Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Ross and Derozan co-exist? Can Ross be our primary SF?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can Ross and Derozan co-exist? Can Ross be our primary SF?

I hear a lot of:

trade Derozan for a lottery pick.
    ross and derozan can't co-exist.
    move derozan to the bench

The question is:

can derozan and ross both be in the starting lineup on a contender?
    will trading one make the other better?
    is derozan stunting ross's growth?
    do we NEED a meatier SF or can Ross be a fulltime SF?

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the two can coexist, but i WOULD like a bigger 3. I think we need one of those long, freak athletes like Kawhi.

Ross is tall for the SG spot and is hyper-athletic, but people often call him long. Is it just me or does he look like he has short arms?

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    I think the two can coexist, but i WOULD like a bigger 3. I think we need one of those long, freak athletes like Kawhi.

Ross is tall for the SG spot and is hyper-athletic, but people often call him long. Is it just me or does he look like he has short arms?
    He has average wing-span, meaning his arms are proportional to his body (6'7 wingspan) but in the NBA, proportional isn't the best so he looks smaller in comparison.

They can definitely co-exist. As multiple people stated in the Terrence Ross Comparisons thread (http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...parisons/page2)

Ross can stretch the floor and defend well. These types of players can co-exist with anyone.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they can co-exist. ross and derozan don't strike me as selfish players who must dominate the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Ross is the kind of player you could plug into any lineup. Shoots well, defends well, doesn't try to do too much. Him and DD can certainly co-exist.
    @jerboat

6. Like Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they can co-exist. And I feel they should. They work well together. If anything Demar should help Ross' development. They are a tandem that can tale the Raps far.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They are co existing as we speak. They both start for god sake

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they can co-exist, but does that hold the team back from being better than they are now? The road to the finals will always run through a LeBron, or George team (as long as they are around), and can Ross guard either through a 7 game playoff series?

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Certainly. On the offensive end, Ross works outside and DeMar works inside.

I would like to see Ross put on a bit of weight if he is to be considered our long-time SF, since the wingspan isn't really there.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Yes, they can co-exist, but does that hold the team back from being better than they are now? The road to the finals will always run through a LeBron, or George team (as long as they are around), and can Ross guard either through a 7 game playoff series?
    Can anyone?

12. Like ReubenJRD, ebrian, Jclaw liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Nobody can guard James, not even Durant can. George has become elite that it would be hard to guard him as well (although Ross did extremely well in that one regular season game).

So getting a guy just to help guard the best player in the league is not going to happen.

The problem I have with a Ross/DD lineup is will Ross ever get enough shots if DD is on the floor. DD takes on average 18 shots a game. If we ever upgraded our PF (which might be needed to get this team into contention status) then there will be even loss shots for Ross to go around.

It's not a decision that has to be made now but eventually Ross is going to get paid.. and when that happens it will be harder to field this starting line up (especially when JV is going to get paid too). And at that time a decision will have to be made as to which one should be kept and which one should be moved. And hopefully in the meantime DD's usage does not impact Ross' growth.

I like that DD is far more engaging and less of a black hole, so I think the two can co-exist at least for this year and next year.

But this is a good problem to have. It would be far worse if Ross ended up being a bust and DD continued to play like he did last year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

They're co-existing quite well already, and there's no reason to think that it won't get better as they develop together.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Nobody can guard James, not even Durant can. George has become elite that it would be hard to guard him as well (although Ross did extremely well in that one regular season game).

So getting a guy just to help guard the best player in the league is not going to happen.

The problem I have with a Ross/DD lineup is will Ross ever get enough shots if DD is on the floor. DD takes on average 18 shots a game. If we ever upgraded our PF (which might be needed to get this team into contention status) then there will be even loss shots for Ross to go around.

It's not a decision that has to be made now but eventually Ross is going to get paid.. and when that happens it will be harder to field this starting line up (especially when JV is going to get paid too). And at that time a decision will have to be made as to which one should be kept and which one should be moved. And hopefully in the meantime DD's usage does not impact Ross' growth.

I like that DD is far more engaging and less of a black hole, so I think the two can co-exist at least for this year and next year.

But this is a good problem to have. It would be far worse if Ross ended up being a bust and DD continued to play like he did last year.
    Bold: I'm not sure this would be the case. If we did bring in a low post player capable of drawing a double, then I think ultimately Ross may get more shots, due to the kick out and subsequent ball movement around the arc. In these situations, I envision Ross in the weakside corner, with either Lowry or DD dumping the ball inside. Double comes, ball gets passed out and one or two passes later and it's in Ross's hands. Of course, depends on where the double comes and whether defences will just let DD or Lowry take the shot, because they would likely be the first guys to get the ball from the post, and rather than switch off Ross they may just let the one of the guards shoot. But that is an example.

Your concern is a good one though. Think of this team with a low post scorer in Amir's position, and an improved JV and Ross. Would it work possibly having 5 guys on the floor that can get you 15-20+ on any given night? Well, maybe JV isn't there yet, but we all hope he does. I love the idea of such a balanced attack, and think it could work in Casey's system with the right cast of players. A top tier superstar type player may not be the best fit, at least one that requires and demands the ball a lot. In that case, the other guys on the floor just may not be getting the ball enough to be effective, and you could probably do just as well or better with lesser role players. So, finding that balance with the current core would be necessary if the team were to add a great player and continue to get better while still providing our younger players with opportunities to improve. All that being said, I think Ross and DD are compatible but adding a ball dominant big could change that dynamic.

Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They're doing well, and Ross will get shots when he can handle them. Demar's not selfish and is a good willing passer, he will do whatever makes us win.

I also see Ross more as a sixth man type of guy, or is that just me?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    They're doing well, and Ross will get shots when he can handle them. Demar's not selfish and is a good willing passer, he will do whatever makes us win.

I also see Ross more as a sixth man type of guy, or is that just me?

Ross excels at catch and shoot much more than creating off the dribble. He needs a good PG to get him the ball. Not sure 6th man is typically the best spot for him. Of everyone on our roster, Lowry is actually the best suited for the 6th man role (ball dominant scorer who can defend).

18. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Ross excels at catch and shoot much more than creating off the dribble. He needs a good PG to get him the ball. Not sure 6th man is typically the best spot for him. Of everyone on our roster, Lowry is actually the best suited for the 6th man role (ball dominant scorer who can defend).
    Catch and shoot, aka Ray Allen who flourished coming off the bench?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    Catch and shoot, aka Ray Allen who flourished coming off the bench?

haha Ray Allen came off the bench for 8 games total in his first 16 seasons. Read that again, cause that stat is crazy. He has come off the bench only in Miami, where as a 37-38 year old, he can play behind a younger star (D-Wade) and with LeBron for stretches.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

People needs to understand. This is not a Gay/DeRozan situation. DeRozan and Ross are two COMPLETELY different players.

DeRozan is a mid range guy, slasher, good low post player, can create his own shot off the dribble. Ross is a 3pt shooter(a great 3pt shooter), slasher, and he's a great fastbreak finisher.

So there's no reason to think they can't co exist. They're co-existing quite well already.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    People needs to understand. This is not a Gay/DeRozan situation. DeRozan and Ross are two COMPLETELY different players.

DeRozan is a mid range guy, slasher, good low post player, can create his own shot off the dribble. Ross is a 3pt shooter(a great 3pt shooter), slasher, and he's a great fastbreak finisher.

So there's no reason to think they can't co exist. They're co-existing quite well already.
    They're completely different players who play the same position though.

Ideally I wouldn't be starting both players in the same lineup. So far its been working, but I see it a lot like the PG situation in Phoenix.

The 2 SGs are workable, but ideally you trade one of them for a legit SF or something else of value.

23. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    haha Ray Allen came off the bench for 8 games total in his first 16 seasons. Read that again, cause that stat is crazy. He has come off the bench only in Miami, where as a 37-38 year old, he can play behind a younger star (D-Wade) and with LeBron for stretches.
    Oh .. thought he was sixth man.

But I still don't see why having him come off the bench, knocking down some threes and giving the bench a spark could be good, while having a defensive starting 3

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information