Casey not standing up for his team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JawsGT wrote: View Post
    All pros are guilty of relaxing at times, and I don't think the Raps manage to "not bring it on a daily basis". That's exaggerating a bit no?

All I'm saying is that they know why they lost the game, and I doubt any of them feel it was because of that call on Lowry, and I doubt they need Casey to point that out.
    I'm a "pro" at my job but I don't bring it every single day. People are complex creatures and its very difficult to create that "in the zone" mental state every 2nd day. Motivation is one of Casey's biggest roles.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
      I'm a "pro" at my job but I don't bring it every single day. People are complex creatures and its very difficult to create that "in the zone" mental state every 2nd day. Motivation is one of Casey's biggest roles.
      agree... but I don't see him doing it, especially with JV. I mean the motivation thing.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
        He should've sent Vasquez to pee on the refs.

Seriously though I was half hoping he and Demar got themselves kicked out too to protest that mockery of an officiating job.
        I remember the last game of the season vs the bucks a season or two back. DeRozan gets called for a foul and he grabs the ball and chucks it into the stands, takes off his shirt and leaves hahaha

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
          http://nba.si.com/2014/01/17/gregg-p...spurs-blazers/

Sometimes, it's called for. Last night, it was called for.
          Well, I agree that sometimes it's called for, but from the sound of the quote you used to back up your point, there was still a lot of time in that game. The Raps had 25 seconds left when the call against Lowry happened and I am pretty sure that whatever spark Casey's ejection would have given the team would have been a little underwhelming with no time left on the clock. It would have been a silly waste of money.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
            All pros are guilty of relaxing at times, and I don't think the Raps manage to "not bring it on a daily basis". That's exaggerating a bit no?

All I'm saying is that they know why they lost the game, and I doubt any of them feel it was because of that call on Lowry, and I doubt they need Casey to point that out.
            Not an exaggeration.

The Raps trail more often than lead at the half and after 3 quarters.

Q1
            Raps 25.6
            Opp 24.3
            Lead 28
            Trail 18

Q2
            Raps 23.9
            Opp 24.7
            Lead 23
            Trail 25

Q3
            Raps 24.4
            Opp 24.9
            Lead 21
            Trail 25

Q4
            Raps 24.6
            Opp 21.6

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball...arters/14/28/1

Here are game articles using a quick google search:

Feb 2nd
            DeRozan, like the rest of his teammates, came out flat in the first half. Coming off a win in Denver the night before, Toronto shot 35 per cent from the field in the opening 24 minutes, misfiring on all eight attempts from three-point range. As a team they couldn't execute, missed makeable shots and left their defensive effort in the Mile High City. It was ugly.

Jan 9th
            Both teams shot poorly in the first-half, but the Raptors were particularly woeful, only shooting 33% from the field. After shooting under 40% against the Pacers on Tuesday night, the Raps came out just as anemic at the ACC. DeRozan went 0-9 in the first half, and he, Lowry, and Amir Johnson were a combined 1 of 19 at the interval. An air-balled John Salmons 3 at the end of the half just summed things up for the Raptors on offense. The defense in the first-half wasn't much better either.

Jan 24
            Slow starts have doomed the Raptors of late, and it looked like they had figured out their early game problems when they jumped out to a 15-2 lead to start the game. But the Sixers found the answer to the Raptors defense, shooting 46 percent from the floor as they came storming back to put 28 points on the board in the opening quarter.

Jan 15
            hosting the league-worst Milwaukee Bucks on Tuesday. Following a slow start that had head coach Dwayne Casey yelling on the sidelines, the Raptors surged in the third quarter en route to a 116-94 rout. Casey is concerned about his players keeping their perspective, saying after the game: "We don't have any right, yet, to overlook anyone in this league. This is a tough league, we're still building, we're still getting there."

This doesn't even include the Kings game.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Why would you see him doing it? Are you at practices? Are you in the video room with them? Are you on the bench during games? That is a ridiculous statement.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                They'd notice if his tirade made it on every channel and every website. Sometimes you have to allow yourself to look like a fool to get a message across.

Tirade would be talked about for 2 weeks, brushing it off means only Raps fans will remember and there'll be no pressure on the league.
                Hahahaha, you mean go all Bobby Knight on the refs? I dunno, seems a little bush league to me. Even in the college ranks, Knight, though respected is sort of an outsider for his gruffness. The NBA coaching fraternity is pretty dignified, and I don't know if Casey wants to single himself out by going to those lengths. What message would it get across other than he see's himself as being above the game?

Comment

AF Basket wrote: View Post
                  agree... but I don't see him doing it, especially with JV. I mean the motivation thing.
                  Why would you be able to see him "doing it"? Are you regularly attending practices? Are you in the locker room pre, during and post games? Are you on the bench? In the video room?
                  What a ridiculous thing to say.

Comment

Add in the following bonus stat:

Toronto Raptors are 6 - 19 if trailing after 3rd quarter

That is why it is more important for Casey to get the players to focus on their efforts rather than a single missed call.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                      Add in the following bonus stat:

Toronto Raptors are 6 - 19 if trailing after 3rd quarter

That is why it is more important for Casey to get the players to focus on their efforts rather than a single missed call.
                      Well this is one of those stats that is kind of self-explanatory.
                      6-19 is actually a little better than I would have expected.
                      "Bruno?
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Well this is one of those stats that is kind of self-explanatory.
                        6-19 is actually a little better than I would have expected.
                        Why? Still 25% of the game to go; unless it's a blow-out.

That also means we are trailing entering the 4th Q in 25 games out of 49 games. So 50%. If you want to be a contender, you can't put yourself in that position and not be better in the 4th.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                          Why? Still 25% of the game to go; unless it's a blow-out.

That also means we are trailing entering the 4th Q in 25 games out of 49 games. So 50%. If you want to be a contender, you can't put yourself in that position and not be better in the 4th.
                          Well we are 26-23 so trailing in 25 games after 3 isn't too much worse than trailing in 23 after 4!

I think it's safe to say that when playing a better team, it's not ever too surprising to be trailing at some point. When we're trailing after 3, either the other team has shown that it's better or we've had a bad start. I'd say the former probably occurs more often than the latter.
                          "Bruno?
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Well we are 26-23 so trailing in 25 games after 3 isn't too much worse than trailing in 23 after 4!

I think it's safe to say that when playing a better team, it's not ever too surprising to be trailing at some point. When we're trailing after 3, either the other team has shown that it's better or we've had a bad start. I'd say the former probably occurs more often than the latter.
                            haha ever the optimist!

Are bad starts acceptable? How many games is it acceptable for a pro athlete to not show up for half?

If the other team is better, absolutely, expectation is we'd lose. But bad starts are largely because we lack effort (don't drive, don't rebound, don't defend). The Sac game is a perfect example. There is no way we should be losing that game, but because the guys didn't show up focused, we lost. Plain and simple. As a coach, I find that unacceptable.

Comment

Another poor start hurts the team.

Comment

Working...
                              X