SG - Doug Christie
    PG - Alvin Williams

2nd Team
    C - Marcus Camby
    PF - Keon Clark
    SF - Jorge Garbajosa
    SG - Anthony Parker
    PG - N/A

I'd have to argue with Camby in there at center on the second team. Did you forget about one Kevin Willis?

That is the one position I can think of that this team has struggled with throughout its brief history. Although Antonio Davis did a nice job he wasn't a true center. And I don't feel Bargs is one either... Here's a look at some of our greatest players at C(in no specific order):

Yogi Stewart
    Zan Tabak
    Mengke Bateer
    Garth Joseph
    Eric Montross
    Mamadou N'Diaye
    Greg Foster
    Jelani McCoy
    Rafael Araujo
    Loren Woods

I think the best of all-time was Hakeem Olajuwan. He helped us out a lot.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
      I'd have to argue with Camby in there at center on the second team. Did you forget about one Kevin Willis?

That is the one position I can think of that this team has struggled with throughout its brief history. Although Antonio Davis did a nice job he wasn't a true center. And I don't feel Bargs is one either... Here's a look at some of our greatest players at C(in no specific order):

Yogi Stewart
      Zan Tabak
      Mengke Bateer
      Garth Joseph
      Eric Montross
      Mamadou N'Diaye
      Greg Foster
      Jelani McCoy
      Rafael Araujo
      Loren Woods

I think the best of all-time was Hakeem Olajuwan. He helped us out a lot.
      Kev played more games for the Raptors but I am unsure if he had a greater defensive impact.

As for Davis. Well, the man did make the All-star game as the Raptors' starting center. That's more important to me then how tall the man is. He did a better job on defense and overall than any other player who started at the 5 for the Raptors. He just blended in and got the job done nightly.
      Last edited by Apollo; Tue Mar 9, 2010, 12:44 PM.

Comment

How could anyone leave Bargnani the shot blocker extraordinaire off of the list?
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

LOL, off my first and second teams or Mack's barf fest list of stiffs no longer in the league?

Comment

Tracy McGrady would be on All-Defensive first team. Likely instead of Alvin Williams with Doug Christie moving down to the point.

I very much liked McGrady's defense in his final season with the Raps.
            nbaroundtable

Comment

I can't disagree with any of that, except that I don't think JYD was all that amazing defensively, scrappy though he was. If Marion counts, I would put him in that slot. If not, then put Garbo in that slot.

VC may be a candidate for second team at least. Never a defensive stopper, but his athleticism certainly caused problems for even the best opposing wings.

I think that by process of elimination, we need to put Rafer in the second team as well. At least he was tenacious.

Comment

verbatim wrote: View Post
                VC may be a candidate for second team at least. Never a defensive stopper, but his athleticism certainly caused problems for even the best opposing wings.
                On defense? I don't remember Vince giving anyone problems on defense. He was as soft as they come, as in 2010 Raptors soft. It was a good thing he was virtually unstoppable when his head was in the game on offense.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  LOL, off my first and second teams or Mack's barf fest list of stiffs no longer in the league?
                  ratemypoo.com has a better list than that. that was one of the worst lists ive ever seen compiled.
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I really don't want to go to that URL but human curiosity is killing me here.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post

ratemypoo.com has a better list than that. that was one of the worst lists ive ever seen compiled.
                      Guys, come on, I thought it was a little obvious that was a list to show how garbage our history of centers has been(The Dream as our #1??). Apollo, I wasn't knocking AD at all, just saying he did play out of position. He stepped up tremendously and I loved him at center.

Willis was definitely one of our best defenders back in the day on a couple of the better Raptor teams. I don't recall Camby being so much of a presence as he is today back then.
                      Last edited by Mack North; Wed Mar 10, 2010, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Why do you feel it was "out of position"? He had all the tools of a prototypical center except height. Height never stopped Rodman or Barkley from playing PF and no one suggested they were playing out if position at PF. What do you call a center? If a guy is 7'0" 250lbs, does that make him a center? How many inches and pounds less before he isn't a center anymore? Or how many more before he is a center? These questions may sound silly but they're valid if we're going to deviate from the tried and true "what ever the coach says he is, is what he is".

Comment

I'd put Mo Pete ahead of AP. AP was vastly overrated as a defender and a clutch performer.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                            I'd put Mo Pete ahead of AP. AP was vastly overrated as a defender and a clutch performer.
                            I thought Parker deserved the nod for his first season with the Raptors. I thought his defense was excellent that year but fairly mediocre from then on (slightly above average in second season and average in final season).
                            nbaroundtable

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Why do you feel it was "out of position"? He had all the tools of a prototypical center except height. Height never stopped Rodman or Barkley from playing PF and no one suggested they were playing out if position at PF. What do you call a center? If a guy is 7'0" 250lbs, does that make him a center? How many inches and pounds less before he isn't a center anymore? Or how many more before he is a center? These questions may sound silly but they're valid if we're going to deviate from the tried and true "what ever the coach says he is, is what he is".
                              He played PF in Indiana because they had Rik Smits at C. I'm pretty sure he played PF everywhere he was except for here, mainly because of the lack of depth we had there. Although he did play the position and played it well, I just feel he would have been even better at PF because that was the position he had always played. It's kind of like if Sonny started handling the ball and playing PG, he'd be playing out of position. Not to say a guy can't succeed at the his position on the court, but they might be better suited at their "regular" position.

Comment

Working...
                              X