Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which referees screw us the most---please name names.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

psrs1 wrote: View Post
    No. It is to name specific refs who consistently give us bad calls. For example Leon Washington I find to be very fair and consistent in his calls. Not all refs are bad but some seem to repeatedly give certain teams the short end if the stick.
    That's sort of what I was getting at. If we look hard enough, I'm sure every ref in the league would be in the fans' crosshairs.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      That's sort of what I was getting at. If we look hard enough, I'm sure every ref in the league would be in the fans' crosshairs.
      But different refs for different teams suggests a huge bias factor.

Comment

Comment

But different refs for different teams suggests a huge bias factor.
          Or the bias could be from the fans since we don't watch all 30 teams with an equally critical eye

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Oliver Clothesov and Amanda Hugginkiss.
            The one that always seems to screw us is Ben Dover. But then, Mike Hunt has had some STINKER games too.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Someone should start a site that keeps track of referee stats. See who calls the most fouls, techs, charges, jumpballs, fouls in last 2min, 3 point fouls, etc.

It'd be cool to see if perception and reality match up.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                Someone should start a site that keeps track of referee stats. See who calls the most fouls, techs, charges, jumpballs, fouls in last 2min, 3 point fouls, etc.

In agreement. I think as fans we just want transparency and consistency.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post

In agreement. I think as fans we just want transparency and consistency.
                  How would that make any difference? Aren't missed calls just as telling as calls made? They wouldn't be captured in stats like that. Plus, most calls are subjective, where fans are likely far more biased than refs.

The biggest complaint I have about refs is consistency, which is often complained about by both teams (rightfully so) during the same game. That's poor quality reffing, but not biased.

Comment

The Referee From Space Jam
                    #BringBackUzoh

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      How would that make any difference? Aren't missed calls just as telling as calls made? They wouldn't be captured in stats like that. Plus, most calls are subjective, where fans are likely far more biased than refs.

The biggest complaint I have about refs is consistency, which is often complained about by both teams (rightfully so) during the same game. That's poor quality reffing, but not biased.
                      Why not keep track of percentage of wrong/missed call?

Comment

NBA could hire consultants to track

Comment

That could work for the blatantly obvious wrong calls (like the ones where the league issues a public apology afterwards), but like CRF suggested, most "bad" calls are too subjective to determine....especially the dreaded block/charge calls.

Was the defender moving? Was he stationary? Was he leaning? Replays may not always reveal a correct answer.

Comment

Who would be the judge?

I've watched all sorts of games (NBA and many other sports) with friends and family who were equally passionate about the same team, and still had arguments over calls made/missed.

Talking about the NBA specifically (and the play that caused this thread), lots of charge/block fouls are tough to call in slow motion replay, seen from multiple angles, let alone in real-time. It would be hard to come to a consensus over certain calls, as to whether they are right or wrong.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              I don't know. "training" isn't that critical for reffing. What you need is high level of accountability, which seems pretty unlikely. *Edit: Refs getting sharper is usually dependent on high quality evaluation from a different, 3rd party (eg. ref supervisors) perspective. That means having real authority at the top, and having a wide enough pool that you can rotate guys in/out when they're failing/succeeding. I think this last part is the big problem with the NBA. If the pool were bigger it would force guys to perform at their best as they could lose work. Then you could also increase salaries (per game) so that a quality ref will have more assignments and make more money.
                              I'll preface what I'm about to say with the admission that I've never reffed any sport on any level. Now that that's out of the way...I just don't see how regular training couldn't be massively beneficial. Basketball so fast and complex, and regularly practicing the snap-decisions you're faced with (using, i.e., some kind of in-game simulation) could only help IMO.

They do, they just don't make it public.
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                                They do, they just don't make it public.
                                Well unless they use that information to make changes whats the point? lol cause they obviously don't
                                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X