Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

Thread: Terrence Ross comparisons

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Terrence Ross comparisons

    A year and a half ago I set up a draft game for the 2012 draft that omitted the name of the draftee and focused on the skill sets that different websites and scouts were highlighting. Andre Drummond was winner of the "Would you rather" tournament pick'em and the thread closed with my comment:

    Could be dynamic (refering to JV and Drummond together)... but it looks like Drummond will be going a lot higher than 8th.
    Although we picked Drummond, I remember a bunch of us being really high on Ross because of what he brought on paper (didn't have the high profile name that Rivers had, but could shoot, defend, pass). It seems others are taking notice now after the 51... here are some clips from a recent article from Realgm:

    Coming into the draft, while he was well-regarded by many talent evaluators, his name never rung out among even hardcore NBA fans. After Florida made a run to the Elite Eight, freshman Bradley Beal was widely seen as the top 2-guard available. Ross had less profile than Austin Rivers, who played for Duke, had a famous father and hit a buzzer-beater over Tyler Zeller on national TV. Ross was just another name in one of the best crops of SG’s in many years.
    Every member of their 9-man rotation, as well as Dwane Casey, deserves some credit for that, but Ross has more than done his part. In 18 games as a reserve, he averaged six points and two rebounds on 41 percent shooting. In 27 games as a starter, he is averaging 13 points, four rebounds, one assist and one steal on 42 percent shooting. While most players get less efficient in a bigger role, Ross’ efficiency has increased, an indication he is getting more comfortable in the NBA.
    And while Ross is shooting 41 percent from deep on 4.7 three-pointers per game, he is more than just a shooting specialist. He has the quickness to beat his defender off the dribble and he is one of the best finishers in the NBA, as Manimal found out on Friday. Unlike most scoring guards, Ross is unselfish enough to move the ball and not hunt for shots. He takes what the game gives him; he’s Kyle Korver with the ability to put the ball on the ground and a 40’ vertical.

    Ross gets points as easy as any guard in the NBA, although you wouldn’t always know it even from his breakout season, since he still shares the ball with DeRozan and Kyle Lowry. It’s no coincidence that his break-out game last week, when he dropped 51 points on the Los Angeles Clippers, came on a night when DeRozan was limited after rolling his ankle. Ross needed only 29 shots to get 51, scoring from every part of the floor with absolute ease.
    Over the last generation, many of the league’s best shooting guard prospects have been undone by getting too much too soon. Ross has been the exact opposite, an All-NBA talent forced to pay his dues and learn the game at every stop of the way. Now after a three-year apprenticeship, he is starting to come into his own. In three years, when he’s 25, he will be one of the best SG’s in the NBA. He’s Paul George in 2011, a young role player on the cusp of stardom.
    Here's the rest of the article: link It's a decent read, with a tad bit of over-optimism for me.

    I remember at the time of the draft someone on Raps Republic compared him to Latrell Sprewell (sans attitude). What are the comparisons now?
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Tmac demeanour and potential.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This year, the name that comes to me most is McGrady: for the willingness and athleticism to be able to rebound in traffic, for the instincts and quickness that make it possible for him to change a game defensively, for the ability to see the court and make plays for teammates, for the tendency to score in bunches in a variety of ways, for the unlimited range on his jumper, and for the cool, detached on-court demeanour. Now, most of what I've mentioned, he still only shows in flashes, and I don't think he ever ends up at McGrad's level, but I think McGrady-lite is a very attainable ceiling for him.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I still think he's more like Ray Allen than anybody else. Jesus Shuttleworth was also in the dunk contest in his rookie year. If he's a hybrid of T-Mac/Allen man we've got a gem.

  5. Like Just Is liked this post
  6. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star KazanTheMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,714
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I honestly think trading derozan would be the best for this team, because it would allow for Ross to flourish. If they aren't set on trading demar, then they need to start distributing the ball a bit more evenly among the two.
    "Masai WILL win us a championship"
    - Tim Leiweke

    Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

    Reporter: "How can you say that?"

    Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

  7. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
    I honestly think trading derozan would be the best for this team, because it would allow for Ross to flourish. If they aren't set on trading demar, then they need to start distributing the ball a bit more evenly among the two.
    One of them may have to go, to make way for a meatier three.

    But you could also game plan around exploiting the quickness advantage.

  8. #7
    Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
    I honestly think trading derozan would be the best for this team, because it would allow for Ross to flourish. If they aren't set on trading demar, then they need to start distributing the ball a bit more evenly among the two.
    if anything, having ross behind demar HAS caused terrence to fluorish this year.

  9. Like Fully liked this post
  10. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
    I honestly think trading derozan would be the best for this team, because it would allow for Ross to flourish. If they aren't set on trading demar, then they need to start distributing the ball a bit more evenly among the two.
    Don't think Ross can handle that much right now

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

  11. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ANGERVILLE: Population 1
    Posts
    7,825
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
    I honestly think trading derozan would be the best for this team, because it would allow for Ross to flourish. If they aren't set on trading demar, then they need to start distributing the ball a bit more evenly among the two.
    Ross cant do that yet, just let him play behind Derozan for now and when he gets better and better get a better 3
    He's 2 years away from being 2 years away, but his wingspan is already here .

  12. #10
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    T-Mac? wow. Come on man. It's not even close.

    Ross reminds me a lot of a young Eddie Jones. A more athletic version.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  13. Like Letter N liked this post
  14. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,420
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    T-Mac? wow. Come on man. It's not even close.

    Ross reminds me a lot of a young Eddie Jones. A more athletic version.
    Ya ya'll are nuts, T-Mac and Ross aren't even close.

    I like the Eddie Jones comparison though, maybe with a bit better 3-pt shooting.

  15. Like TRex liked this post
  16. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    T-Mac? wow. Come on man. It's not even close.
    Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Ya ya'll are nuts, T-Mac and Ross aren't even close.
    Which is why I wrote McGrady-lite.

  17. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    if anything, having ross behind demar HAS caused terrence to fluorish this year.
    I agree. He is a long ways from having to deal with the focus of team's defensive schemes.

    I do like the George comparisons in terms of athleticism and body type.

    His style of offense is more Reggie Miller minus the clutch ability imo.

  18. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Ya ya'll are nuts, T-Mac and Ross aren't even close.

    I like the Eddie Jones comparison though, maybe with a bit better 3-pt shooting.
    Oh fair enough, no one is saying he will become T-Mac, but his demeanour, how smooth he looks out there (without looking like he is trying hard), his ability to score a subtle 50, then there is the speed, hops, and length. He also has those sleepy eyes in my opinion.

    He has shown moments/flashes of T-Mac, not saying he will become T-Mac.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

  19. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter Buschfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    T dot Oh
    Posts
    226
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    http://basketball.realgm.com/blog/23...n-For-Optimism nice article about TRoss on RealGM
    Buschfire

    Raptors fan since day 1.

  20. #16
    Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buschfire wrote: View Post
    Trying reading before posting. The whole point of this thread was to discuss that very article.

  21. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,960
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    George, Granger, Hibbert = Ross, DeRozan, Valanciunas?

  22. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,337
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
    I honestly think trading derozan would be the best for this team, because it would allow for Ross to flourish. If they aren't set on trading demar, then they need to start distributing the ball a bit more evenly among the two.
    Right...heaven forbid that Toronto has three guards who can score 20+ let's cut that down to just 2...

    They play different games. This isn't a Rudy or DeMar thing where both play best in the same parts of the court. If you keep both then you could potentially have DeMar, Ross, Lowry and JV scoring around 20 per. That would be disgusting. All score differently, are willing passers and play respectable defense.

    As far as who Ross most closely resembles? Tough to say. Maybe when his ball handling gets a bit better things will become a bit more clear.

  23. Like Fully liked this post
  24. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    Ross gets the edge in the dunk contest.
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

  25. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star KazanTheMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,714
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Right...heaven forbid that Toronto has three guards who can score 20+ let's cut that down to just 2...

    They play different games. This isn't a Rudy or DeMar thing where both play best in the same parts of the court. If you keep both then you could potentially have DeMar, Ross, Lowry and JV scoring around 20 per. That would be disgusting. All score differently, are willing passers and play respectable defense.

    As far as who Ross most closely resembles? Tough to say. Maybe when his ball handling gets a bit better things will become a bit more clear.
    You're not gonna know what Ross can accomplish if you have DeMar hogging all the possessions. I'm not saying just trade DeMar for nothing, only if it's a good return. I think thy can play together, but as I said, you need to distribute the ball more evenly between the two. Btw, I mean for next season, because I'm well aware that Ross isn't close to ready to be a focal point of an offence.
    "Masai WILL win us a championship"
    - Tim Leiweke

    Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

    Reporter: "How can you say that?"

    Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •