Triano is so smart.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triano is so smart.....

I’m really tired of how easily teams exploit Triano’s defensive help scheme. Giving guards a path to the basket to force help is one of the worst and idiotic plans I’ve ever seen. Watch how our guards try to force the dribble one way or the other before the offense of the opposition is even set, let alone our defense. Half our guys aren’t even aware of when to rotate (which is always according to Triano). This leads to one of our bigs rotating to help (or not, for uncontested layups), leaving their original assignment open for easy layups. This is not how you play defensive basketball. A team should be doing everything possible to stop the point of attack and ONLY rotate when penetration happens. I know this occurs a lot with Jose on the floor but if you actually pay attention, 70% of the time its planned to allow a blow by.

This recurring theme during 2nd halfs is appalling, and I can’t remember the last time the won a 3rd quarter. Granted, Udrih was hot, but half his jumpers were in the paint for the very same reason stated above. It’s pretty easy to exploit when a coach that actually realizes it, communicates it to their team at the break. Having players that are as gifted off the bounce as Evans only compounds an already dire scheme.

On a side note, I’m sick and tired of Leo’s retarded comments of “keep feeding the ball to Bargs, he’s hot and not getting involved in the offence”, then on the flip side, when Bargs actually does take a bunch of consecutive shots with limited success, he spews out “Bargs is forcing right now and needs to get his teammates involved” This is the broken record of Leo with a wide range of topics, and always stating the obivious as if he is the only one who see’s it. and please Matt Devlin, shut the fuck up and call the game, your humor is both fake and non-existent.

It would be interesting to see the Raps 3rd Q stats, Off reb, PiP given up, and such, but I’m to lazy to research it…..

Lucamacus wrote: View Post
    On a side note, I’m sick and tired of Leo’s retarded comments of “keep feeding the ball to Bargs, he’s hot and not getting involved in the offence”, then on the flip side, when Bargs actually does take a bunch of consecutive shots with limited success, he spews out “Bargs is forcing right now and needs to get his teammates involved” This is the broken record of Leo with a wide range of topics, and always stating the obivious as if he is the only one who see’s it. and please Matt Devlin, shut the fuck up and call the game, your humor is both fake and non-existent.
    Preach Brotha!!

Leo is really starting to piss me off. He seems too in love with the offensive guys when calling the game "I love Tyreke's game, he's like a veteran up there," Honestly? give me a frikkin break. Sometimes I wish they would all stfu and not comment at all. They should try out Sid and Tim i'm sure it'll be a lot better than what we currently have.

Comment

So apparently it's Triano's fault that some of the Raptor players are below average defensively, at least during some games? Triano's defense seemed to work pretty well against the Lakers, when it took them out of their offense and allowed the Raptors to go to the wire against them.

When guys turn their back on offensive players, it's not the fault of the coach. It's the fault of the player. There are only so many times you can tell a player when to rotate. Eventually, it's up to the player to actually do so.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Actually Devlin amused me at one point during the game. Leo was commenting on how Green celebrated too much after each basket he made (something that I didn't notice at all) and then Devlin came back with something along the lines of "It's probably because he didn't have much to celebrate in Syracuse"

I get the feeling that he isn't Leo's biggest fan along with us.

On another note, I streamed the Lakers game online and listened to their announcers, probably the most prepared guys I have ever listened to. And also the most I've ever enjoyed commentary
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Once you reach Max Level, you stop leveling

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

The Laker's commentators are a treat.

Comment

Thank you for pointing that out Lucamacus, and to Tim, I think it's pretty clear the effect a coach can have on defense in this league. Remember when we had Kevin O'Neill? A career coach by the way,maybe he wasn't NBA head coach material, but the Raps held opponents to 88/game that year, 6th in the league. Next year Sam Mitchell balooned that to 101 with his "motivational coaching style". The least we could do is find someone known for their freakin defensive mind and make him a well-paid assistant coach.

Also, Jose may be coached to do that in Triano's defense, but nobody's telling him to just get completely lost in the play afterwards, looking around like he's never played before. If Jose picks you up at half-court you are getting an easy look.
            Last edited by DoubleR_T; Thu Mar 11, 2010, 07:17 PM.

Comment

you know what i'm tired of. i'm tired of you blaming everything on triano, god when we win you shutup and dont give triano credit, when we lose triano this triano that. i'm tired of this...blah blah blah

why dont you go freakin coach and see if you can do any better? triano's doing his best to get this teams defense as good as possible. but, it's got to happen on the court and they arent following through on it properly. they honestly play shit in the third quarter,

it's finally caught up to us. everyone has a bad quarter and unfornunately for us its one of the second half ones. turkoglu has been a bust. i honestly have given this guy the benefit of the doubt for this whole season and i'm still willing to. but, as faras i'm concerned for him to make the second most on the team and have limited production is a joke.

we only play well enough during the first half and 5 min left in the 4th quarter. that 19 minutes of game time we play like shit. that has to be significantly trimmed down or at least we need to down our level of just hpw shit we are during those 19 min.

the injuries are what snagged us, there was a flaw to the rotation and it wasnt exposed until we lost bosh. now i'm pretty sure we'll make th playoffs prolly as the 6th or 7th seed.

you know the more i think about this though theres always the possibility we are just tanking so we dont have to play a team we don't match up well with in the po's. if that were the case i think we just tanked ourselves into a slump and its takin a little longer to get out.

never the less this is simply dispicable, the way we blow leads and have played lately.
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Hostile wrote: View Post
                Preach Brotha!!

Leo is really starting to piss me off. He seems too in love with the offensive guys when calling the game "I love Tyreke's game, he's like a veteran up there," Honestly? give me a frikkin break. Sometimes I wish they would all stfu and not comment at all. They should try out Sid and Tim i'm sure it'll be a lot better than what we currently have.
                true that. honestly i think a couple of hockey broadcasters would be better.

they need to replace devlin with jack armstrong permanently. leo needs to stop acting like a dick tard know it all. yes, i just said dick tard. w/e that means.

"bosh leads the league in timmie's" honestly, i wanted to climb into the t.v. and punt devlin in his giant melon when he made that comment. you ... words cant describe how annoying you are sometimes.
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF, you obviously didn't interpret my post right. I'm not blaming Triano for everything, I'm critisizing his defensive schemes.

The problem with his philospy is it breeds laziness and complacency. If a coach is preaching for me to force my man baseline and not worry about staying in front of him, relying on bigs to rotate in and cut off penetration, you tend to lose a sense of personal pride that comes with "manning up" on defence.

I hate to refer to the hated C**tics, but watch how each player takes pride in his ability to stay in front of his man, and IF help is needed off of dribble penetration, you rotate accordingly.
                  Help defense is still essential in any defensive scheme, but when you rely on it to be your focal point, its destined to fail, as is evident by the raps defensive rating this year.

Jay Triano isn't a horrible coach, but his inability to recognize when change is needed is his biggest flaw, and this can be applied to his rotations, the JJ Calderon backcourt, when a timeout is needed.........the list goes on. However, at this point in the season it is to late to be changing up defensive scheme's.

Tim W, if you look at the lakers game, you can see how the lakers had a selfish attitude pretty much the whole game, their assist numbers were very low for a team with so much talent, and if you don't move the ball help defense works great! PJ is baffled as to why his team has become so individual over the last month or so, and has stated in post-games that they need to share the ball more.

Comment

Working...
                  X