Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KHD wrote: View Post
    Kiss any semblance of defence goodbye.
    4 days later, and seems plenty are fine with that, cuz Monroe can shoot da puck! so what if he has 2 left feet and an airy head on defense. as bad, if not worse than bargs, sheesh

Comment

Note to those pining for Monroe, and ignoring his horrible D. His stat line tonight (that which affects the stats you read into later) against Cavs looks good, hey: 16 pts on 7/13, 9 RBs, 5 ASTs, 1 BLK, 1 STL. Looks great until you look at his opposing PF (Tristan Thompson, no all star yet) going for 25 pts on 12/16, 15 RBs. NO D

Comment

Would love a player such as Monroe but him and JV would be a bad pairing. JV is still learning how to play effective Defense and Monroe just refuses to play any sort of defense . Also the asking price for Monroe is probably to high for us. And Monroe is probably going to make 12-13 Million next year and It would not be wise to spend that much money on a good player(Not Star).
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
          Would love a player such as Monroe but him and JV would be a bad pairing. JV is still learning how to play effective Defense and Monroe just refuses to play any sort of defense . Also the asking price for Monroe is probably to high for us. And Monroe is probably going to make 12-13 Million next year and It would not be wise to spend that much money on a good player(Not Star).
          ummmm, why would you " love a player such as Monroe" who you say " just refuses to play any sort of defense"? (Note: not sure refuses, more than can't, but in either case)

Comment

As a defensive pairing, there isn't enough quickness, and monroe is just bad at it. As a offensive pairing, they operate in the same area which means less space in the lane, which isn't a good idea when our all-star's best skill is driving.

Monroe+JV is not a good fit. Going for talent not fit is The exact reason that detroit is in this mess. We don't need monroe
            @Boymusic66

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
              Jennings is pretty unselfish this year. He is a poor defender, and that's something that would concern Hollins much more IMO. He's a poor shooter and a poor finisher. But he's looking for his teammates' shots.

Also, Drummond isn't Marc Gasol, I think you'd definitely want a strong outside creator in that offense. Heck, Hollins wanted outside creators and complained about the Gay trade even when he had Gasol/ZBO, who were a much better inside offensive combo than what Detroit has.

In general, Hollins is far from a strict offensive system coach. His offense changed a lot year to year in Memphis, depending on the players he had. Constants were toughness, chemistry, effort, especially on boards and defense.
              See bold: Then WTF is he good at?

Comment

Mapko wrote: View Post
                Ahahahah I was asking myself the same thing when I saw that!!

Comment

salmon wrote: View Post
                  Note to those pining for Monroe, and ignoring his horrible D. His stat line tonight (that which affects the stats you read into later) against Cavs looks good, hey: 16 pts on 7/13, 9 RBs, 5 ASTs, 1 BLK, 1 STL. Looks great until you look at his opposing PF (Tristan Thompson, no all star yet) going for 25 pts on 12/16, 15 RBs. NO D
                  Speaking of Tristan Thompson: wasn't there a talk that Cavs made him available? Perhaps he did not progress this year, but then who got better in Cav's shit hole? With all the issues this year, even a veteran like Deng is lost.
                  BTW even Deng might be available.
                  Thought: Amir, Ross (or DD) and NY 1st for TT & Deng. Little fine tuning?
                  Last edited by Mapko; Sun Feb 16, 2014, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Speaking of Tristan Thompson: wasn't there a talk that Cavs made him available? Perhaps he did nor progress this year, but then who got better in Cav's shit hole? With all the issues this year, even a veteran like Deng is lost.
                    BTW even Deng might be available. Thought: Amir, Ross (or DD) and NY 1st for TT & Deng. Little fine tuning?
                    I'd love for the Raps to get this kid but at what cost? Amir straight up?
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Haha, yeah. In fairness I do ask myself that question most times I watch him play. He can pass..........when he wants to.

As for Deng, No thanks

Comment

He's a pretty good playmaker. He can pass. He also has physical gifts. Defense/shooting is something that can be worked on.

He's pretty misunderstood by fans, IMO. People don't like his character so they rush to criticize his character and decision making. And there are some problems there, but much bigger problems are simple basketball mechanics. Something that can be taught.

Anyway, in case there's confusion (and there is, judging by WTF and ahahaha replies), we were talking if Hollins could help him, and can Jennings make plays for that team. No one said he's a great player. Read the thread, people.

Comment

This Jennings fellow sounds a lot like A certain Raptor PG when he first came into the league.

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
                            As a defensive pairing, there isn't enough quickness, and monroe is just bad at it. As a offensive pairing, they operate in the same area which means less space in the lane, which isn't a good idea when our all-star's best skill is driving.

Monroe+JV is not a good fit. Going for talent not fit is The exact reason that detroit is in this mess. We don't need monroe
                            Then why the hell are we even thinking of K Love?
                            Yes, he would give you more points, a lot more $$ and a lot more assets to acquire.

Comment

Yes, he would give you more points, a lot more $$ and a lot more assets to acquire.
                              Personally I don't think we should go after him unless it's something like ross, amir and a 1st- I don't think we should give MIN the king's ransom.

But wanting Love instead of Monroe makes sense- Better player, gobbles up boards, and he's an offensive force who can hit from anywhere and everywhere. Lowry+Love+DD would be a pretty lethal combo
                              @Boymusic66

Comment

Well, offensively it's an awesome fit. Defensively Love is more mobile than Monroe, although he's a bit too focused on rebounding at the cost of defense. In other words, you'd have to hope that Jonas develops into a true anchor / good defender at some point, but offensively it would be a massive improvement and a great fit right away.

Jonas-Monroe on the other hand don't fit on both ends. Monroe can't shoot and his high post play is still a mixed bag. If the team signs Monroe, I hope they are simply looking at it as an asset move (i.e. wait for further trades), and don't get too stubborn about making it work.

I don't think that Ujiri would target Monroe, though. He would have to cut and stretch Fields/Hayes (or let Lowry go) just to make an offer to Monroe. And then he won't know if Detroit would match or not. If they match, then you've just stretched contracts for no reason and now you are stuck with them for extra two years.

The Raptors cap situation makes going after restricted free agents a mess.

Comment

Working...
                                X