Casey not standing up for his team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel wrote: View Post
    Agree with iblastoff. We didn't deserve to be in that game. If we had played hard all night then it's a different story; but the message Casey needs to get across to the players has nothing to do with that call, it has everything to do with how they played the other 3 quarters of ball. If he flips out, he can't shift the teams focus to where it belongs. Casey made the right decision.
    Agree with you except for that. A basketball is 48 minutes long, we played well near the end and they didn't so yes we did deserve to be in the game.

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
      Agree with you except for that. A basketball is 48 minutes long, we played well near the end and they didn't so yes we did deserve to be in the game.
      There's a difference between almost winning and deserving to win. If you worked hard, fought for every ball and played tight defense but your shots just weren't falling, then you can "deserve a win". Deserving is a function of effort and focus. A basketball game is 48 minutes long, like you said. If you only play hard for 12 minutes, that doesn't cut it.

It's a pretty standard use of that phrase.
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Casey should've gone off like Lou Piniella, the game was over, get your money's worth and start throwing chairs and calling the ref blind. Make your team know that you're willing to fight for them.

I'm sure he would've gained a lot of respect from the team if he had done something worthy of getting a fine.

Comment

Fine is what 25-50k? Chump change.

While I agree that the team played like shit for 3 quarters, that in itself is not a good enough reason to not stand up for your team against an obvious blown call that would have made it a 2 point game with 26 second left. After the call, the game was over so there was no worries about extra FTs. I was really expecting DC to get himself tossed out of the game.

Comment

Not like it would have made a difference.

If you're going to go off on the refs, do it when there's still time for it to fire up your team and spark a run. Otherwise you're just pissing money away.

Comment

Jangles wrote: View Post
              Fine is what 25-50k? Chump change.

While I agree that the team played like shit for 3 quarters, that in itself is not a good enough reason to not stand up for your team against an obvious blown call that would have made it a 2 point game with 26 second left. After the call, the game was over so there was no worries about extra FTs. I was really expecting DC to get himself tossed out of the game.
              Great thread

this isn't about one game. This is about a message that Casey is trying to send the team. i.e. No one is going to give us anything. Yeah, there will be bad calls, but if we want to be taken seriously, we have to blow out teams like that, no be blown out.

I totally back Casey not focusing on this and moving to the next game. "Standing up" for them would put extra emphasis on one call and give the team an excuse, and if you have listened to casey the whole year, he has continuously said things like "we haven't done anything", "we're a young team trying to deal with the physicality of what it takes to win in this league" (sorry for using physicality)

Casey not getting fined was the difference between the raptors leaving the gym thinking "that game was unacceptable" and "man, we could've won if the refs didn't blow that call"...there is a HUGE difference between those two lines of thinking

Comment

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Both sides are making great points here. A part of me thinks that Casey could have lost it, got t'd up, tossed, fined and still be able to hammer home the fact that the Raps played crappy through the first 3 Q's. I'm not convinced that had he backed up his guys on that play that it would have suggested to the team that the call was more important to the outcome of the game than the Raps actual play. The guys are pros, they know they didn't bring it and that's why they were in the position they were near the end of game.

If Casey had lost it and got tossed, he could have used that fact alone as motivation for the team. It was the terrible play of the team that ultimately put Casey in the position that he would have had to lose it on the refs, and he doesn't want to be put in that position again, so wake the f--k up and play for 4 Q's.

I don't know, a part of me wishes he had lost it on the refs, because although that wasn't why the Raps lost the game, the refs deserved to be told off by the teams bench leader, and it may have been good for the team had he done so. Either way I don't think it's a big deal, but good discussion in this thread!

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                  I'm not sure how I feel about this. Both sides are making great points here. A part of me thinks that Casey could have lost it, got t'd up, tossed, fined and still be able to hammer home the fact that the Raps played crappy through the first 3 Q's. I'm not convinced that had he backed up his guys on that play that it would have suggested to the team that the call was more important to the outcome of the game than the Raps actual play. The guys are pros, they know they didn't bring it and that's why they were in the position they were near the end of game.

If Casey had lost it and got tossed, he could have used that fact alone as motivation for the team. It was the terrible play of the team that ultimately put Casey in the position that he would have had to lose it on the refs, and he doesn't want to be put in that position again, so wake the f--k up and play for 4 Q's.

I don't know, a part of me wishes he had lost it on the refs, because although that wasn't why the Raps lost the game, the refs deserved to be told off by the teams bench leader, and it may have been good for the team had he done so. Either way I don't think it's a big deal, but good discussion in this thread!
                  To the bold, they are pros, but they still manage to "not bring it" on a daily basis. This isn't the first time the Raps slept through half a game. Motivating humans is complex, but coaches have to get their players to focus one way or another. At that stage of the game, the focus needed to be on the next game and correcting their internal errors. If it's the end of the 3rd Q, different story; but it wasn't.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Just shows that Casey has a lot better patience than me. Cause i know personally i wouldn't of even thought about the fine and probably would of went absolutely ballistic.

Comment

I don't think it would have made any sense for Casey to get fined or get kicked out of that game. If Pop, goes off on a ref, and gets ejected the league takes notice and there is coverage on it, when a nobody like Casey does it, nobody cares or takes notice. After all of those games we lost last season due to bad calls did the league take notice and start officiating our games differently? Nope. The league does a great job of brushing things that happen to nobodies under the carpet and keeping things under wraps. It's only when a big name like Pop speaks out or a bogus foul gets called on Kobe that anyone notices.

Comment

do we really need to hope for a 4th Q comeback on each single game?... DC have what he deserve, contract extension?, Why?...

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                          I don't think it would have made any sense for Casey to get fined or get kicked out of that game. If Pop, goes off on a ref, and gets ejected the league takes notice and there is coverage on it, when a nobody like Casey does it, nobody cares or takes notice. After all of those games we lost last season due to bad calls did the league take notice and start officiating our games differently? Nope. The league does a great job of brushing things that happen to nobodies under the carpet and keeping things under wraps. It's only when a big name like Pop speaks out or a bogus foul gets called on Kobe that anyone notices.
                          They'd notice if his tirade made it on every channel and every website. Sometimes you have to allow yourself to look like a fool to get a message across.

Tirade would be talked about for 2 weeks, brushing it off means only Raps fans will remember and there'll be no pressure on the league.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                            They'd notice if his tirade made it on every channel and every website. Sometimes you have to allow yourself to look like a fool to get a message across.

Tirade would be talked about for 2 weeks, brushing it off means only Raps fans will remember and there'll be no pressure on the league.
                            I liked the fact that both KL and DC brushed it off. Classy. There are certain things in sports that you can't control, it's better to focus on the things that you can, and execute those as best possible.

I think that's why Casey didn't explode. Realistically, him getting pissed wouldn't make an ounce of difference for the rest of the season. I don't believe that refs have it out for certain teams. I do think they pay all of their attention to superstars though.
                            "Bruno?
                            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

do we really need to hope for a 4th Q comeback on each single game?... DC have what he deserves, contract extension?, Why?...
                              I don't care if DC goes off or not... what I really care is that the team is hoping and waiting on others to see if they win the game or not... we lost the game from the 1st Q and to tell you more the coaching before and during the game was very poor (obviously they didn't do their homework)....but it's just my opinion.
                              Last edited by AF Basket; Fri Feb 7, 2014, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                                To the bold, they are pros, but they still manage to "not bring it" on a daily basis. This isn't the first time the Raps slept through half a game. Motivating humans is complex, but coaches have to get their players to focus one way or another. At that stage of the game, the focus needed to be on the next game and correcting their internal errors. If it's the end of the 3rd Q, different story; but it wasn't.
                                All pros are guilty of relaxing at times, and I don't think the Raps manage to "not bring it on a daily basis". That's exaggerating a bit no?

All I'm saying is that they know why they lost the game, and I doubt any of them feel it was because of that call on Lowry, and I doubt they need Casey to point that out.

Comment

Working...
                                X