View Poll Results: What deal would you have preferred - Detroit or Sacramento?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sacramento

20 83.33%
  • Detroit

4 16.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Post-Rudy Trade Reflection: Sacramento or Detroit?

Raptors Republic Rookie dzoni71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    There are 11 games until trade deadline. If Lowry goes and if Raptors stumble the last 30 games and end up missing the playoffs, what a bloody waste of a year, in my opinion.

I don't think there is any question the Sacramento trade made the Raptors better this year. However I am not looking at this year in the big picture.
    OK, the Detroit offer (or anything similar) could have been had from several teams. That's basically a Gay for expirings trade. With the Sacramento trade you got Patterson which was a gold-find considering the contract. Truth be told I expected more from Vasquez, but you could at least hope where Stuckey was a lost cause.
    But even if we took the Detroit offer, without trading Lowry and DD we are not looking at the bottom of standings. And from what I hear MU was not against trading anyone on the roster if the price was right. Problem is, no one offered what we wanted in return. So we had two routes:
    1. Showcasing our players and driving their price up, hoping for a better return. Or if we see what we like keeping the team together and trying to upgrade to current core. (This is what MU is doing in my opinion)
    2. Tearing it all down, getting a high pick and building from the draft.
    The problem I have from 2nd route is that there are too many teams doing the same, and even a top 5 pick is not a a likely future hall of famer.

So do you think you want to put all your chances on drafting a new franchise player, or take the safer route and try to maximize return on every transaction you make? (Kinda like the guy that started with a pen and after 20 transactions ended up with a car)
    Jagdpanther - WW2 best antitank.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote dzoni71 wrote: View Post
    OK, the Detroit offer (or anything similar) could have been had from several teams. That's basically a Gay for expirings trade. With the Sacramento trade you got Patterson which was a gold-find considering the contract. Truth be told I expected more from Vasquez, but you could at least hope where Stuckey was a lost cause.
    But even if we took the Detroit offer, without trading Lowry and DD we are not looking at the bottom of standings. And from what I hear MU was not against trading anyone on the roster if the price was right. Problem is, no one offered what we wanted in return. So we had two routes:
    1. Showcasing our players and driving their price up, hoping for a better return. Or if we see what we like keeping the team together and trying to upgrade to current core. (This is what MU is doing in my opinion)
    The problem I have from 2nd route is that there are too many teams doing the same, and even a top 5 pick is not a a likely future hall of famer.

So do you think you want to put all your chances on drafting a new franchise player, or take the safer route and try to maximize return on every transaction you make? (Kinda like the guy that started with a pen and after 20 transactions ended up with a car)
    I feel as if you're overestimating the likelihood of such a trade(s) happening.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote dzoni71 wrote: View Post

Drafting is not the only way to obtain a franchise player.

Either of Vasquez and Patterson would have been obtainable this summer.

Building through the higher end of the draft maximizes probability of drafting a superstar - which happens to be the most likely way to obtain a superstar.

The Detroit trade offered cap savings. I'd rather not see the Raptors spend $6M on Hayes next year and $1M on Salmons' buyout given how valuable cap space is.

The only benefit of the Sacramento trade, in my opinion, is Patterson.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    What if we throw in the Boozer rumour from last year?

The man's averaging 15 and 8, is that low-post threat we've been missing since Bosh, and he's a large expiring contract next year.
    Wasn't that rumours of trade talks about Bargnani, not Gay?

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Drafting is not the only way to obtain a franchise player.

Either of Vasquez and Patterson would have been obtainable this summer.

Building through the higher end of the draft maximizes probability of drafting a superstar - which happens to be the most likely way to obtain a superstar.

The Detroit trade offered cap savings. I'd rather not see the Raptors spend $6M on Hayes next year and $1M on Salmons' buyout given how valuable cap space is.

The only benefit of the Sacramento trade, in my opinion, is Patterson.
    Why be worried about the cap situation if you are planning on tanking? If we are tanking next season, that extra cap space has little value.

Raptors Republic Rookie dzoni71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Why be worried about the cap situation if you are planning on tanking? If we are tanking next season, that extra cap space has little value.
    Yeah, no max-contract worthy player is signing as a FA in TO if we are rebuilding. If we are one player away from competing, that's another thing. And with the new management in place for the first time signing a premier FA is not impossible.
    Jagdpanther - WW2 best antitank.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It gets a little confusing, doesn't it? I would also add that the new CBA has MINIUMUM salary level, so money is going to be spent somewhere. The preference seems to be that we could have had JV and TR learning the ropes while playing with overpaid bums this year, and getting overpaid bums on 1 year contracts for them to play with next year?

Post Thanks / Like

Cap space is for more than free agency.

Useful tool in trades and helping other teams facilitate trades for a fee.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Sacramento was the right trade at the right time.

Raptors Republic Starter Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    It's hard to say what would've happened. Stuckey is a much better backup wing than Salmons. No Patterson, but I'd say a backup wing is a bigger need. Jonas/Amir/Hansbrough and a very good backup wing vs. Jonas/Amir/Hansbrough/Patterson/Hayes and Salmons as the best backup wing? I don't think it's so clear which rotation wins more games.

But most importantly, there would be no Gay from day 1. Chances are the Raptors wouldn't be 6-12 in those games. Addition by subtraction from the start of the season.

So I have my doubts that the Detroit trade would've meant a tank. Either way, it would've been a better trade because of cap space considerations.
    This right here. I think Stuckey would be a great fit next to Derozan and TRoss. With Stuckey on the team instead of Rudy, I think we start the season much hotter, playing kinda like we are now. Not sure if we'd have a better record by this point but we'd probably be pretty damn close to .500.

Matt52 keeps saying we could have signed Patterson or Vasquez in the offseason, but he neglects to mention they are RFAs and would be pretty much impossible to sign without overpaying. I look at Patterson as a key piece on this team moving forward, and I think Vasquez has the chops to be our long term backup PG as well (he's playing better since getting healthy).
    Even if we didn't want to keep them, a RFA coming off his rookie deal is a more valuable trade piece than a non-restricted expiring contract.

Also, cap space in 2015 would be pretty damn useless if we had just demolished the roster to go after a high pick. What worthwhile free agent would want to sign here? We'd be overpaying someone like ZBo just so we could make minimum salary. Wanting 2015 cap space (the detroit deal) over promising RFAs (Sac deal) doesn't make sense to me.

11. Like salmon liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sacramento deal. Better fit (character & skill-wise).

Patrick Patterson is a gem; Vasquez is a solid back-up; Hayes & Salmons are good veteran guys (steadying effect on the court & most likely in the locker room as well).

This deal gives Masai 4 different options going forward; although less cap space than the other deal.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote salmon wrote: View Post
    Wasn't that rumours of trade talks about Bargnani, not Gay?
    Good point. You may be right.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Rookie Skip2MyLou's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sac trade was clearly better for the Raptors franchise. People are interested in this team on a nightly basis.
    This off-season, the Raptors need to resign Lowry and Patterson, and let Salmons go if needed to get this done.
    Then in the 2015 offseason, the Raptors will have 31M in expiring contracts!
    The Raptors do not need a top 3 draft pick THIS year, they do not need another all-star THIS year, they do not need more cap space THIS year.
    Masai is setting up the for the future, sit back and enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Skip2MyLou wrote: View Post
    Sac trade was clearly better for the Raptors franchise. People are interested in this team on a nightly basis.
    This off-season, the Raptors need to resign Lowry and Patterson, and let Salmons go if needed to get this done.
    Then in the 2015 offseason, the Raptors will have 31M in expiring contracts!
    The Raptors do not need a top 3 draft pick THIS year, they do not need another all-star THIS year, they do not need more cap space THIS year.
    Masai is setting up the for the future, sit back and enjoy.
    I don't doubt this in the slightest.

However aimless, mindless, pointless banter should not be frowned upon as often is around here. If you're not interested in discussing opinions, why are you here? If you're only purpose is to criticize those who put out ideas and seek discussion, why are you here?

**you's are in general, not you Skip2MyLou**
    Tim Leiweke

Thread Information