DeRozan to the Desert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeRozan to the Desert?

Although I am the one writing this trade, I’m not sure how I feel about it. I have enjoyed DeRozan’s progression as a basketball player, and am anticipating him being named an All-Star. That being said, I’m curious as to what his value is around the league. We have continued to read reports that despite a winning record, no player on the Raptors is safe if the right trade comes along. This is exemplified in the rumors that Lowry could be on the block.

One team I could see having some interest in DeRozan is Phoenix. They are weak on the wings, and are rumored to be interested in acquiring a young All-Star to add to their roster. So…here is my proposition:

Toronto Trades:
    DeMar DeRozan and Steve Novak

Phoenix Trades:Emeka Okafor, 2014 Washington First Round Pick (top 12 protected), 2014 Indiana First Round Pick, and 2015 LA Lakers First Round Pick (top 5 protected)

Why for Phoenix:
    Phoenix adds a young (24) SG/SF who fits in with the core of their team. The shore up an area of weakness (the wing) and continue their push for the playoffs. When Bledsoe is healthy, a backcourt of Bledsoe, Dragic, and DeRozan would be fun/exciting/talented.

Why for Toronto:
    With the expiring (and insured) contract of Okafor, the Raptors would open up an additional $13million in cap space this summer, as well as save them $26.25mil over the next two years ($13mil in 14/15, $13.25mil in 15/16).
    It is looking like Washington is going to be a playoff team (6-8 seeded), which would put this pick at around 15-17, while the Indiana pick would be last pick of the first round (if held today). But the real pick that I want to receive is the Lakers 2015 first round pick. I can’t see the Lakers being a bottom 5 team, but I also can’t see them improving much either. I’m expecting this pick to be 6-10 in 2015.
    In short, the Raptors use DeMar to get out of Novak’s contract, and a mid and late 2014 first round picks, and a very likely top 10 pick in 2015. Ujiri can then use his war-chest of draft picks to build a young team (asset collection), or combine picks with the teams cap-space (and unguaranteed contracts of Salmons/Hansbrough) to make a significant move.

Thoughts?
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

I don't think DeRozan nets you 3 first rounders.

Comment

An interesting idea. I would do it, sure. Cap space can be used to sign a capable replacement, like Lance Stephenson or Avery Bradley. All those picks in 2014 can be packaged for an asset or used. The 2015 Lakers pick is also very intriguing.

Would they do it? I don't know. I wouldn't do it in their place. Similar reasons as why I'd do it for the Raptors.. The Suns have cap space, they can target someone. Deng? Lance Stephenson? Sign a free agent. Use picks or package them for assets. Re-sign Bledsoe. Collect assets and then see if maybe Love or some other legit star becomes available. That path would make more sense to me and seems more likely to lead to a title.

In effect this trade means that they'd be paying DeMar 13 mil a year (his salary + Novak's) which isn't all that cheap, and they'd give up a bunch of picks for that privilege.

But who knows. It helps short term. Maybe they like DeMar a lot + decide that making playoffs this year is more important to them than long term cap space and those assets. I wouldn't really be surprised, given Sarver's history.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
        I don't think DeRozan nets you 3 first rounders.
        I understand this complaint, and to a certain extent I agree with you. Where I am held up is that a statement like this presumes that all first round picks are created equal. In a case like this proposed trade, one of them could very easily be counted as equal value to a second round pick (Indiana, pick number 30 at the moment). The other 2014 pick will also likely not be a lottery pick (Washington). If it is, it could be the 13th pick at best.

3 picks does seem a little excessive...but I don't think it is too over the top when you factor in where those picks will fall.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
          An interesting idea. I would do it, sure. Cap space can be used to sign a capable replacement, like Lance Stephenson or Avery Bradley. All those picks in 2014 can be packaged for an asset or used. The 2015 Lakers pick is also very intriguing.

Would they do it? I don't know. I wouldn't do it in their place. Similar reasons as why I'd do it for the Raptors.. The Suns have cap space, they can target someone. Deng? Lance Stephenson? Sign a free agent. Use picks or package them for assets. Re-sign Bledsoe. Collect assets and then see if maybe Love or some other legit star becomes available. That path would make more sense to me and seems more likely to lead to a title.

In effect this trade means that they'd be paying DeMar 13 mil a year (his salary + Novak's) which isn't all that cheap, and they'd give up a bunch of picks for that privilege.

But who knows. It helps short term. Maybe they like DeMar a lot + decide that making playoffs this year is more important to them than long term cap space and those assets. I wouldn't really be surprised, given Sarver's history.
          I completely understand and agree. Would I do it if I were Phoenix? I would consider, but most likely not bite the bullet. I would wait for Love (or someone like him) to be made available and then go all in! But from what I have read that doesn't seem to be the plan in Phoenix. They are far ahead of where they thought they would be (last place), and wanting a young all-star who would match the core. As weird as it sounds, DeRozan (most likely) fits that bill.

This trade would also work with Hansbrough in place of Novak. Removes some of the value for Toronto though, but improves the financial picture for Phoenix.

Comment

This seems more like a potential draft day trade to me. I just don't see TO moving Demar for picks by the deadline, due to our current success. It is a very intriguing off season trade though. But if PHX is looking for help now, and MU really wanted those picks he would have to consider it.

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
              Although I am the one writing this trade, I’m not sure how I feel about it. I have enjoyed DeRozan’s progression as a basketball player, and am anticipating him being named an All-Star. That being said, I’m curious as to what his value is around the league. We have continued to read reports that despite a winning record, no player on the Raptors is safe if the right trade comes along. This is exemplified in the rumors that Lowry could be on the block.

One team I could see having some interest in DeRozan is Phoenix. They are weak on the wings, and are rumored to be interested in acquiring a young All-Star to add to their roster. So…here is my proposition:

Toronto Trades:
              DeMar DeRozan and Steve Novak

Phoenix Trades:Emeka Okafor, 2014 Washington First Round Pick (top 12 protected), 2014 Indiana First Round Pick, and 2015 LA Lakers First Round Pick (top 5 protected)

Why for Phoenix:
              Phoenix adds a young (24) SG/SF who fits in with the core of their team. The shore up an area of weakness (the wing) and continue their push for the playoffs. When Bledsoe is healthy, a backcourt of Bledsoe, Dragic, and DeRozan would be fun/exciting/talented.

Why for Toronto:
              With the expiring (and insured) contract of Okafor, the Raptors would open up an additional $13million in cap space this summer, as well as save them $26.25mil over the next two years ($13mil in 14/15, $13.25mil in 15/16).
              It is looking like Washington is going to be a playoff team (6-8 seeded), which would put this pick at around 15-17, while the Indiana pick would be last pick of the first round (if held today). But the real pick that I want to receive is the Lakers 2015 first round pick. I can’t see the Lakers being a bottom 5 team, but I also can’t see them improving much either. I’m expecting this pick to be 6-10 in 2015.
              In short, the Raptors use DeMar to get out of Novak’s contract, and a mid and late 2014 first round picks, and a very likely top 10 pick in 2015. Ujiri can then use his war-chest of draft picks to build a young team (asset collection), or combine picks with the teams cap-space (and unguaranteed contracts of Salmons/Hansbrough) to make a significant move.

Thoughts?
              I'd be over this on draft day.

Raps have come this far they might as well finish the season.

Gotta play the hand you're dealt.

Comment

Working...
              X