No announcement yet.

We really need Greg Monroe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"If we wanted Monroe we'd have to send Detroit a 1st round pick, likely this years but maybe we can convince them to take a future one. Something like Hansbrough and a 1st for Monroe might get it done. Maybe Vasquez and a 1st. If we make it our 2014 pick I think Detroit takes it.

It would have to be more than TH or Vasquez along with the first. Detroit just fired thier coach. The owner wants to win now.So they may make a deal below Monroes Fair Market Value. Its a nutbreaker but it would have to be Lowry and the 1st to get Detroit to the table. A 1st for the future potential Detroit is giving up as Monroe is an RFA and Lowry because Detroit has to win now. Steep price but thats what I think it would cost. Monroe really is that good. He has been under the radar as he has been playing for a badly coached team.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Feb 9, 2014, 06:07 PM.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
      Pistons need wing players. So they probably would ask for one of DeRozan or Ross. No way i trade DeRozan or Ross for Monroe.
      If Dumars called with that offer of Monroe today for Ross straight up you make that deal.

If they call for Ross and our 1st this year you make that deal.

If they call for Ross and Derozan and a pick you say no.
      - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
        If Dumars called with that offer of Monroe today for Ross straight up you make that deal.

Hell no. We don't even know if he'll resign, thats a stupid move

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          Hell no. We don't even know if he'll resign, thats a stupid move
          Monroe is an RFA, meaning if any team wants to sign him, the Raptors (assuming they traded for him) could match the offer. And because he's their free agent they can go over the cap to do so. Teams have a lot of leverage with RFA's.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            Monroe is an RFA, meaning if any team wants to sign him, the Raptors (assuming they traded for him) could match the offer. And because he's their free agent they can go over the cap to do so. Teams have a lot of leverage with RFA's.
            My bad. But still, i wouldn't give up a 1st rounder for him. Even if it is outside the lotto

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              The one thing I am not 100% on is if Detroit does trade Monroe BEFORE he reaches RFA status in July does that somehow rescind his RFA status and makes him a UFA.

If we retain Monore and his RFA status stays with the team he is traded to then we can lock him up by simply matching whatever offer sheet comes in. For that I would trade Ross and the 1st rounder. You absolutely know what your getting. He projects as a legit big body PF with a fairly dependable 18pt and 9 rebound avg for the foreseeable future barring injury.
              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Feb 9, 2014, 06:51 PM.
              - TGO

Comment

The one thing I am not 100% on is if Detroit does trade Monroe BEFORE he reaches RFA status in July does that somehow rescinds his RFA status and makes him a UFA.

If we retain Monore and his RFA status then we can lock him up by matching whatever offer sheet comes in.
                His status will not be rescinded.. just like 2Pat's and GV's RFA status remained the same with the Raptors after they were traded from Sacramento.

Comment

Ross and first rounder--no way !

Comment

Monroe is going to want a big payday coming up, and I don't think we should be the ones that give it to him. For the yearly salary he's going to command (probably in the 13-14 million dollar range), we can have both Johnson and Patterson. I wouldn't break the bank - and payroll flexibility on a player who is good, but not great. Has he shown the ability to carry his team at any point? I haven't seen it. Let some other team overpay for him.

Sent from my C1904 using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by MangoKid; Sun Feb 9, 2014, 09:33 PM.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                      Monroe is going to want a big payday coming up, and I don't think we should be the ones that give it to him. For the yearly salary he's going to command (probably in the 13-14 million dollar range), we can have both Johnson and Patterson. I wouldn't break the bank - and payroll flexibility on a player who is good, but not great. Has he shown the ability to carry his team at any point? I haven't seen it. Let some other team overpay for him.
                      Monroe will want a big payday because he has earned it. The marketplace will set his value. It wont be 13-14 (Aldridge/Love money) but closer to 12. Four years for 50M is FMV. If cirucumstance arose where Dumars did put Monroe up on the block and the price to get him off the current roster was a young wing for a young big prevailing wisdom says you make the move.

You build cap flexibility to take advantage of situations where another team is hooped or desparate. This qualifies as one of those times. There is an adage that says Never lose a deal on money. MLSE has the money for this kind of deal.
                      - TGO

Comment

I just don't see it, sorry. I know it's an uncommon opinion judging by this thread but whatever. It's a terrible defensive fit with JV. He's slow, he can't move laterally, he can't jump, he is a non factor blocking shots. How on earth is that going to work with JV? Some people think he can improve....maybe??? It's a serious gamble. He doesn't have the physical tools for starters apart from a decent wingspan. Sure there are players who are not good athletes that can defend, like Marc Gasol who IMO is as good defensively as any big man. But he is bigger, and surprisingly moves quite well on the perimeter. He's also a genius on the court. Nup, I'll pass.

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
                          I just don't see it, sorry. I know it's an uncommon opinion judging by this thread but whatever. It's a terrible defensive fit with JV. He's slow, he can't move laterally, he can't jump, he is a non factor blocking shots. How on earth is that going to work with JV? Some people think he can improve....maybe??? It's a serious gamble. He doesn't have the physical tools for starters apart from a decent wingspan. Sure there are players who are not good athletes that can defend, like Marc Gasol who IMO is as good defensively as any big man. But he is bigger, and surprisingly moves quite well on the perimeter. He's also a genius on the court. Nup, I'll pass.
                          Yeah you can't overpay for middling offensive production with absolutely no D. In my opinion Monroe deserves at most a Demar-sized contract, but he may very well get offered well in excess of that. He'd have to come super cheap in terms of assets surrendered in order for me to want to take a flyer on him.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                            Jennings doesnt have what it takes to run an inside out offense... which you know with Hollins its all going to be about Greg/Smith and Drummond.

Jennings is too trigger happy.
                            Jennings is pretty unselfish this year. He is a poor defender, and that's something that would concern Hollins much more IMO. He's a poor shooter and a poor finisher. But he's looking for his teammates' shots.

Also, Drummond isn't Marc Gasol, I think you'd definitely want a strong outside creator in that offense. Heck, Hollins wanted outside creators and complained about the Gay trade even when he had Gasol/ZBO, who were a much better inside offensive combo than what Detroit has.

In general, Hollins is far from a strict offensive system coach. His offense changed a lot year to year in Memphis, depending on the players he had. Constants were toughness, chemistry, effort, especially on boards and defense.

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post

Appreciate your point of view on this. It is big deal with a lot of risk. .. but as the adage goes.. Big risk.. Big Reward.
                              - TGO

Comment

Chris Bosh is the answer at the 4 spot & I'm dead serious.
                                “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Working...
                                X