Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Rumours

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shrub wrote: View Post
    That's a good point, but I would say that factoring in all of the above, it's not a stretch to say he's in that league (10 million a year, with Lawson and Holiday).
    I would say the issue with Lowry is more the risk (injury, contract year) than the ability.
    Though older, he's been playing much better than those guys, and having a bigger impact on team success.
    I would argue that they are overpaid as well, but that's the market.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he gets when the dust settles, but I don't expect he'll get it from us.
    It's definitely not a stretch, but as you say, there are minor negatives against him. I mean, Lawson is a year younger and has had more success. Holiday's value may have been inflated by his all-star selection...but he's younger, bigger, quite strong defensively, and has been solid enough offensively for such a young player.

I wouldn't be shocked if Lowry got 10+ million....but I hope it's not from us, and I'm not sure it's a wise investment for any team. It's just such a deep position, with many teams pretty set, and few teams having the need and capspace.

*Also have to include that Lowry has butted heads with people before. Reputation could matter too. Lawson and Holiday have both had pretty good reputations in that sense.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

From the TRex link:

Lowry has been targeted enough in trade talks, by everyone from New York to Golden State, that someone's going to shell out for him. Even if they had to trade to make room for him, Lowry's going to a hot commodity. He's a bulldog defender, tough, strong, quick and has improved his shooting. His leadership in Toronto has shown through and despite being a monster pain in the backside for his coaches and more than a handful with the media, his play on court is what counts, and it counts for a lot.

Which, again, makes it weird that Toronto's not going to trade him. He holds so much value and teams want him now. I know the recent winning by Toronto is nice and all, but they're not actually going anywhere. Why waste the potetial windfall from a deal just so you can get obliterated in the second round?

Or maybe they'll make a magical run to the championship and there will be movies made about them and they'll have to get a huge star to play Kyle Lowry. Anyway, Lowry's averaging 16.6 points, 4.4 rebounds and 7.4 assists per game this season for Toronto.
    I take issue with this.

Yes Lowry has been targeted in trade talks reportedly but the reported returns are awful outside of future picks. Why would the Raptors take on the likes of Felton or MWP? Felton is wasted money for 2 more seasons and MWP possibly for 1. Why wouldn't Raptors play out year with a ?

If the first sentence is true, why wouldn't Raps wait until Golden State is willing to include Barnes in a sign and trade or whatever/whoever else? Why is it weird that management, in a season with opportunity to tank long gone, want to be as competitive as possible? Wouldn't the Raptors having a strong season and possible 2nd round playoff push (or who knows!!?!?!) make Lowry more attractive to teams (and other Raptor players too?).

Obviously the bold is an incomplete sentence. "He holds so much value and teams want him now" (Matt52 addition) but they are not willing to offer anything near fair value or anything Raptors management feels is beneficial this year or beyond relative to his worth for the remainder of this season.

Teams with cap space are going to be at Raptors mercy with Lowry anyways because he is unrestricted. But by keeping him the Raptors will be in the driver seat for any team Lowry wants to play for and team is reciprocal with interest but is over the cap.

I get what Matt Moore is saying but I can't believe a guy with his history is writing that jib jab without an agent in his ear. Too one sided, too simplistic.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

3. Like Mapko, Axel, octothorp, Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I've been trying to stay away from this line of thinking and just enjoy the good ball and upcoming playoff run. But at the same time I've been thinking about the Raps beyond this year (and refraining from posting those thoughts here) and I keep coming back to DD being the key trade chip if a roster shake up via trade is to happen.

I'm seeking the "He's our guy" confirmation from Casey. Whenever Casey anoints someone 'our guy' they are traded (see: Bargnani, Andrea and Gay, Rudy).
    No one is untouchable for the right price but realistically Raps will not get offer for DD that they is what raptors fans' and management feel he is worth. Then again if Phoenix offered three first rounders for DD you never know.

Raptors Republic Starter Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt52

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I can't edit on the mobile site and I can't access the desktop site from mobile.

What I was going to ask is, how are teams with cap space at the Raps' mercy when it comes to Lowry? Don't we have little to no leverage whatsoever this summer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    No one is untouchable for the right price but realistically Raps will not get offer for DD that they is what raptors fans' and management feel he is worth. Then again if Phoenix offered three first rounders for DD you never know.
    I don't think you get the right price before the trade deadline - for DD or whoever.

After the trade deadline, asking price might go down or offers might come up.... who knows?
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Sorry I can't edit on the mobile site and I can't access the desktop site from mobile.

What I was going to ask is, how are teams with cap space at the Raps' mercy when it comes to Lowry? Don't we have little to no leverage whatsoever this summer?
    Only leverage Toronto will have is ability to offer a 5th year and 7.5 vs 4.5 raises.

If Raps aren't offering that 5th year (btw, I wouldn't) or Raps offer $8M and another team is offering $9.5M.....

Lowry is going to be top PG available in a year with a lot of cap space among teams.
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Moore states that 'NBA.com reports that ... the Raptors ... are certain ... they're not going to shell out for him (Lowry) in the summer.' Really, this is not at all what the original article is saying, which is David Aldridge speculating that the Raptors don't want to give him a big contract (a reasonable speculation, I'm sure they'd love to get him for $8 million a season). But Aldridge does not say at any point that the Raptors will not give him a significant contract if that's what the market dictates. I think it's likely that both the Raptors and Lowry are willing to see what the market dictates for his services, and then go from there, which is essentially what I got from Aldridge's piece. No idea how Moore makes the leaps he does from it.
    tank-agnostic

10. Like Mapko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only leverage Toronto will have is ability to offer a 5th year and 7.5 vs 4.5 raises.

If Raps aren't offering that 5th year (btw, I wouldn't) or Raps offer $8M and another team is offering $9.5M.....

Lowry is going to be top PG available in a year with a lot of cap space among teams.
    So we are at the mercy of other teams, right?

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The only teams I can see that could and would make Lowry an offer in the $9M range are us, LAL, and Orlando. LA still has to pay Nash at PG and Orlando will have to at least partially pay Jameer Nelson, so even those two teams aren't perfect fits like we are. There's a decent chance both LA and Orlando take a PG in the 1st round, so I'd say it will most likely be us and one more suitor. I feel pretty confident we'll be able to resign Lowry for around $8-9M per year. I just don't think the market for him will be that great, and I think Masai can convince him to stay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    So we are at the mercy of other teams, right?
    Sorry, raps are at mercy of teams below and leverage with teams above salary cap
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, raps are at mercy of teams below and leverage with teams above salary cap
    Don't forget that Lowry is also at the mercy of the market. Not a lot of teams with cap space and looking for a starting PG.

Looking at who's got space, I think it's safe to scratch off teams like Philly (MCW), Dallas (Jose & Ellis), Suns (Bledose & Dragic), Utah (Burke and rebuilding), and it's unlikely that teams are going to ditch their younger PGs for Lowry (teams like Charlotte - Walker, Cleveland - Irving).

I put the list of suitors for Lowry as follows:
    Lakers - even if they draft Exum, they may want to bring in a vet although Exum wants to start from day 1
    Orlando - depending on who they draft and how quickly they want to rebuild. Already have a nice core and Lowry would make them better
    Detroit - cause who knows what's going on there

Then the S&T option of New York. That's a total of 4 teams plus the Raps. I'd put the Lakers interest at 50/50 depending on the draft. Even Orlando, and Detroit are unknown interest. That leaves the Knicks and Raps as the only "for sure" interested teams.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard some Brandon Bass rumours.. I think he'd be better to have off the bench by Hayes, actually has a nice outside game, and nice touch.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a rumour, but any thoughts on a Lowry for Isaah Thomas swap? Lowry is hands down the better player, but Thomas is pretty good already, younger and cheaper as well.

Raptors Republic Starter e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Orlando gets Embiid with their pick and Ennis with the 12th (if he's there). That's a great lineup for a rebuild. And hopefully no need for Lowry then
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Not a rumour, but any thoughts on a Lowry for Isaah Thomas swap? Lowry is hands down the better player, but Thomas is pretty good already, younger and cheaper as well.
    Not sure if that would work per the CBA unless other parts are included. IF gay opts out, then it might be possible to do it as a S&T while Gay's deal is off the books.

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    I think Orlando gets Embiid with their pick and Ennis with the 12th (if he's there). That's a great lineup for a rebuild. And hopefully no need for Lowry then
    I don't think so, they already have Vucevic who is highly rated. I've always heard they were more looking PG or PF.

Raptors Republic Starter e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trade Rumours

Quote BigCamB wrote: View Post
    I don't think so, they already have Vucevic who is highly rated. I've always heard they were more looking PG or PF.
    And what're they gonna do with Harris?
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote BigCamB wrote: View Post
    I think Orlando goes BPA. They'd probably love to have with Parker/Randle or Exum/Smart. If they draft Randle, then signing KL would make them a very dangerous team.

22. Like BigCamB liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ujiri should be thinking long term but considering the good play-off possibility, it's highly unlikely he'll change much. For a good return the only starter who could be moved is Amir IMO. PP and Salmons are almost sure to stay for the remainder of the season, so Gravis could be the major bench player to be moved.

So to package the others in Novak, Hayes etc along with Amir or Gravis will be difficult 'cause neither Amir nor Gravis are exactly 'earth shattering' players.

I'm pretty sure a couple of changes will be made but nothing major.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

24. Like Mapko liked this post
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information