Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 65 of 65

Thread: Draft Burn-Out - Is Boeheim right about 1st rounders?

  1. #61
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,601
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    This is a good point, but to play devil's advocate, the amount of practice time in the NBA is far, far less than in the NCAA. In college, team's are holding practices every day. They're developing skills, working on technical foundations, etc. In the NBA, players are essentially given game time to develop their skills. The very limited amount of practice time is generally used to run sets and go over schemes.
    But to counter, the NBA season is longer, teams are more involved in everything (diet, etc) and the NBA resources are generally un-matched by college programs. An NBA team can invest an assistant to spend an entire year with a young player, plust vet mentors, while college can't.

  2. #62
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    But to counter, the NBA season is longer, teams are more involved in everything (diet, etc) and the NBA resources are generally un-matched by college programs. An NBA team can invest an assistant to spend an entire year with a young player, plust vet mentors, while college can't.
    Gonzaga did that exactly with Kelly Olynyk during his redshirt year working on Kelly's strength, flexibility, and coordination with strength coach Travis Knight (same name but not the former Raptor).

    Big time NCAA programs have resources, remember that they have great revenue that they don't have to share with players.

  3. #63
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,601
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Gonzaga did that exactly with Kelly Olynyk during his redshirt year working on Kelly's strength, flexibility, and coordination with strength coach Travis Knight (same name but not the former Raptor).

    Big time NCAA programs have resources, remember that they have great revenue that they don't have to share with players.
    True but how many programs can do it and how many would guarantee it? Of the select colleges that have the resources (most pocket those profits or spread it throughout the school), how many would invest that much time and money? I'd wager it's a smaller percentage than that of NBA teams. NBA team revenue is solely tied to basketball so they re-invest into basketball. Colleges have multiple interested on how to re-invest the money into their school.

  4. #64
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    True but how many programs can do it and how many would guarantee it? Of the select colleges that have the resources (most pocket those profits or spread it throughout the school), how many would invest that much time and money? I'd wager it's a smaller percentage than that of NBA teams. NBA team revenue is solely tied to basketball so they re-invest into basketball. Colleges have multiple interested on how to re-invest the money into their school.
    Actually, you'd be shocked to see what kind of training facilities D1 schools have. It's night and day compared to varsity programs in Canada.

  5. #65
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,601
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    Actually, you'd be shocked to see what kind of training facilities D1 schools have. It's night and day compared to varsity programs in Canada.
    I know that many D1 schools have great facilities, but my point is, college's have much more competing interests (academic upgrades, other varsity sports for both men and women, infrastructure costs to build and maintain all campus facilities). NBA teams have a sole interest in basketball and often use leased arenas (thus don't have the same capital costs for infrastructure).

    It just seems more likely that the average NBA team would be able to provide more than the average college team. I'm sure there are exceptions that work in the favor of college, say Duke vs the Milwaukee Bucks; but the average college program wouldn't be able to compete with the average NBA franchise.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •