No announcement yet.

Buyer's Market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trade John Salmons(1M guarnteed next yr so pretty much expiring), Julyan Stone and a 2016 draft pick to the 76ers for Thad Young and J-Rich(we take back a bad contract) 76ers can now tank to their heart's content. Then we flip Tyler to the Cavs for our Choice of CJ Miles(Who I prefer) or Alonzo Gee
    #BringBackUzoh

Comment

The guy who I think the Raptors should go after is Alec Burks. He is a 6'6, 6'11 wingspan, 211 lb combo guard who help strengthen our bench scoring even more. He would take over a sixth/seventh man role where he could also play the three. He is primarily a slashing scorer and the knock on him is his outside shooting. He is an excellent finisher and gets to the line about 4 times pg.

His contract right now is 2 years remaining with a $2,202,000 cap hit for 2013-14 and a $3,034,356 cap hit for 2014-15. At 22 years old, he is not even close to reaching his potential yet and he also recently had a career high of 34 points. He would make Salmons contract expendable this year if he fits in with the team.

It might take a pick to pry him away from the Jazz which is the only downside to this type of deal.

Comment

does anyone know if we could waive John Salmons at the end of the season, pay out the 1 million then do a VC style deal of 3 years at 3m per year? at 7 million we gotta waive or trade him but at less than half of that he is a savvy veteran presense
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
          does anyone know if we could waive John Salmons at the end of the season, pay out the 1 million then do a VC style deal of 3 years at 3m per year? at 7 million we gotta waive or trade him but at less than half of that he is a savvy veteran presense
          I thought that came up elsewhere in the forums and I believe the answer was yes, but I cannot say for certain.

Comment

Our biggest need right now is a PF/C with length and size. Players like Al Jefferson, Blake Griffin, Kevin Love are scoring at will on our small front line. MU should be looking for a starting PF that can cover the 5 when Amir or Patterson enter the game. Players like Monroe, Derrick Favours would be amazing pieces but will come at a hefty price tag. They are young enough to grow with the core, so I would put picks on the table to get them.
            Last edited by saints91; Wed Jan 29, 2014, 02:51 PM.

Comment

JV has pretty good size at C, but needs to get stronger and be more assertive which are things that will come in time. Amir has heart, but you're right. Against the better PF's he struggles due to lack of size and strength. Not sure if that is our biggest concern though. I still think we need a wing that can create and be relied upon to score during crunch time.

Comment

Ilyasova is a 3

people say you don't want too much of a good thing but when the skills you are duplicating are passing rebounding defense and 3pt shooting, high IQ unselfish basketball...well...give me 15 of those
                you sir just ruined my life...it was my understanding that he could play either with profeciency...if forced to choose however I would still take him over 2Pat even though I got love for Patman
                Ilyasova is better defensively at 4 --- he's still mediocre, especially defending power PFs in the post, but it's better than him defending most SFs in which case he's generally too slow. Offensively, his shooting gives you a bigger advantage at PF (lots of SFs can shoot, few PFs). Also, he doesn't have a post up game to punish smaller guys if you use him as a SF.

It's rare to have someone who can rebound, make 3s, pick and pop and play decent defense vs. PFs. That's his value. Using him mainly at SF would mean wasting that value. In that case it's better to spend those 8 or 9 mil on a Jeff Green or a comparable player (i.e. a more natural wing).

However, he's having a terrible season, which scares me. Confidence issues? Just a temporary problem of not getting in rhythm because there are so many new teammates and the new coach keeps shuffling lineups?

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                  JV has pretty good size at C, but needs to get stronger and be more assertive which are things that will come in time. Amir has heart, but you're right. Against the better PF's he struggles due to lack of size and strength. Not sure if that is our biggest concern though. I still think we need a wing that can create and be relied upon to score during crunch time.
                  I adding another wing would come at the expense of either DeRozan or TRoss's development. We already have seen vast improvements in TRoss's game and he would probably be the odd man out. Unless you are proposing either of them would be added in the trade scenerio.

I think adding to the talent in post is the greater concern. The Raptors are currently relying to much on three's, and we are currently 23rd in "points in the paint". Inside out should be the focus, and a good post game opens up the rest of the floor.

Comment

Do we really need a stretch 4? We are 10th in attempted 3's and 11th in made three's with our current roster. I don't think we need increased production in that area.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                      Do we really need a stretch 4? We are 10th in attempted 3's and 11th in made three's with our current roster. I don't think we need increased production in that area.
                      Agreed.

Let's focus more on an old school 4.

Comment

Salmons must be waived by June 30 of this year to avoid paying him a fully guaranteed 7M in 14-15. Not sure if that buyout is valued at 1M or some percentage of the full amount. Also not sure if he would want to resign if they just waived him, but who knows what J salms is thinking the guy is a mute.
                        Last edited by IROR; Wed Jan 29, 2014, 04:08 PM.

Comment

We can, I believe. But we would not have his rights, and would need cap space or an exception to sign him.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

In terms of assets we can move, what do people think of using our (likely overvalued at this point) 2014 pick as a "draft accelerator" to a team looking to accumulate picks this year - by trading our '14 pick for a '15 pick and asset from another team? Go to a team that has a good solid scoring wing (which I think is our single greatest position of need) and say "we will trade you our '14 pick for your '15 pick and that wing."

If nothing else, it signals to certain talents who might particularly want to sign with Toronto that 2015 is the year to declare (Wiggins is probably a lock to declare this year, the money's too good - but Tyler Ennis might go much higher in 2015, for example, than he will in 2014's stacked draft) and '15 picks will probably be easier to get this year than '14 picks.

Comment

It's what the Rockets did with Francisco Garcia. Of course, they gave him the minimum, not 9 mil. Which is about what i'd expect Salmons market value to be. Salmons at 3 mil a year for 3 years seems outrageous.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                                In terms of assets we can move, what do people think of using our (likely overvalued at this point) 2014 pick as a "draft accelerator" to a team looking to accumulate picks this year - by trading our '14 pick for a '15 pick and asset from another team? Go to a team that has a good solid scoring wing (which I think is our single greatest position of need) and say "we will trade you our '14 pick for your '15 pick and that wing."

If nothing else, it signals to certain talents who might particularly want to sign with Toronto that 2015 is the year to declare (Wiggins is probably a lock to declare this year, the money's too good - but Tyler Ennis might go much higher in 2015, for example, than he will in 2014's stacked draft) and '15 picks will probably be easier to get this year than '14 picks.
                                I don't know, that sounds hard to judge without seeing examples.

Comment

Working...
                                X