Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the NBA rigged? Interesting stuff backing up how I already feel....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the NBA rigged? Interesting stuff backing up how I already feel....

http://www.ibtimes.com/nba-rigged-ru...-begin-1295675

Perhaps the most compelling recent evidence on the side of those who believe the NBA is fixed came to light when former NBA referee Tim Donaghy publicly stated that the league manipulates games through control over their officiating.

“I think there was a situation where certain referees, in my mind -- and it obviously proved successful -- could change the point spread in an NBA game based on relationships by four or five points,” he told Van Susteren. “And when you talk about adding four or five points onto any line that's at Vegas, it's like sitting at a blackjack table and knowing that your first card is an ace when the dealer starts to deal … Right, and I think the, you know, NBA fans are very knowledgeable. And over the last 10 or 15 years, they know that a lot of unusual things have taken place.”

He went on to explain that referees “deliberately” give fouls to less-popular players vs. big stars because “it’s the way you were trained” to be a referee.

“Referees are trained in the fact that, obviously, you don't want to be throwing the stars out of the game, or you don't want to be giving a star a foul that you can give to somebody else who's in that area,” he said, adding later, “Obviously you don't want to give a Kobe Bryant or Shaquille O'Neal or LeBron James a foul that may be his second or third foul in the first quarter, to where he's going to have to go to the bench. I mean, it was openly discussed in meetings that, you know, people paid big dollars to see these stars on the floor.”
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

We never actually see the ping pong balls....

Comment

The Hornets getting the Anthony Davis pick immediately after they'd been sold was a tipping point for me.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

What's easier to believe:

The league is rigged

OR

The officials just aren't that good

The NBA is capitalism at its finest (worst)

Comment

The point about giving fouls to 'lesser' players has to be true. You can see it almost every game. Star fouls a guy in the paint, but the Refs award the foul to the bench guy that just happened to be in the paint as well. I wouldn't say this is evidence of rigging, but it is BS.

Comment

Shrub wrote: View Post
            What's easier to believe:

The league is rigged

OR

The officials just aren't that good

The NBA is capitalism at its finest (worst)
            There's also a third option:

Basketball is an incredibly difficult sport to officiate.

I believe that all three are in play.
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I've had suspicions for years.. do you guys remember last season when Lebron had a record streak of 6 games without a foul? Stars get the calls, and don't get called for anything.

Comment

Working...
              X