Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Interesting ... "add Durant" ... recipe for success! Haha
    Hey, it's like Dianna sauce....goes good with anything.

Seriously, Durant with this core is the secret ingredient to many years of title contention (duh...I add to myself)

Masai knows this, and already is preparing for 2016...

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
      at least give the original writer a link or credit, instead of just copying and pasting what he wrote and making it look like you wrote it yourself. nowhere do i see in the realgm thread you asking to copy his post. and you literally just copy and pasted it without even changing the narrative as if you wrote it from your perspective.
      This ^^
      4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
      I got it from him and I asked him if it was okay to post on another site and hs said aright
      It's good that you got permission, but you are still pawning it off to us as if this is your own idea. Not a huge deal, but for the sake of credibility you should edit the OP and provide the link.

As to the content of the OP

We can now use Drake, Leiweke, Masai and Demar to help convince other young players around the league that Toronto is where they should want to play. Demar and Drake can do that more directly and easily during the season, especially if there's a player out there that wants out. Think whatever you want about whether Derozan deserves to be there but there is almost no negatives to this now that he will be there.

We will we be able to use the narrative that we have a young, unselfish, hard-working, nice guy all star in Toronto now to make the franchise seem a little more desirable to players looking to be traded from their current situations, or upcoming free agents? It can't hurt, right?
      I'm happy to concede the second bold that it can't hurt. Unfortunately the reality is that it is unrealistic (and setting yourself up for disappointment) to believe that it would be of any tangible help. Although the success of the Heat has lead to an idea that super star team ups is the new trend in the NBA, there isn't a ton of evidence to back it up. Even if you concede that you need talent to attract talent the demar case doesn't exactly do a whole lot. How many teams were chasing Dwight Howard? I count 4 serious suitors, Lakers, Rockets, Mavs, and Warriors. All had MVP level type players (unless you don't count Curry or Harden as MVP types). How many teams seriously tried to get Lebron? (Knicks, Bulls, Cavs, Miami, I think there were more but I think those were the only ones he was willing to have a sit down with). Best case scenario is you have enough talent to get into that conversation were you are in that serious contender group of 3-5 teams, but that still only leaves you with long odds.

There's nothing wrong with the strategy of acquiring cap space and talent, and going after a game changer, but statistically you are at least as likely to NOT sign the big name free agent as you are to sign the big name free agent. Cap space is good for a number of reasons and signing the big name free agent is only one of them. Yes we should take a run at Durant, but pretty much every team will be trying to do the same whenever he becomes a free agent. The bigger the hopes the bigger the disappointment...
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

It was reported that KD was already sitting down with management, earlier this season, discussing another extension already. No matter how much money we throw at him, they have the rights, and KD is the type of player that values loyalty. So if they make some moves and trade away, Russell, which there are some miniscule reports of him to NYK, then he might get pissed at management. But he likes the team surrounded by him I believe look at the run he has put together. So landing someone like him is a far off conclusion. We wont get him so I don't mean to crush dreams but he wont be coming. Someone like Love on the other hand might be able to be had. But for what price. We don't trade everything to get him that's for sure. And definitely not all future picks. That screws us and then we need to convince guys to come and play via free agency, with limited funds to dish out.

Comment

I think the future team will look alot like Den. No superstar and lots of good guys, potential all stars playing together. I just don't see MU capping us out for a 20 mil player when u can get 2 quality players to give us the same numbers at the desired position, and definitely at a cheaper price. Gesh were showing that can work somewhat right now. 20 ppg and10 of assists or rebounds, combined, from any position, is a good goal. I think with the right combination of guys we can get that and have some space to play with.

Comment

Agree with delman21 is saying, and I think that a lot of people are too hopeful that Durant will leave because they see a lot of parallels between the Durant + OKC and Lebron + Cavs. Although, both are small market teams, and both never won a title I think that OKC still has a lot to offer Durant that Cleveland didn't have to offer Lebron. Namely, young players with talent. Obviously the the loss of Harden hurt (and I think that was the reason that got a lot of people started down the line of that Durant could walk). But there's still Westbrooke, and Ibaka, both young and still getting better. Plus they've got even younger guys who are doing well with significant minutes in Jeremy Lamb and Reggie Jackson, both of whom should still get better, or provide decent return.

There's a huge difference between an OKC roster made up of young players still developing and the Lebron Cavs which didn't have any promising young talent.

I would love it as much as the next person if we got Durant, and I don't mind the Raptors making moves to facilitate that IF he is set to enter free agency--as long as that isn't our ONLY strategy. No matter how you slice it the odds of landing Durant are slim to none. It's okay to go for it anyway, but stay flexible Toronto!
            Last edited by ezz_bee; Mon Feb 3, 2014, 08:18 AM.
            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
              Agree with delman21 is saying, and I think that a lot of people are too hopeful that Durant will leave because they see a lot of parallels between the Durant + OKC and Lebron + Cavs. Although, both are small market teams, and both never won a title I think that OKC still has a lot to offer Durant that Cleveland didn't have to offer Lebron. Namely, young players with talent. Obviously the the loss of Harden hurt (and I think that was the reason that got a lot of people started down the line of that Durant could walk). But there's still Westbrooke, and Ibaka, both young and still getting better. Plus they've got even younger guys who are doing well with significant minutes in Jeremy Lamb and Reggie Jackson, both of whom should still get better, or provide decent return.

There's a huge difference between an OKC roster made up of young players still developing and the Lebron Cavs which didn't have any promising young talent.

I would love it as much as the next person if we got Durant, and I don't mind the Raptors making moves to facilitate that IF he is set to enter free agency--as long as that isn't our ONLY strategy. No matter how you slice it the odds of landing Durant are slim to none. It's okay to go for it anyway, but stay flexible Toronto!
              Where I see Durant getting frustrated is the inability of the Thunder management and unwillingness of ownership to pay to keep the young talent as they come off rookie deals and hit their prime.

The Thunder are never going to pay luxury tax because it is a double whammy: they have to pay $1.50 and up for every dollar over the luxury tax AND they miss out on revenue sharing.

With Durant, Ibaka, and Westbrook's salaries only continuing to rise, it is going to be harder and harder to round out the roster.

I'm not saying Durant is definitely leaving nor am I saying if he leaves he is coming to Toronto but what I am saying is there is a serious amount of reasonable doubt as to his future in OKC given how fierce of a competitor he is.

“Last year, I was obsessed with it,” Durant said of winning a title. “Like, I wasn't going to sleep because I wanted to win so bad. I was screaming at my teammates, at the refs, at the coaches. I got mad because I thought ‘if we have a bad game here, we're not going to win a championship.'”

That edge, Durant said, is part of the reason he was uncharacteristically whistled for 12 technical fouls last season — matching his combined total from his five previous seasons.

“So I'm not going to let that overtake my mind,” said Durant of his championship chase. “I mean, of course I want to win it, but I'm not obsessed with it. I'm going to put in the work to help my team, but I'm not going to be obsessed with it because that's when I compromise myself, and most of the time it doesn't work out.”

“Maybe it's not (a bad thing),” Durant said of the obsession. “But for me, it was just, like, I wasn't enjoying it no more. It was more like a job more than just going out there having fun playing the game. I never want to lose the love. Once you lose love of something and you make it into a job then …”

“Like, for me, when I was coming in I was like “If I miss a shot, I'm going to miss this shot in Game 6 of the Finals,'” he said. “‘If we don't play defense this game, we're not going to play defense in the Finals.' Like, I was thinking like that. And I was going home and I would get so mad over small stuff. That's not me. So I was losing myself over what people thought, what other people thought.”
              A lot of what Durant says echoes what LeBron James said after the 2011 season.
              http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...ning-last-year

Comment

delman21 wrote: View Post
                It was reported that KD was already sitting down with management, earlier this season, discussing another extension already. No matter how much money we throw at him, they have the rights, and KD is the type of player that values loyalty. So if they make some moves and trade away, Russell, which there are some miniscule reports of him to NYK, then he might get pissed at management. But he likes the team surrounded by him I believe look at the run he has put together. So landing someone like him is a far off conclusion. We wont get him so I don't mean to crush dreams but he wont be coming. Someone like Love on the other hand might be able to be had. But for what price. We don't trade everything to get him that's for sure. And definitely not all future picks. That screws us and then we need to convince guys to come and play via free agency, with limited funds to dish out.
                show me a link where KD was reported to be sitting down talking extension. i've never seen one?

Comment

KD makes a harmless comment about the Rap's being his favourite team growing up and people think there is a chance he may actually play here? Everyone loved VC in the Toronto days, and wanted to be like him. I don't think this means KD wants to play here. He is if nothing else a really loyal dude and he's already on a championship calibre team. He's not going anywere.

Comment

Personally, I don't see an all-star selection for Demar having an net impact on his or this franchise's ability to attract FA's. We need to keep winning and demonstrate a positive, team (family) oriented culture dedicated to growing and competing. Players won't come here because Demar is on the team, but they may come here if they come to understand why a guy like Demar would want to play here.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Where I see Durant getting frustrated is the inability of the Thunder management and unwillingness of ownership to pay to keep the young talent as they come off rookie deals and hit their prime.

The Thunder are never going to pay luxury tax because it is a double whammy: they have to pay $1.50 and up for every dollar over the luxury tax AND they miss out on revenue sharing.

With Durant, Ibaka, and Westbrook's salaries only continuing to rise, it is going to be harder and harder to round out the roster.

I'm not saying Durant is definitely leaving nor am I saying if he leaves he is coming to Toronto but what I am saying is there is a serious amount of reasonable doubt as to his future in OKC given how fierce of a competitor he is.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...ning-last-year
                      I agree with point about OKC not paying tax, which could lead to players leaving, which in turn could sour Durant. However, Westbrooke & Ibaka are signed until 2016-2017 which means two things. 1) The core of Durant+Westbrooke+Ibaka has three more playoffs before Durant has to make a decision. I think a core of those three has a good chance of winning a championship with rookie scale contracts and cheap vets. IF OKC wins a championship I don't see Durant bolting. Secondly, when Durant hits free agency Westbrooke & Ibaka are still under contract the following season, meaning that he's bolting on both of those guys.

The only way I see Durant leaving OKC is if they don't win a championship AND OKC trades either Westbrooke or Ibaka in a cost-cutting move the season before Durant hits free agency. Yes it's possible, but I think management probably knows that if they trade one of those two, there's a very real chance that Durant leaves.

I think it would be more likely for Durant to leave if Westbrooke or Ibaka hit free agency first. I'm sure OKC is less willing to give those guys big money in favour of Durant and could conceivable let them walk. In the current scenario they probably resign Durant and then let one/both of them go in the following off season. Since they got Durant locked up to a 4 or 5 year deal, they probably think they have time to re-tool to keep them in contention. I guess this is all speculation on my part, but I think OKC is the front runner in the Durant sweepstakes.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                        I guess this is all speculation on my part, but I think OKC is the front runner in the Durant sweepstakes.
                        I agree. I think as long as that team is contending Durant will stay. And it's hard to imagine them not contending with that core going forward. Westbrook's health could play a factor.

Comment

Working...
                        X