X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can ANYONE explain coach Casey?!?!

There was mention of this at the end of this newly posted article:

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2014/...ts-commentary/

But I wanted to seriously ask if anyone has any explanation as to why Casey is all of a sudden a drastically better coach than he was pre-trade?

Yes, he still makes mistakes and we question some of his rotations, but that will happen with every coach.

The play against the Nets where he was 5 steps ahead, really got me thinking about this.

And also, has the way he has coached over the last nearly 30 games change anyone's perception of him? Can he realistically get us to the next level?

Rudy Gay was the problem IMO.

I like Casey. I like the emphasis on defence, which I believe is necessary to successfully navigate the Eastern playoffs.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
      Rudy Gay was the problem IMO.

I like Casey. I like the emphasis on defence, which I believe is necessary to successfully navigate the Eastern playoffs.
      I also think that Casey was partly responsible for enabling Rudy and his awful inefficient tendencies.

I don't think Rudy just chose to have 30% of the offense run through him.

Comment

People tend to think coaches don't learn too. Like they're incapable of progressing. But there's a lot of really good coaches that didn't have good first years. Or you could even look at Jason Kidd. Not saying he's a good coach now but it was downright embarrassing for him at the beginning.

There's probably a lot of factors, but it's more than just Rudy Gay IMO.
        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Year 1 - Casey had a roster of mostly vets, but not much talent scoring the ball

Year 2 - Casey had a roster with a rookie starting at center, two rookies coming off the bench, starting pg that wasn't healthy and eventually an inefficient wing combo of DD and Gay

Year 3 - Casey once again has a roster of vets with two sophmores in the starting line up that now have some experience and have been taught to play the "right" way, a healthy pg, and guys that buying into the system.

I don't really see a dramatic change in the way Casey coaches since he first got here. Reflecting back on the 3 years he's been here I can see why the defense was good in year 1 and 3, but so poor in year 2 (rookies vs. veterans). Offensively the changes are coming much more slowly, but it's clear MU did his homework when he traded Gay for those specific players from Sacramento. Each one clearly brings something to the table and fit well into Casey's system. Trading for players that fit coach Casey's system makes me think Casey will be extended at some point.

Comment

I always thought Casey got way too much credit early on in Toronto and way too much blame for last year's fiasco. Also, I think it is incredibly difficult for an outsider to make judgments on head coaches cause we aren't there day in and day out.

Having said that, I have noticed two areas of seeming dramatic improvement with respect to Casey:

1. Game Management. Ever since he committed one of the most egregious and inexplicably stupid time management errors I have ever seen in the NBA (the decision not to foul and Charlotte and letting the clock expire) he has been much better with his overall game management. He is calling timeouts at appropriate intervals; he is utilizing his full slate of timeouts better; his endgame time management has been much, much better.

2. Rotations. I am not sure if this is Casey changing so much as it is circumstances forcing his hand but he's giving more time (and more consistent time) to guys who help you win games like Ross and JV and he has slotted in a consistent rotation where everyone knows his role. I think this is largely a function of the roster changes after the Gay trade leaving him little choice about who to play but good for him for not mucking it up.

Comment

His assistant coaches.
              Haven't you noticed his assistant coaches drawing plays during timeouts in crucial moments of the games, instead of him? I believe, it was quite obvious. Not saying he's that bad as Kid, but he surelly accepted help from his collegues.
              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                His assistant coaches.
                Haven't you noticed his assistant coaches drawing plays during timeouts in crucial moments of the games, instead of him? I believe, it was quite obvious. Not saying he's that bad as Kid, but he surelly accepted help from his collegues.
                Nailed it.

Most of last year's assistants are gone.

Nurse and Bayno are lead assistants and brought in. They are his right and left hand men during games.

I don't think they have been given enough credit.... however head coach takes the praise and the blame so only fair to be giving credit to Casey right now.

Comment

Nick Nurse and Casey make a great team, also The team has finally bought into what he wants. Less defenseive liabilities in Bargnani and Calderon... No blackholes and guys putting themselves above the teammates Gay, Bayless and Johnson. No worthless vets coming off the bench.... Gray, Butler, Carter. A GM that values his input in Masai Ujiri.

Comment

rseal wrote: View Post
                    I also think that Casey was partly responsible for enabling Rudy and his awful inefficient tendencies.

I don't think Rudy just chose to have 30% of the offense run through him.
                    I think this is very true. Casey put Rudy into that role and Rudy accepted it and tried his best (as any player would). It just was not a good fit at all. He's not a player who can put a team on his back. But he tried the only way he knew how, by trying to score a lot. Casey enabled him by running (painful to watch) iso's on what seemed like every trip down the floor.

So MU traded away the piece that was shooting the team in the foot and got back quality rotation players. That makes things a lot easier on a coach. He's stayed consistent with his message and while a coach doesn't always have a huge influence on the culture and chemistry of the team, in this case it's been a positive fit.
                    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Casey using his assistants in crucial moments does not make him a bad coach fyi. Properly using your team makes you a good coach, setting your ego aside and letting someone draw up a big play for you on offence probably isn't easy and I respect that.
                      read my intelligent tweets

Comment

I think there are a number of factors making it appear that Casey has made a giant leap, though that's not necessarily true. A great point, that Employee made is that coaches learn and grow too. That could be a big part, partly being aided by his new assistants, another point brought up, though we have no idea how much comes from that direction.

I think the biggest parts are that individual players are improving (eg. there isn't anybody still saying that DD "is what he was last year", are there?), but mostly that he has a much better mix of players, and they're ALL finally buying into what he's been preaching all along. The new bench has certainly improved the mix and depth, but it's the pre-trade players that made the big leap. Maybe it was the message sent by MU executing that trade, and showing he was on the same page as Casey, and it was time to pay a lot more attention to what the coach was trying to do. Let's face it, those existing players changed how they approached the game, at both ends, within only a couple of hours of hearing of the trade. Casey didn't suddenly transform, but the players did. As someone already pointed out, the coach gets too much credit for success and too much flack for the lack thereof.

Comment

I think Casey finally has the right players in his system to show his true worth as a Head Coach. He had a brief stint as HC in Minnesota but this was finally his big break. I think he has also found what he has got to get his team to do for them to win, which is very important. IMO Casey preaches the right things for this team to do to become a championship caliber team. 3/4 guys you got from the Gay trade are good two-way/defensive minded players. Casey definitely has shown he can get the job done and he is the right guy going forward.

Comment

ryley_b wrote: View Post
                            Casey using his assistants in crucial moments does not make him a bad coach fyi. Properly using your team makes you a good coach, setting your ego aside and letting someone draw up a big play for you on offence probably isn't easy and I respect that.
                            I haven't said he is a bad coach (he's been average) I'm just saying that he has never been such good coach as he is now and that is basically a result of his assistant coaches. That is why I chose Kid for example, because at one moment it was quite hilarious and obvious that Brooklyn Nets had 3 coaches, while one of them (Kid) was more like a mascot than strategist, that's an example of a BAD coach, he's rookie though, will get better...
                            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Nailed it.

Most of last year's assistants are gone.

Nurse and Bayno are lead assistants and brought in. They are his right and left hand men during games.

I don't think they have been given enough credit.... however head coach takes the praise and the blame so only fair to be giving credit to Casey right now.
                              I agree that he is using his assistants during games for sure, and that these people are much better than last year. At the same time, it is so confusing to me as to why after the trade, he started going with a strict 9 man rotation. He is playing 9 guys every game. What happened? He used to play 10-12 every game.

For me, this was the strangest, yet most significant change since the trade.

Maybe he had a meeting with his staff and they all agreed to make changes to their strategy? I think that there was a conversation about it where the coaches decided to make changes. Nothing else makes sense to me

Comment

Working...
                              X