Marc Stein thinks Lowry is still being moved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    It would be a double-win for the Raptors, in terms of asset management, if they were to trade Lowry this season (assuming a team agrees to pay MU's price) and then re-sign him to a decent contract in the offseason (after he tests the free agent waters). As has been discussed, there appears to be a limited number of teams that will have both a need for a starting PG and the $8-10M cap space likely required to sign him.
    I don't think I've ever seen that happen outside of the NHL.

Comment

2kfeen wrote: View Post
      Nash is a horrible contract.
      Him, Fields, Hayes would be like $21 mill in wasted cap next year.

Nick Young is a good spark off the bench, but he doesn't have much upside, and his shot selection at times kills the offense.

We could probably fetch a young asset + 2 future firsts for Lowry & Amir.

At the deadline, we could easily flip Hansbrough (nice contract, and a good performer too) and maybe Novak (good 3 point shooting) to playoff performers.
      I could see Dallas wanting Hansbrough because of their lack of bigs with rebounding prowess.
      it has zero to do with the actual players but moreso when their contracts expire
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

As Chisholm mentioned, if the rumour is true it may be that Lowry's already let MU know he'd like to test the FA market. A couple articles last week quoted Ujiri describing how frank he's been with Lowry since day 1. Lowry knew he was on the block earlier this year and that Ujiri was ready to rebuild if the team didn't play well. It would make sense that Lowry may reciprocate that honesty and let Ujiri know what he's thinking. If Lowry wants to test FA this summer, he essentially won't care where he finishes up this season.

The Chris Bosh point is pertinent. As much as anyone likes Lowry or the team chemistry right now, if KL wants to go then KL wants to go.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I wonder if the Celtics, Lakers, and Bobcat losses had anything to do to change MU's mind on things...

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            I wonder if the Celtics, Lakers, and Bobcat losses had anything to do to change MU's mind on things...
            and/or the injury to DeRozan?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I think this is a great point.

I would add that many, including myself, have vastly overestimated the value of the Raptors assets.
              On what basis do you say that? I haven't seen any evidence of such a thing. In fact, I'd say most here underestimated most of our assets, in terms of value to their current team, but what do we have about what value others see?

That aside, I see many here taking this tweeted "rumour" (if it can even be called that) seriously. Stein's one of those "throw enough shit at the wall and something will stick" kind of media twitter hacks. Ahhh, the life of a NBA GM, having to deal with this kind of crap.

Comment

salmon wrote: View Post
                On what basis do you say that? I haven't seen any evidence of such a thing. In fact, I'd say most here underestimated most of our assets, in terms of value to their current team, but what do we have about what value others see?
                Given the trades offered for Lowry, I think it's fair to say that many of us expected/wanted more than that. Therefore, overvalued.

He also said many, not all. Strange comment to nitpick.
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Having 2 firsts + a young asset that hasn't busted in the NBA has less potential to fail for the Raptors than banking on one top-8 prospect to be the franchise savior.

At least with 2 firsts, plus NY's pick and our own picks, and the young assets we are piling up, we can make a trade for a star player like Kevin Love or a diamond in the rough (a trade like Houston's trade for Harden).

But really, why would LA do this trade anyway?
                  They have the cap-space this summer to sign Lowry outright without a trade, and giving away what could potentially be a talented player (Lavine, Wiggins, Embiid).

They could sign Lowry, sign Greg Monroe, some of their bench players, get a top pick, and be in contention next year.

Comment

Having 2 firsts + a young asset that hasn't busted in the NBA has less potential to fail for the Raptors than banking on one top-8 prospect to be the franchise savior.

At least with 2 firsts, plus NY's pick and our own picks, and the young assets we are piling up, we can make a trade for a star player like Kevin Love or a diamond in the rough (a trade like Houston's trade for Harden).

They have the cap-space this summer to sign Lowry outright without a trade, and giving away what could potentially be a talented player (Lavine, Wiggins, Embiid).

They could sign Lowry, sign Greg Monroe, some of their bench players, get a top pick, and be in contention next year.
                    Yeah I agree, LA probably wouldn't do that trade.
                    "Bruno?
                    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

The question is how much value would an additional roughly $10-15M in cap space be to LA? Yes, they could sign Lowry outright, but they'd still be paying Nash. A S&T deal with Toronto would replace Nash with Lowry, allowing LA to sign another player with the remaining cap space. In that case, from LA's perspective, the deal is really Nash & 1st round pick for whatever player is signed with the cap space (about $15M, when you include the guaranteed salary from a top-10 1st round pick).

Lowry & OKC's 2014 2nd round pick - Nash & LAL's 2014 1st round pick (done after draft, once Lowry can be S&T)
                      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Jan 27, 2014, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I think this is a great point.

I would add that many, including myself, have vastly overestimated the value of the Raptors assets.
                        OK, let's for one second try to name what was exactly on the table for Lowry instead of theoretically talking tank, maximize assets by showcasing them, resign players and add another key piece, etc...
                        To the best of my knowledge the only talked about Lowry rumor was Lowry for THJr/Shump and future 1st (probably a 2018 pick). And that proposal was shot down by NY, not us.
                        Maybe it's just me, but unless the front office has significant evidence Anthony is not resigning and they are going to a full-rebuild mode I think that offer was a kind gesture to the Knicks on MU behalf. Lowry is a very good starting PG in this league, and it's time we start valuing his worth. I'd much rather have him play out his contract, take my chances on resigning him to a contract we want then trading him for worthless stuff (expirings, 2nd rounders, and low-ceiling players). In the worst case scenario we can have more cap-room that can be used to either sign FA of our choice or use the cap-room space as a way of acquiring assets (helping teams get out of luxury, taking on poor contracts for future picks, etc). I have faith in MU and I know he will not sign Jennings or the likes to a 4 year - $50 million contract, so the cap-room will have more value then what teams low-balling us on Lowry are proposing.

Comment

If Lowry is traded we're right back to square one. It's a shame that his agent knows this as well.

Ah well, is it too much to expect an upgrade from Lowry at PG?

Comment

dzoni71 wrote: View Post
                            OK, let's for one second try to name what was exactly on the table for Lowry instead of theoretically talking tank, maximize assets by showcasing them, resign players and add another key piece, etc...
                            To the best of my knowledge the only talked about Lowry rumor was Lowry for THJr/Shump and future 1st (probably a 2018 pick). And that proposal was shot down by NY, not us.
                            Maybe it's just me, but unless the front office has significant evidence Anthony is not resigning and they are going to a full-rebuild mode I think that offer was a kind gesture to the Knicks on MU behalf. Lowry is a very good starting PG in this league, and it's time we start valuing his worth. I'd much rather have him play out his contract, take my chances on resigning him to a contract we want then trading him for worthless stuff (expirings, 2nd rounders, and low-ceiling players). In the worst case scenario we can have more cap-room that can be used to either sign FA of our choice or use the cap-room space as a way of acquiring assets (helping teams get out of luxury, taking on poor contracts for future picks, etc). I have faith in MU and I know he will not sign Jennings or the likes to a 4 year - $50 million contract, so the cap-room will have more value then what teams low-balling us on Lowry are proposing.
                            I think this will happen if the proposed returns aren't good enough. KL leading a playoff run is part of the cost-benefit analysis, for sure.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

LA will have cap-room, but they have $35 million commited to just two players in the backcourt (Nash and Kobe). Do you really think Lowry will be their no.1 priority in free-agency? Would they commit $10 million of cap-space to Lowry? If so, I think they will be looking to bring back Kwame to another LA run, because that my friends is what you can afford to get for a big-man on a non-contender. What good front-court player would want to sign with the Lakers at all if they can't offer money and they can't offer contention? Even the taxes in California are not pretty.

Comment

If Lowry goes to LAL, it will almost certainly be in a S+T for Nash and their 2014 pick, as stated above.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X