Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

Thread: Which referees screw us the most---please name names.

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ANGERVILLE: Population 1
    Posts
    7,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    They should start by paying them more. Like, a million dollars a year. Would attract better candidates.
    So your saying that in order to fix bad refs is to pay them more? IMHO that makes absolutely no sense

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ANGERVILLE: Population 1
    Posts
    7,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Not sure that would help. Part of the problem is clearly that some refs want to be part of the "show" *cough* Dick Bavetta *cough*. Not sure making them millionaires will help with such guys.
    Yeah exactly the problem is that instead of them reffing and being a medium they want to be part of the action and affect the game!!!

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
    So your saying that in order to fix bad refs is to pay them more? IMHO that makes absolutely no sense
    Maybe read the third of the three sentences I wrote I'm saying they should raise the pay scale to attract better quality candidates.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ANGERVILLE: Population 1
    Posts
    7,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Maybe read the third of the three sentences I wrote I'm saying they should raise the pay scale to attract better quality candidates.
    So you just fire all the current refs?

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
    So you just fire all the current refs?
    Heheh well, I was thinking more longterm. This wouldn't address the current refs at all.

    One thing I've always wondered: what does an NBA refs day/week/year look like? How much time do they put in aside from reffing actual games? How much training do they do to stay sharp?

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Heheh well, I was thinking more longterm. This wouldn't address the current refs at all.

    One thing I've always wondered: what does an NBA refs day/week/year look like? How much time do they put in aside from reffing actual games? How much training do they do to stay sharp?
    I don't know. "training" isn't that critical for reffing. What you need is high level of accountability, which seems pretty unlikely. *Edit: Refs getting sharper is usually dependent on high quality evaluation from a different, 3rd party (eg. ref supervisors) perspective. That means having real authority at the top, and having a wide enough pool that you can rotate guys in/out when they're failing/succeeding. I think this last part is the big problem with the NBA. If the pool were bigger it would force guys to perform at their best as they could lose work. Then you could also increase salaries (per game) so that a quality ref will have more assignments and make more money.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Jan 28th, 2014 at 09:48 PM.

  7. Like JawsGT liked this post
  8. #27
    Raptors Republic All-Star KazanTheMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,712
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Joe Crawford or Dick Bavetta? (both are appropriate answers)



    dick bavetta, that's it. Haha
    "Masai WILL win us a championship"
    - Tim Leiweke

    Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

    Reporter: "How can you say that?"

    Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

  9. #28
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This entire thread is basically, "how many refs can you name?"
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  10. #29
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,782
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    This entire thread is basically, "how many refs can you name?"
    No. It is to name specific refs who consistently give us bad calls. For example Leon Washington I find to be very fair and consistent in his calls. Not all refs are bad but some seem to repeatedly give certain teams the short end if the stick.

  11. #30
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,782
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree with the concept of in dependant evaluation of performance.

  12. #31
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    No. It is to name specific refs who consistently give us bad calls. For example Leon Washington I find to be very fair and consistent in his calls. Not all refs are bad but some seem to repeatedly give certain teams the short end if the stick.
    That's sort of what I was getting at. If we look hard enough, I'm sure every ref in the league would be in the fans' crosshairs.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  13. #32
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,782
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    That's sort of what I was getting at. If we look hard enough, I'm sure every ref in the league would be in the fans' crosshairs.
    But different refs for different teams suggests a huge bias factor.

  14. #33
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default





  15. Like .40 Cal Flakes, Nilanka liked this post
  16. #34
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    But different refs for different teams suggests a huge bias factor.
    Or the bias could be from the fans since we don't watch all 30 teams with an equally critical eye
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  17. Like Letter N liked this post
  18. #35
    Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    677
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Oliver Clothesov and Amanda Hugginkiss.
    The one that always seems to screw us is Ben Dover. But then, Mike Hunt has had some STINKER games too.
    Dwane Casey says: Pound the Gay!!

  19. #36
    Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Someone should start a site that keeps track of referee stats. See who calls the most fouls, techs, charges, jumpballs, fouls in last 2min, 3 point fouls, etc.

    It'd be cool to see if perception and reality match up.

  20. Like Puffer liked this post
  21. #37
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,782
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Someone should start a site that keeps track of referee stats. See who calls the most fouls, techs, charges, jumpballs, fouls in last 2min, 3 point fouls, etc.

    It'd be cool to see if perception and reality match up.
    In agreement. I think as fans we just want transparency and consistency.

  22. #38
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Someone should start a site that keeps track of referee stats. See who calls the most fouls, techs, charges, jumpballs, fouls in last 2min, 3 point fouls, etc.

    It'd be cool to see if perception and reality match up.
    Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    In agreement. I think as fans we just want transparency and consistency.
    How would that make any difference? Aren't missed calls just as telling as calls made? They wouldn't be captured in stats like that. Plus, most calls are subjective, where fans are likely far more biased than refs.

    The biggest complaint I have about refs is consistency, which is often complained about by both teams (rightfully so) during the same game. That's poor quality reffing, but not biased.

  23. #39
    Raptors Republic Rookie feet85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Scarborough,ON
    Posts
    178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Referee From Space Jam
    #BringBackUzoh

  24. #40
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,782
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    How would that make any difference? Aren't missed calls just as telling as calls made? They wouldn't be captured in stats like that. Plus, most calls are subjective, where fans are likely far more biased than refs.

    The biggest complaint I have about refs is consistency, which is often complained about by both teams (rightfully so) during the same game. That's poor quality reffing, but not biased.
    Why not keep track of percentage of wrong/missed call?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •