Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Ross and Derozan co-exist? Can Ross be our primary SF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ross defends Paul George pretty well, but as long as a deep playoff run is going to run into LeBron James or Kevin Durant, you'd really likely to have a defensively-capable SF with some size.

Other than that, DD/Ross have been a perfectly fine wing combo on most nights. SF size isn't an issue against most teams.
    Last edited by S.R.; Mon Feb 3, 2014, 04:49 PM.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      I agree there isn't a rush to do anything and the tandem of DD and Ross is co-existing as I mentioned already. I'm just of the opinion that sticking with both of them in the starting line up for the long haul will hold the team back from being better than they can be if they were to bring in guys that are build for their position. Rome wasn't built in a day and I don't expect the Raptors to be a contender next season. Only thing I didn't agree with is the bolded. DeMar cannot creat imo.
      I think he can create but certainly not in the way that the top ISO type players can. He will require a screen more often than not, but most players do. But, he can draw a double and is a willing passer, so that's creating enough for me. I actually like the dynamic we have offensively and would prefer it to having a guy that dominates in ISO.

Comment

I agree there isn't a rush to do anything and the tandem of DD and Ross is co-existing as I mentioned already. I'm just of the opinion that sticking with both of them in the starting line up for the long haul will hold the team back from being better than they can be if they were to bring in guys that are build for their position. Rome wasn't built in a day and I don't expect the Raptors to be a contender next season. Only thing I didn't agree with is the bolded. DeMar cannot creat imo.
        The only player in 10 years, in the entire NBA, to get 30 pts and 10 assists in a half, while most of his team are playing in quicksand, but he can't create. Interesting opinion, but his play in that game, as well as many others, says different.

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        DeRozan & Ross are definitely co-existing better than the failed Gay & DeRozan experiment, no doubt.

I think the pairing is fine for this season, where making the playoffs would be a success and a 2nd round appearance would arguably be this team's ceiling.

However, for the long-term, if Ross proves capable of continuing to improve every facet of his game as the team's starting SG, I'd prefer to cash-in DeRozan and get a legit starting SF (and a traditional starting PF, but this discussion is solely about the wings).

This isn't anything negative about DeRozan, but more an observation about better balancing/maximizing the starting lineup and improving the team overall, within the confines of the NBA's CBA. If MU can upgrade the starting PF/SF positions, secure the starting PG (whether that is re-signing Lowry or some other way) position and round out the 2nd unit while keeping DeRozan (and Johnson), I'd be all for it.

The bottom line is that I prefer Ross over DeRozan as the team's long-term starting SG, and would prefer a true SF starting at the 3.
        Not to be facetious, but what is a "true SF"? There are only a few starting caliber wing combos around the entire league that are taller than DeMar/Ross, who are doing quite well switching positions depending on match-ups, and they've only just begun working together.

Marrion for one gave LBJ lots of issues in the finals when Miami played Dallas, and George has had success against him too but that is besides the point. It's only one reason for why I think the team might be better if DD and Ross didn't play together. I'm not saying that DD and Ross can't play together and do well, but I think that the team could be better if they weren't together. As to who or how we get a star wing ... that I leave up to the management, as it has nothing to do with the opinion I'm providing.
        It's my opinion I'd be happier if I had an extra million dollars. How I get it has nothing to do with my opinion, which I just know to be true. Okay, I am being a tad facetious.

-------------------------
        Hey guys, when you lay new sod, it's always easy to find greener grass on the other side, but if you nurture that new sod well, great results can be achieved. Yes, it would be great to have someone that can lock down LBJ & KD, but that's just dreaming. In today's NBA, defense is a team game, particularly when talking about PGs and wings. If JV becomes the defensive anchor he's capable of, and Ross becomes more consistent (shit, they're still kids getting their feet wet in the NBA), then there's no telling how good this core could be in the next couple of years. They're doing damn well right now, and still very young. I'd like to see how they develop, rather than pine for something that's not available. Just my opinions.

Comment

salmon wrote: View Post
          Hey guys, when you lay new sod, it's always easy to find greener grass on the other side, but if you nurture that new sod well, great results can be achieved. Yes, it would be great to have someone that can lock down LBJ & KD, but that's just dreaming. In today's NBA, defense is a team game, particularly when talking about PGs and wings. If JV becomes the defensive anchor he's capable of, and Ross becomes more consistent (shit, they're still kids getting their feet wet in the NBA), then there's no telling how good this core could be in the next couple of years. They're doing damn well right now, and still very young. I'd like to see how they develop, rather than pine for something that's not available. Just my opinions.
          I agree. Find a defensive SF role player with some size if you can, but don't rearrange the entire starting unit just because you may need to matchup against 1 or 2 key guys in the playoffs. OKC made this mistake acquiring Perkins to match up with LA - that never really turned out to matter, and now OKC has a roster partially built to compete with a team that's not even a competitor anymore. Meanwhile, Perkins is useless against Miami....

I really like how Indiana is bucking the small ball trend by just building the best team available. Build the best roster you can with the talent you have access to, and force teams to match up with you. You'll always be one step behind if you're trying to match up with opposing rosters - something it makes sense to do with short-term role players, but not with your core.

Comment

I say they can co-exist and also its not like Ross and derozan a small SG! Their both 6'7 but Ross is just around 200lbs and DD around 220lbs also DD has a 6"10 wingspan I believe (maybe)
            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

what about shot-attempts? is there enough for lowry, JV, Derozan, our future low post scorer and Ross?
              can ross guard guys like harrison barnes, durant, lebron, carmelo, gay?
              at least rudy gay was not that bad on defense. physically, he could handle bigger, power 3s like melo.

you guys are listing ray allen as a comparison to t-ross, but ross is playing SF full time, even though his game is shaped like a true SG.

can two scoring SGs be their best in the same starting lineup?

Comment

2kfeen wrote: View Post
                what about shot-attempts? is there enough for lowry, JV, Derozan, our future low post scorer and Ross?
                can ross guard guys like harrison barnes, durant, lebron, carmelo, gay?
                at least rudy gay was not that bad on defense. physically, he could handle bigger, power 3s like melo.

you guys are listing ray allen as a comparison to t-ross, but ross is playing SF full time, even though his game is shaped like a true SG.

can two scoring SGs be their best in the same starting lineup?
                If they have enough complimentary strengths, then yes.

Just take a look at Miami. Plenty of shot attempts to go around, so long as James/Wade/Bosh have complimentary ways to contribute beyond hoisting shots. Aside from scoring, I think Ross and DD are actually very different players. Even considering scoring, they score in different ways and from different places on the floor.

DD doesn't need to score 20-25 ppg. His game is developing in other areas, and if he reigned in 2-4 long two attempts per game (in favour of Ross/Lowry/JV shots) I'd be happy with him averaging 18 ppg and the team seeing a more equitable shot distribution.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                  I agree. Find a defensive SF role player with some size if you can, but don't rearrange the entire starting unit just because you may need to matchup against 1 or 2 key guys in the playoffs. OKC made this mistake acquiring Perkins to match up with LA - that never really turned out to matter, and now OKC has a roster partially built to compete with a team that's not even a competitor anymore. Meanwhile, Perkins is useless against Miami....

I really like how Indiana is bucking the small ball trend by just building the best team available. Build the best roster you can with the talent you have access to, and force teams to match up with you. You'll always be one step behind if you're trying to match up with opposing rosters - something it makes sense to do with short-term role players, but not with your core.
                  Al-Farouq Aminu

I've said that a number of times. My apologies to anyone who has read this multiple times now.

Comment

salmon wrote: View Post
                    The only player in 10 years, in the entire NBA, to get 30 pts and 10 assists in a half, while most of his team are playing in quicksand, but he can't create. Interesting opinion, but his play in that game, as well as many others, says different.

Not to be facetious, but what is a "true SF"? There are only a few starting caliber wing combos around the entire league that are taller than DeMar/Ross, who are doing quite well switching positions depending on match-ups, and they've only just begun working together.

It's my opinion I'd be happier if I had an extra million dollars. How I get it has nothing to do with my opinion, which I just know to be true. Okay, I am being a tad facetious.

-------------------------
                    Its about time people started to think more patiently. All i can say is amen to this. Well said.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Al-Farouq Aminu

I've said that a number of times. My apologies to anyone who has read this multiple times now.
                      I'd be ok with Al, as long as there's the understanding he'll be a role player likely off the bench. He's got good size and D, and a fairly good ball IQ. We'd still need a good offensive backup PG and/or 4th wing to round out that part of the roster. Aminu can't shoot very well and doesn't have a lot of offensive skills.

Comment

Simply "YES"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          Simply "YES"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          They definitely can. We do still need a taller/bigger defensive wing in the rotation behind them. Can just be a role player.

-Aminu
                          -Matt Barnes
                          -Mbah a Moute
                          -Dorrell Wright
                          -DeMarre Carroll

Now I think Aminu is the only upcoming FA there, but I'm sure there could also be other options. There are enough such guys around the league to find something....these are just random guys that came to my mind.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                            I think the two can coexist, but i WOULD like a bigger 3. I think we need one of those long, freak athletes like Kawhi.

Ross is tall for the SG spot and is hyper-athletic, but people often call him long. Is it just me or does he look like he has short arms?
                            Even if his arms are short (I doubt it), they are all over -Lots of deflections.
                            His D & confidence is much much higher since Gay trade.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              I'd be ok with Al, as long as there's the understanding he'll be a role player likely off the bench. He's got good size and D, and a fairly good ball IQ. We'd still need a good offensive backup PG and/or 4th wing to round out that part of the roster. Aminu can't shoot very well and doesn't have a lot of offensive skills.
                              Don't we already have a guy like that? His name is L Fields.

Comment

This thread is just not right because they are co-existing just fine. If we renamed it to "which of our wings should be kept if we want to be an elite team", then I think the answer to that would be Ross for the way he has been developing this season. In today's NBA landscape there are less smooth shooting and athletic wings (ie: basic fundamentals of a 2-guard) like Ross than volume scorers like DeRozan. This is no knock against DeRozan and I know he does a lot more than just score, just an observation of how the NBA and what types of players are and will be available. These basic fundamentals are not always the focus anymore for young players entering the league.

But this also has a lot to do with the way Ross is currently playing. The reason he has shined does have a lot to do with the fact that he's playing alongside a player like DeRozan. If we rushed and went ahead and replaced DeMar now, then Ross may not continue to develop in the fundamental areas. Sorry to keep repeating that word, but that's what it really comes down to. Ross' current career trajectory is the prototypical 2-guard in my opinion..
                                Last edited by ebrian; Tue Feb 4, 2014, 07:19 AM.
                                your pal,
                                ebrian

Comment

Working...
                                X