ESPN Insider: Raptors Defense Still a Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Insider: Raptors Defense Still a Disaster

There's a pretty length article on ESPN Insider by John Hollinger which talks about the Raptors defense. Here's an excerpt:

Toronto's defensive struggles emanate from more simple considerations: The Raptors don't have good defensive players, and the coaching staff isn't getting much out of the players it has.

Consider Turkoglu, a lightning rod for Raptors fans this season because of his indifference. He's not a good defender, but he was still part of the league's top-ranked defense in Orlando last season. That's partly because Dwight Howard had his back, but it's also because Stan Van Gundy put in a scheme that works and held his players accountable when they didn't follow it.

In Toronto, there's no evidence that happens. Head coach Jay Triano was called out by his own players after a particularly egregious early-season effort in Atlanta and briefly seemed to get things under control. But his charges have regressed to old bad habits of late, and there's no indication that he's willing or able to squeeze anything better out of them.

The league's only Canadian coach, Triano has been a protected species in Hogtown since his hiring as an assistant in 2002. (Quick: Name me one other assistant who has survived three head-coaching changes with the same team.) He probably also seems delightfully reasonable after a series of, shall we say, entertaining head coaches from north of the border. No, Butch Carter he ain't. But maybe he should be, because his current method isn't getting it done.

Lots of questions jump out when watching Triano operate. Can he create defensive schemes? Can he get his players to execute them? Can he hold them accountable when they don't? Does he know Rasho Nesterovic is on the team? I'm not in the Raptors' huddle, but from afar those answers appear to be: not likely, no, no and no.

All those 12-step programs say admitting the problem is the first step, but I'm not sure the Raptors have reached that point yet. After the Sacramento debacle, Triano talked at length about his team's poor shot selection. That's known around these parts as ignoring the elephant in the room. Orlando takes bad shots too, but the Magic still try when the other team has the ball.

Usually John Hollinger is full of it, but hes on the mark with this one.

Comment

Damn. I wish Butch was here... If only he could have been more diplomatic about things.

Comment

The line about him surviving three head coaches rings very true and heavy.

Comment

I don't know about in the past, but today Rasho couldn't guard a tub of hops in a closed brewery.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

The simple truth of the matter straight up is:

There are too many players from Europe on the Raptors to play good defense.

European style basketball does not create quick athletic and physically tough players which is what you need to play good defense in the NBA.

Even if Bargnani was told by Triano to go out play like Perkins on defense he just couldn't do it.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

common now, we all played peewee basketball and we all know defense is not inborn, its taught. when we were 10-12 year olds, we didnt win games with high scoring efforts, we outrebounded the other team, got more steals and got the other team to get more turnovers than we did. our shots barely reached the rim but we still managed to win games. same with the raptors. the opposing PG maybe quick and run circles at our PG, but the second line should be doing its job as well. triano is waaaaaaaaay to soft on his players. well actually, he's just soft, period. the calls that the refs made during the lakers-raps game, man, if sam was coaching, he wouldve been ejected in the 3rd Q. but triano doesnt do that, and because of that, he doesnt command respect from the refs and even his own players. hollinger was right, the raps defense was atrocious and yet triano was blaming the loss on a poor shooting night. triano is a very tactical, analytical coach, but you need a jeff van gundy or a byron scott type coach who is not afraid to call you out if you messed up and even tell the media about it. look at phil jackson, he knawed pau gasol in the media for not putting too much effort on his game. thats the lakers 2nd best player!!!!! and phil had the balls to call him out. triano wont even scream at bargs, let alone tell him how he always messes up on his defensive assignment, same with jose. wont even sit down bosh when he's hoisting bricks against the kings (6 out of 20????, common). get a maniac coach, trade bosh for lee and chandler, and we are all set.

Comment

Interestingly, Hollinger does not bring up Colangelo in the piece. He hired JT in a very pivotal year for the franchise.

Confession: I supported the hiring before the season...I did not realize he was as passive/non-assertive as he has turned out...afterall he has seen how the successful coaches operate (I cant come up with a JT demeanored clone who was successful). Even Rautins "took out" Dalembert !!!!

Comment

Hollinger is a windbag posing as a calculator. Lets see how it stands in May, then we can pass judgment.

Comment

Even if Bargnani was told by Triano to go out play like Perkins on defense he just couldn't do it.
                    Then what good is he?

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
                      Then what good is he?
                      He's not we have the softest front court in the league at least Pau has Bynum in LA and Dirk has Haywood. Bosh has Bargs ? not good sorry.
                      "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
                        Then what good is he?
                        Are you referring to Triano? You can't get get blood out of a turnip. Did Triano pick the turnips or is he just stuck trying to prepare the meal with them?

Are you referring to Bargnani? He can score which is fun to watch and you do have to score some to win games. However his defense is about as affective as his ancestors was in WWII.

There is an old military joke that goes.

When it comes to defense only the French backpedal faster than the Italians and that is only because the Italians have to backpedal through hills.
                        Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Mar 13, 2010, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Pretty harsh.

The truth hurts.

Comment

Working...
                          X