Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Loul Deng - Seriously we gotta get this guy in the off season

Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I also think Deng would be a really good fit with this team.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mike, prague wrote: View Post
    Not disagreeing, but how?
    Well known name around the league: check. Past his prime: check.

Do we really need Deng to play the 3 and take away minutes from Ross? Does it make our starting 5 better or would we have the same issues (no post scorer)?

Deng 5 years ago would have been a great move. Today, it screams Colangelo's "accelerated rebuild".

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Well known name around the league: check. Past his prime: check.

Do we really need Deng to play the 3 and take away minutes from Ross? Does it make our starting 5 better or would we have the same issues (no post scorer)?

Deng 5 years ago would have been a great move. Today, it screams Colangelo's "accelerated rebuild".
    Fair point, though this really is not a Hedo/Jermain O'neal deal. Jermain was WAY past his prime and was after an injury, and Hedo only really had one good season.

You know what you are getting with Luol Deng, and he isn't even 30 yet. His defensive ability is why I like his fit so much. He can also score in the post consistently. He is someone that would keep the Raps more consistent rather than the jekyl/hyde performances we have seen from the young Raps.

Though, I do see validity in your post, there are many other ways to improve this team, but if we were attempting to max out this lineup, Luol Deng seems to me to be a very viable option.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

4. Like mike, prague liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering the kind of bankroll MLSE has, it would not surprise me if we get an upgrade at both SF and PF next season.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Fair point, though this really is not a Hedo/Jermain O'neal deal. Jermain was WAY past his prime and was after an injury, and Hedo only really had one good season.

You know what you are getting with Luol Deng, and he isn't even 30 yet. His defensive ability is why I like his fit so much. He can also score in the post consistently. He is someone that would keep the Raps more consistent rather than the jekyl/hyde performances we have seen from the young Raps.

Though, I do see validity in your post, there are many other ways to improve this team, but if we were attempting to max out this lineup, Luol Deng seems to me to be a very viable option.
    In 3 years, who do you want starting, Deng or Ross?

I don't seem the point in spending that much money for Deng. He isn't going to fix the post scoring problem and will take away opportunities from our young wings. You want to bring in competition for Ross, a vet to push him harder; not push him to the bench.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Considering the kind of bankroll MLSE has, it would not surprise me if we get an upgrade at both SF and PF next season.
    Bankroll is great for resigning your own players.

Bankroll does nothing to get them on your roster once you're near, at, or above the salary cap.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

29 years old is actually pretty old when you're talking about a big money extension; the average players sees huge declines once they hit their 30's. Throw in the fact that he has been eternally banged up the last few seasons and still logging 35 plus minutes a game when he plays, and he becomes a player that I don't want anything to do with this summer. I'm a fan of Deng but I'd rather another team assume that risk.

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Deng

But we really need some three point shooting from our wing players. Deng isn't a very good 3 point shooter

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Bankroll is great for resigning your own players.

Bankroll does nothing to get them on your roster once you're near, at, or above the salary cap.
    I'm definitely no expert on cap rules, but if Nets and Lakers can get that far over the cap, there has to be a way for Toronto too as well doesn't there?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely no expert on cap rules, but if Nets and Lakers can get that far over the cap, there has to be a way for Toronto too as well doesn't there?
    They got over the cap by acquiring max contracts via trade, drafting max contract players that got paid on extensions, and using exceptions and or sign and trades some of which are either no longer possible under new CBA or significantly altered.

Best case for Raps to avail of Bankroll is to draft high talent players or trade for guys thereby obtaining Bird Rights on extensions.

Free agency is not the place to spend over the luxury tax unless you're adding one $3 or $5m contract at a time along with minimum contracts.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

I also don't think getting Deng is a better option then cap space- Look what the jazz got for having cap space and taking on bad contracts with GSW this year.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

You could for example re-sign Patterson or Vasquez to a near-max contract, combine him with picks and trade for Zach Randolph or Eric Gordon or such. That's roughly what Brooklyn did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    You could for example re-sign Patterson or Vasquez to a near-max contract, combine him with picks and trade for Zach Randolph or Eric Gordon or such. That's roughly what Brooklyn did.
    I bet Daye would sign up for a Bogans!

$5M to make the numbers work!
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

who the fuck is loul deng?

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Laugh Out Loud Deng
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information