No announcement yet.

Loul Deng - Seriously we gotta get this guy in the off season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think people undervalue Deng, and don't realize that our bigger hole is SF not PF.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
      I think people undervalue Deng, and don't realize that our bigger hole is SF not PF.
      We have a lot of holes in general.

Backup PG
      Backup SG
      Starting SF
      Assuming Salmons is gone sometime in the offseason, a backup SF
      Backup C

Comment

mike, prague wrote:
        Backup PG ... Vazquez not 100% ideal but he isn't a hole.
        Backup SG ... Ross is a solid backup (or at least will be ... maybe more)
        Starting SF ... Deng dang it!
        Backup SF ... Sign LeBron otherwise yes it's a hole
        Backup C ... Hole, trade for Chris Kaman
        In other words, signing Deng is great idea which would duct-tape two holes and he also fits perfectly into Casey-ball (assuming he gets re-signed)

Comment

This idea sounds very much like the Colangelo thing to do.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
            This idea sounds very much like the Colangelo thing to do.
            Not disagreeing, but how?

Comment

I also think Deng would be a really good fit with this team.

Comment

mike, prague wrote: View Post
                Not disagreeing, but how?
                Well known name around the league: check. Past his prime: check.

Do we really need Deng to play the 3 and take away minutes from Ross? Does it make our starting 5 better or would we have the same issues (no post scorer)?

Deng 5 years ago would have been a great move. Today, it screams Colangelo's "accelerated rebuild".

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                  Well known name around the league: check. Past his prime: check.

Do we really need Deng to play the 3 and take away minutes from Ross? Does it make our starting 5 better or would we have the same issues (no post scorer)?

Deng 5 years ago would have been a great move. Today, it screams Colangelo's "accelerated rebuild".
                  Fair point, though this really is not a Hedo/Jermain O'neal deal. Jermain was WAY past his prime and was after an injury, and Hedo only really had one good season.

You know what you are getting with Luol Deng, and he isn't even 30 yet. His defensive ability is why I like his fit so much. He can also score in the post consistently. He is someone that would keep the Raps more consistent rather than the jekyl/hyde performances we have seen from the young Raps.

Though, I do see validity in your post, there are many other ways to improve this team, but if we were attempting to max out this lineup, Luol Deng seems to me to be a very viable option.
                  The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Considering the kind of bankroll MLSE has, it would not surprise me if we get an upgrade at both SF and PF next season.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                      Fair point, though this really is not a Hedo/Jermain O'neal deal. Jermain was WAY past his prime and was after an injury, and Hedo only really had one good season.

You know what you are getting with Luol Deng, and he isn't even 30 yet. His defensive ability is why I like his fit so much. He can also score in the post consistently. He is someone that would keep the Raps more consistent rather than the jekyl/hyde performances we have seen from the young Raps.

Though, I do see validity in your post, there are many other ways to improve this team, but if we were attempting to max out this lineup, Luol Deng seems to me to be a very viable option.
                      In 3 years, who do you want starting, Deng or Ross?

I don't seem the point in spending that much money for Deng. He isn't going to fix the post scoring problem and will take away opportunities from our young wings. You want to bring in competition for Ross, a vet to push him harder; not push him to the bench.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                        Considering the kind of bankroll MLSE has, it would not surprise me if we get an upgrade at both SF and PF next season.
                        Bankroll is great for resigning your own players.

Bankroll does nothing to get them on your roster once you're near, at, or above the salary cap.

Comment

29 years old is actually pretty old when you're talking about a big money extension; the average players sees huge declines once they hit their 30's. Throw in the fact that he has been eternally banged up the last few seasons and still logging 35 plus minutes a game when he plays, and he becomes a player that I don't want anything to do with this summer. I'm a fan of Deng but I'd rather another team assume that risk.

Comment

I like Deng

But we really need some three point shooting from our wing players. Deng isn't a very good 3 point shooter

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Bankroll is great for resigning your own players.

Bankroll does nothing to get them on your roster once you're near, at, or above the salary cap.
                              I'm definitely no expert on cap rules, but if Nets and Lakers can get that far over the cap, there has to be a way for Toronto too as well doesn't there?

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                                I'm definitely no expert on cap rules, but if Nets and Lakers can get that far over the cap, there has to be a way for Toronto too as well doesn't there?
                                They got over the cap by acquiring max contracts via trade, drafting max contract players that got paid on extensions, and using exceptions and or sign and trades some of which are either no longer possible under new CBA or significantly altered.

Best case for Raps to avail of Bankroll is to draft high talent players or trade for guys thereby obtaining Bird Rights on extensions.

Free agency is not the place to spend over the luxury tax unless you're adding one $3 or $5m contract at a time along with minimum contracts.

Comment

Working...
                                X