have the Raptors going 9-12 and I'm sad to say that's a optimist prediction from myself but mostly concerned on how we finish out this season because 12 of our last 21 games are on the road too which we're currently 10-19 this season.

March

Tue 09 @ LA Lakers - L
    Wed 10 @ Sacramento - L
    Sat 13 @ Golden State - W
    Sun 14 @ Portland - L
    Wed 17 vs Atlanta - L
    Fri 19 vs Oklahoma City - L
    Sat 20 @ New Jersey -W
    Mon 22 @ Minnesota - W
    Wed 24 vs Utah -L
    Fri 26 vs Denver - L
    Sun 28 @ Miami -L
    Mon 29 @ Charlotte -L
    Wed 31 vs LA Clippers - W

April

Sat 03 @ Philadelphia - W
    Sun 04 vs Golden State - W
    Tue 06 @ Cleveland - L
    Wed 07 vs Boston - L
    Fri 09 @ Atlanta - L
    Sun 11 vs Chicago - W
    Mon 12 @ Detroit - W
    Wed 14 vs New York - W

So, looking at the remainder of this season do we stand a chance of just creeping into the playoffs? Or could we find ourselves on the outside come April 14th? And if we do still end up making the playoffs, what do you think is the best scenario if we do end up in that 7th or 8th spot come playoff time?

We should've started worrying roughly the same time Hedo Turkoglu was signed to this team.

But we'll definitely make the play offs, as either the 7th or 8th seed. The Bucks and Bulls are going to overtake us down the stretch. Both teams are tougher, and they're coached by more competent people. I'd like to see us play Orlando in the play offs, just because we could probably win 1 or 2 against them in the post season, and it'll be entertaining to see the Toronto Fanboys piss their diapers when VC sticks the dagger.
    Last edited by nubreed000; Sun Mar 7, 2010, 05:22 PM.

Comment

The games against Sacramento, Portland, Charlotte and Miami look like they could go either way.

I'd consider it more 9 likely wins + 8 likely losses and 4 undetermined games that are too close to call.
      nbaroundtable

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
        We should've started worrying roughly the same time Hedo Turkoglu was signed to this team.

But we'll definitely make the play offs, as either the 7th or 8th seed. The Bucks and Bulls are going to overtake us down the stretch. Both teams are tougher, and they're coached by more competent people. I'd like to see us play Orlando in the play offs, just because we could probably win 1 or 2 against them in the post season, and it'll be entertaining to see the Toronto Fanboys piss their diapers when VC sticks the dagger.
        buuuut...charlotte might be better than both of them, not to mention the raps.

they wouldn't win a game vs. orlando. but it WOULD be fun to watch/listen to the ACC crowd BOOOOOOOING wince while he's having his way with DD, sonny et al.
        TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
          The games against Sacramento, Portland, Charlotte and Miami look like they could go either way.

I'd consider it more 9 likely wins + 8 likely losses and 4 undetermined games that are too close to call.
          maybe. i'd be inclined to agree with you, if they weren't all road games. and even if they were all home games, i'd only bet on beating sac (and only if i was using someone else's money).

unfortunately, as we enter the make-or-break period and teams (especially playoff-bound teams) start to bear-down, they'll regard games with the raps as 'must-win' games. the raps, conversely, will enter games against 'inferior' opponents (say, the 6ers, or SAC) assuming that they, as the 'superior' team 'should' win handily. so, where we would normally assume that the raps would win games they shouldn't as well as lose games they shouldn't, at this time of year, we're more likely to continue to see them lose games they shouldn't, but we cannot also assume that they will continue to win games they shouldn't.

or, maybe i'm just reaaallly pessimistic.

Comment

If the goal is to get to the playoffs then I am not worried yet (it doesn't matter who we face in the first round, we are going to be out regardless).

I doubt Chicago will get to 500 so all the Raptors need to do is win 9 out of the remaining 21 games.

Comment

can you say typical toronto team?

anyways, don't worry about it we'll be back on our feet soon enough, just watch. were gonna start to roll and we always beat boston at least once.

bosh was just a little out of whack since hes been out for a while and we had to readjust getting him back. all odds point to us being fine. but, theres always the chance of this being another typical toronto season by a typical toronto team.

i swear if you moved them outside of toronto and ditched mlse. they'd be fine.
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

The Raptors are still in the 6th seed and are beginning to get healthy. Losing Bosh hurt big time. I believe the Raptors will make the playoffs. We have the Bucks, Raptors, Heat, Bulls, and Bobcats competing for the remaining spots. Five teams competing for four spots. The Raptors aren't the worst team in the group.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  We have the Bucks, Raptors, Heat, Bulls, and Bobcats competing for the remaining spots. Five teams competing for four spots. The Raptors aren't the worst team in the group.
                  that MIGHT be true, but you can't really argue that they're actually better than those 4 teams. it's all a matter of who stays healthy, and who plays to their capabilities. unless the raps can somehow become an above-average road team immediately, they could be on the outside looking in come mid-april.

at the moment, i see a best-case scenario of 2 W's in their next 6 games (@ Sacto & @ GS); of the next 9 after that, the raps are 'better' or equal to 7 of their oppenents, BUT of those 7 games, 5 are on the road, so while they *should* go 5-2 in those 7 games, it'll more likely be 4-3 or 3-4. so, let's be cautiously pessimistic & predict 5-4 for this 9-game stretch.

for the final stretch of 6 games, they should go 3-3, but it could be 4-2 or 2-4; let's say 3-3 (figuring losses to CLE, BOS & ATL).

that puts them at 10-11 in the final 21 games of the season, for a final record of 42-40. is that enough?.

MIA is right behind them, but starting to play better (just beat LA & ATL), and have a redonkulously easy end to the sked (@ INDY, MIN, NYK, PHI, home to PHI, DET & NJ). 14-5 to finish the season isn't out of the question, but is probably a best-case; let's say they finish 12-7 in their final 19; that gives them a final record of 43-39.

MIL just moved ahead of the Raps, but have a tougher sked than MIA, so they could definitely drop a few games; however, they've played really well lately (4 losses since the end of Jan, currently 9-1 in their last 10, only loss in OT to ATL on the road). they have 20 games remaining, and 12 are at home; they *should* finish no worse than 9-11 (given their recent play with the caveat that they'll likely come back to earth). that would put their final record at 42-40 - same as the raps (so positioning would come down to head-to-head, which they - the raps - have already lost), and just behind the heat.

the bulls - in a bit of a free-fall at the moment (4 L's in a row). 20 games left, 10 on the road; it's a strong sked, & it starts out really tough (UTH @ home, then ORL, MIA, MEM & DAL on the road, then CLE @ home). they could very well lose all 6 & put themselves out of the race. it doesn't get a whole lot easier after that, and i can easily see them falling out of the race & being overtaken by CHA; might be the raps saving grace. that, and vinny del negro. of course, being a supporter of a team with triano at the helm, i should probably just keep my mouth shut about other teams' shitty coaches...

now...charlotte. 21 games left, 10 on the road (they've been bad on the road all season, though 4 of those games are more than winnable, even for them); going 10-11 to finish the season sounds about right, which would put them at 40-42, just behind TO...BUT, this is a team you just can't get a handle on. with sjax, wallace & thomas, you've got a nice blend of 'athletic' & 'crazy.' i wouldn't count out a team coached by brown, he should be good for an unexpected win or two down the stretch. don't be surprised to see them sneak past TO.

so, i guess i'm predicting the raps finish - at best - in the 7 spot; today, that matches them with ORL in the 1st round, but it's all relatively moot, since they're gonna get creamed by any of the top-4.

at least they'll have a relatively good 1st-round pick. oh, wait...

Comment

Well, I'm not worried at all. The Raptors started slumping when Bosh got hurt. Bosh it back and things will get back on track. It was only a couple weeks ago, before Bosh got hurt, that people were questioning if 4th seed was a possibility. Right now .500 still gets you to the dance and the Raptors have a 3 win buffer on that. I think we just need to chill because there's a lot of ball left.

Comment

say that all you want but most toronto fans still jump the gun all the time.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                        say that all you want but most toronto fans still jump the gun all the time.
                        +1

I'll admit, I'm guilty as charged LBF.

Comment

Working...
                        X