Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How good are we? six 30 point scorers in the last 7 games good

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    How good are we? 4 games over .500 while playing in the worst division (8-2 record against the Atlantic). 3rd in a conference where pre-season play-off favs like Chicago (Rose), Atlanta (Horford), Nets (Lopez+) and Knicks (Chandler) all have had significant injuries.

I expected us to be around .500 and even predicted a 20-21 record by Jan 22 (http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...out&highlight=). With how the Nets, Knicks have turned out, our division is weaker than expected (although the Nets have turned things around); shouldn't we be better than .500?
    We are .666 since the Gay trade, .333 before, so, really, this isn't a .500 team at all. And we achieved that through a hard schedule. Realistically, given strength of schedule, we should be able to complete the remaining games at .666 and that would be very impressive. We'll see how we finish, but I'm expecting this team to finish with 45+ wins. 50 would be amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    How good are we? 4 games over .500 while playing in the worst division (8-2 record against the Atlantic). 3rd in a conference where pre-season play-off favs like Chicago (Rose), Atlanta (Horford), Nets (Lopez+) and Knicks (Chandler) all have had significant injuries.

I expected us to be around .500 and even predicted a 20-21 record by Jan 22 (http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...out&highlight=). With how the Nets, Knicks have turned out, our division is weaker than expected (although the Nets have turned things around); shouldn't we be better than .500?
    Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    We are .666 since the Gay trade, .333 before, so, really, this isn't a .500 team at all. And we achieved that through a hard schedule. Realistically, given strength of schedule, we should be able to complete the remaining games at .666 and that would be very impressive. We'll see how we finish, but I'm expecting this team to finish with 45+ wins. 50 would be amazing!
    Valid points on both sides, I think.

The Raps success has been impressive (check). Their winning % since the trade is on par with the Clippers (for the year - 34-17). They've won tough games and played very well against the top teams.

All that said, the success is very recent and in many ways untested. You need some playoff experience. We'll all look completely differently at this season if:
    a) The Raps fold in the first round like Bosh vs. the Nets and crap out of the playoffs.
    b) The Raps make the 2nd round and play a great 6+ game series against the Pacers (conceivable) or the Heat (much less likely).

Either scenario could easily happen. This team has impressed me and I think this roster is underrated, but I also recognize we're not nearly as stable as a roster built on LBJ/Durant/Chris Paul, etc.

Lowry's future and the playoffs are like a two part fulcrum for this entire season, for me. That'll determine where Ujiri's at in his team building quest. They may still be years away, or they may be an awful lot closer than any of us expected at the start of the season.

3. Like JawsGT, stooley liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    Valid points on both sides, I think.

The Raps success has been impressive (check). Their winning % since the trade is on par with the Clippers (for the year - 34-17). They've won tough games and played very well against the top teams.

All that said, the success is very recent and in many ways untested. You need some playoff experience. We'll all look completely differently at this season if:
    a) The Raps fold in the first round like Bosh vs. the Nets and crap out of the playoffs.
    b) The Raps make the 2nd round and play a great 6+ game series against the Pacers (conceivable) or the Heat (much less likely).

Either scenario could easily happen. This team has impressed me and I think this roster is underrated, but I also recognize we're not nearly as stable as a roster built on LBJ/Durant/Chris Paul, etc.

Lowry's future and the playoffs are like a two part fulcrum for this entire season, for me. That'll determine where Ujiri's at in his team building quest. They may still be years away, or they may be an awful lot closer than any of us expected at the start of the season.
    The bolded was worded very well, I think. I'm not sure if you meant it this way, but I like the use of the word stable.

I think having a superstar offers both stability in team building, as well as stability from night to night in the form of a consistent producer.

I think the superstar really makes team-building a lot easier, since lesser role players can be subbed in and out who can fulfill similar roles.

I think that a team like the mid-decade pistons are built on a much shakier foundation than ones centered around a single superstar. So many elements have to line up perfectly both as an on court product, and under CBA rules. There are more pieces with significant roles to manage.

But I do think it's possible for a team like ours to have success, and may be easier than trying to land a superstar in the first place.
    Last edited by stooley; Wed Feb 5th, 2014 at 05:37 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information