Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: unpopular opinion thread.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default unpopular opinion thread.

The raptors are stuck in mediocrity. Not good enough to get past the 1st or 2nd round. Not terrible enough to draft someone who can take us to the next level needed to win a championship. Having to throw money at free agents like kyle lowry next year, there isn't money left to bring a star. All this homerism from our media and raptors republic feels like giving the retarded kid at school a pat on the head for not screwing up. We didn't sit here twiddling our thumbs since '06 to end up in the same fucking place in 7 years. rinse and repeat. It is further cementing us as the atlanta hawks of this generation and makes me want to throw the fuck up. Masai is the flavor of the month until the fanbase realizes how tough a position he has put himself in.

go.

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    throw the fuck up.
    Don't do that!

I guess my unpopular opinion would be the opposite of yours. Or that I'm willing to gamble on KL.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry makes me very nervous and I think it'd be a blessing in disguise if he lands a big money deal elsewhere.

4. Like ceez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, this summarizes this thread:

“The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Well, this summarizes this thread:

This summarizes every single one of my posts on RR

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The raptors are stuck in mediocrity. Not good enough to get past the 1st or 2nd round. Not terrible enough to draft someone who can take us to the next level needed to win a championship. Having to throw money at free agents like kyle lowry next year, there isn't money left to bring a star. All this homerism from our media and raptors republic feels like giving the retarded kid at school a pat on the head for not screwing up. We didn't sit here twiddling our thumbs since '06 to end up in the same fucking place in 7 years. rinse and repeat. It is further cementing us as the atlanta hawks of this generation and makes me want to throw the fuck up. Masai is the flavor of the month until the fanbase realizes how tough a position he has put himself in.

go.
    1. You are expecting posters on raptors republic to all share your negativity? Would much rather an overly positive fan base than the opposite, what a miserable experience that would be.

2. Wondering what Masai has done wrong so far....two good trades, perhaps he could've reacted fast after the raptors showed signs of serious improvement after the Gay trade and offloaded Lowry for a bag of chips, but it ain't that easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote BigCamB wrote: View Post
    1. You are expecting posters on raptors republic to all share your negativity? Would much rather an overly positive fan base than the opposite, what a miserable experience that would be.

2. Wondering what Masai has done wrong so far....two good trades, perhaps he could've reacted fast after the raptors showed signs of serious improvement after the Gay trade and offloaded Lowry for a bag of chips, but it ain't that easy.
    No! No! don't fall into his trap. it's an unpopular opinion thread! don't debate

10. Like Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Crap. Sorry

Yeah, don't let the raptors good run and likeable team make you puke mate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote BigCamB wrote: View Post

OH NO,

“The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

go.
    I'm sorry you feel that way. Hope you are wrong.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

go.
    Within here lies a good talking point which I can relate to.

If tanking was the plan, well, it didn't work out. Like all decisions they need to be readdressed when new information arises. The new information with the Raptors is, regardless of circumstances such as injuries and tanking, they are a good eastern conference team right now.

I think Masai leaves the team as is for now and reevaluates post season, draft night, and in to free agency. I would not be surprised to see just about anyone moved on the team after this season is done, though. Keeping the team together means the Raptors are going to be relying on internal/organic growth moving forward.

They've come this far and, if Masai is to be believed, they have earned to right to finish the year.

After this year, no holds barred.

But in the meantime enjoy the best basketball since the early 2000's.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

15. Like Joey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Within here lies a good talking point which I can relate to.

If tanking was the plan, well, it didn't work out. Like all decisions they need to be readdressed when new information arises. The new information with the Raptors is, regardless of circumstances such as injuries and tanking, they are a good eastern conference team right now.

I think Masai leaves the team as is for now and reevaluates post season, draft night, and in to free agency. I would not be surprised to see just about anyone moved on the team after this season is done, though. Keeping the team together means the Raptors are going to be relying on internal/organic growth moving forward.

They've come this far and, if Masai is to be believed, they have earned to right to finish the year.

After this year, no holds barred.

But in the meantime enjoy the best basketball since the early 2000's.
    Damnit MATT, why do you have to be logical in this thread. Now I gotta respond logically. So here goes:

For all the negative points brought forward by this and other related threads, what does a franchise do when they've surrendered assets to be bad for the lottery and then the top players decide to come back for another year in college? Then what?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Lowry makes me very nervous and I think it'd be a blessing in disguise if he lands a big money deal elsewhere.
    yep
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Damnit MATT, why do you have to be logical in this thread. Now I gotta respond logically. So here goes:

For all the negative points brought forward by this and other related threads, what does a franchise do when they've surrendered assets to be bad for the lottery and then the top players decide to come back for another year in college? Then what?

Take the BPA?

And anyone who is hoping that one year in the top of the lottery is going to automatically field a winner absent significant injuries is delusional.

Building through top end of the lottery is a multi-year endeavour which takes patience and persistence to see it though. Few GMs are willing to do it because losing for a significant stretch is a great way to be out of a job. Those that do take that route need to make the most of their decisions (like Presti) versus make significant gaffs (like Grant).
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Feb 5th, 2014 at 11:00 AM.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Take the BPA?

And anyone who is hoping that one year in the top of the lottery is going to automatically field a winner absent significant injuries is delusional.

Building through top end of the lottery is a multi-year endeavour which takes patience and persistence to see it though. Few GMs are willing to do it because losing for a significant stretch is a great way to be out of a job. Those that do take that route need to make the most of their decisions (like Presti) versus make significant gaffs (like Grant).
    Exactly the point many posters are in agreement.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit off topic, but the stories about how a bunch of the top prospects could end up back at school next year isn't anything more than fabricated content to fill the news cycle. I'd be willing to bet that 3 of the 4 from the Parker, Wiggins, Randle, Embiid group all end up in the NBA next year, with all 4 declaring still being very probable. Exum has already declared. Smart will come out this year. It just seems like that narrative is being a little overblown right now.

These kids yield questions about their draft plans when they're in the middle of their college seasons, and they predictably give standard and cliched responses. If they came out and said "Yeah, I'm leaving Kansas for the NBA the first chance I get!", then THAT becomes a big story and they'll be accused of not buying into the team, not being focused on this season, etc.

So they offer up the vanilla answer of "I haven't made any decisions about my future. I love it here at Duke. I'm open to coming back another year." to keep things calm on the PR front. I feel like we hear those types of quotes from the top prospects every single year and yet how many of them actually end up back in school? Not very many.

21. Like Mapko, OldSkoolCool, magoon, salmon liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Take the BPA?

If only those other GMs could find an owner that gives 2 shits about the people in the stands, because he's moving the team. Easy to be brave, patient and persistent when given such free rein, but most GMs deal with a different reality.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    A bit off topic, but the stories about how a bunch of the top prospects could end up back at school next year isn't anything more than fabricated content to fill the news cycle. I'd be willing to bet that 3 of the 4 from the Parker, Wiggins, Randle, Embiid group all end up in the NBA next year, with all 4 declaring still being very probable. Exum has already declared. Smart will come out this year. It just seems like that narrative is being a little overblown right now.

These kids yield questions about their draft plans when they're in the middle of their college seasons, and they predictably give standard and cliched responses. If they came out and said "Yeah, I'm leaving Kansas for the NBA the first chance I get!", then THAT becomes a big story and they'll be accused of not buying into the team, not being focused on this season, etc.

So they offer up the vanilla answer of "I haven't made any decisions about my future. I love it here at Duke. I'm open to coming back another year." to keep things calm on the PR front. I feel like we hear those types of quotes from the top prospects every single year and yet how many of them actually end up back in school? Not very many.
    Agreed. Other than Smart last year, I can't think of any recent TOP prospects returning to school.

Of the guys I could see returning, it's names like Noah Vonleh, and Zach LaVine that make sense. Could return for 1 more year and return as Top 5 picks next year.

Post Thanks / Like

The only one i can really see going back is Parker and that has more to do with the rat king's jedi mind tricks than anything. I do think he'd be better off going back another year but i also think if you're a top 5 pick you declare so whatever.

Interesting reading about Exum essentially threatening to force himself to the Lakers, i wonder if it ended up gaining steam would Wiggins consider doing the same with the Raps?
    @jerboat

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information