Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Lowry to the Knicks again?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    This is Jim, not Jerry Buss we're talking about here

I'm not sure the Lakers dynasty is gonna be able to keep up it's winning ways.
    They wil just sign a bunch of free agents and try for the playoffs again

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, if the Lakers can sign-and-trade for Lowry with us, then they'd have to consider it. Nash + their first-rounder is probably what makes it happen (maybe they throw in a second-rounder too). But say they offer Lowry $14m; that means in 2015 they're set up perfectly when they pursue Kevin Love (almost certain to happen) and Russell Westbrook (potentially likely) because Lowry becomes a potential sign-and-trade chip. Westbrook wants a sign-and-trade to LA? The Lakers send Lowry to OKC. Or maybe they just keep Lowry because he's cheaper, have a Big Three of Love/Kobe/Lowry for about $55m in 2015, then fill it out with roleplayers that fit D'Antoni's system for a year and then in 2016 Kobe either retires or his salary drops down to the $8m mark and they go after Durant.

As for us, if Lowry decides he wants to go to LA, Masai will make it happen because GMs have to make reasonable efforts to assist with sign-and-trades, that's just how league politics work. Besides, if Nash comes here, he almost certainly retires immediately because his priority is staying in LA near his kids; he gave up a lot of money in 2012 to do that.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    Honestly, if the Lakers can sign-and-trade for Lowry with us, then they'd have to consider it. Nash + their first-rounder is probably what makes it happen (maybe they throw in a second-rounder too). But say they offer Lowry $14m; that means in 2015 they're set up perfectly when they pursue Kevin Love (almost certain to happen) and Russell Westbrook (potentially likely) because Lowry becomes a potential sign-and-trade chip. Westbrook wants a sign-and-trade to LA? The Lakers send Lowry to OKC. Or maybe they just keep Lowry because he's cheaper, have a Big Three of Love/Kobe/Lowry for about $55m in 2015, then fill it out with roleplayers that fit D'Antoni's system for a year and then in 2016 Kobe either retires or his salary drops down to the $8m mark and they go after Durant.

As for us, if Lowry decides he wants to go to LA, Masai will make it happen because GMs have to make reasonable efforts to assist with sign-and-trades, that's just how league politics work. Besides, if Nash comes here, he almost certainly retires immediately because his priority is staying in LA near his kids; he gave up a lot of money in 2012 to do that.
    If LA is gonna offer $14M per to Lowry, then there is absolutely no reason to trade for him. They can offer that in the offseason and MU will likely say thank you to Lowry, and good luck in LA. Having Nash still on the books next season will not affect their ability to go after Love or Westbrook.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    If LA is gonna offer $14M per to Lowry, then there is absolutely no reason to trade for him.
    Um, I was talking about a sign-and-trade, not a trade. E.g. the offseason.

More to the point, though, LA really can't offer Lowry big money unless they ditch Nash' contract because they don't have the cap space. Nash, Kobe, and $14m for Lowry is over fifty million and they still have to pay twelve other players for at least a year. Ditch Nash, and the Lakers can use that money for Pau on the cheap ($6-8m) or something similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    Um, I was talking about a sign-and-trade, not a trade. E.g. the offseason.

More to the point, though, LA really can't offer Lowry big money unless they ditch Nash' contract because they don't have the cap space. Nash, Kobe, and $14m for Lowry is over fifty million and they still have to pay twelve other players for at least a year. Ditch Nash, and the Lakers can use that money for Pau on the cheap ($6-8m) or something similar.
    They only have $36M on the books next year, so they have plenty of room to offer Lowry that.

See:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/LAL.html

S&T or trade, it doesn't matter, Lowry is a FA, they can offer what they want without giving up anything. And if they are willing to pay $12M + per year, MU isn't gonna match. The only way Nash's contract really hurts LA, is if they want to go after a guy like Lowry and a guy like Monroe, which they may still be able to do but would find it difficult to fill out the roster later. And they won't do that if they want Love.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question: Why would the Lakers want Lowry when they basically have Exum at their fingertips? I can't comprehend.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

7. Like JawsGT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Question: Why would the Lakers want Lowry when they basically have Exum at their fingertips? I can't comprehend.
    I agree. I think fans are leaning on this as it's really the only way the Raps can get a decent pick this offseason. If the Lakers wanna do it, then ya for sure you gotta make that trade. But I just don't see it happening, as it makes little sense for LA.

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I think fans are leaning on this as it's really the only way the Raps can get a decent pick this offseason. If the Lakers wanna do it, then ya for sure you gotta make that trade. But I just don't see it happening, as it makes little sense for LA.
    Of course, it depends on where the pick falls.

If LA is top 6, they get one of the highly touted recruits.

If the pick is at #8, it isn't a sure thing anymore.

LaVine, Saric,Vonleh, Harris. Are those necessarily guys that LA considers can't miss?

10. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As has been stated already in this thread: will the Lakers have the patience to develop somebody? Exum is a mystery, but given his experience is pretty far from NBA level competition, it's fairly likely he needs a couple of years to adjust. LA is always in win-now mode, and building around an aging Kobe and developing draft pick if not a win-now strategy.

It's not that LA hates developing young players, it's that they've always reached for on-court success. Even when they traded for Kobe, they had a solid team for him to develop within. They've only missed the playoffs twice since 1976, and they weren't two misses in a row.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, this is kind of how I see it. Even the Lakers may not be willing to pass up on one of the top 5-6 players in this year's draft....but after that? Things could be very much up in the air.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure most here recognize it is shooting the shit at its finest.

As I stated in a post this is all beyond speculative opinion until at the very least May 20th when it is seen where ping pong balls land for teams.

Creating a trade for a top 5 pick is a lot different than an 8/9/10 pick.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

14. Like isaacthompson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is hardly the only way for the Raps to get a decent pick.

There is also DeMar, Ross, cap space, cap friend contracts, their own picks - on their own or packaged.

There are going to be teams with top 10 picks who have been down the drafting road a lot in recent years with little to show for it (Here is looking at you Charlotte, Cleveland, and Minnesota).

Raptors are going to be an exciting team to watch this off season. Lots of flexibility and assets to work with.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

16. Like Puffer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LaVine, Saric,Vonleh, Harris. Are those necessarily guys that LA considers can't miss?
    They are currently 4th in the tank standings. Only Bucks, Sixers, Magic ahead of them.

Just an eye test but perusing their remaining games, it seems like they have a relatively tough schedule from here on out. Not to mention they've lost to some pretty bad teams over the past month or so.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    As has been stated already in this thread: will the Lakers have the patience to develop somebody? Exum is a mystery, but given his experience is pretty far from NBA level competition, it's fairly likely he needs a couple of years to adjust. LA is always in win-now mode, and building around an aging Kobe and developing draft pick if not a win-now strategy.

It's not that LA hates developing young players, it's that they've always reached for on-court success. Even when they traded for Kobe, they had a solid team for him to develop within. They've only missed the playoffs twice since 1976, and they weren't two misses in a row.
    I agree re: always being in win-now mode, but I think this is a special case. Exum has really only expressed interest in the team because he'll be able to contribute right from the get-go, kind of like what's happening with MCW in Philly. I think LA is salivating at the idea of an expedited development.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They are currently 4th in the tank standings. Only Bucks, Sixers, Magic ahead of them.

Just an eye test but perusing their remaining games, it seems like they have a relatively tough schedule from here on out. Not to mention they've lost to some pretty bad teams over the past month or so.
    Absolutely. I'm just shooting the shit. There's no trade to be made if they can pick that high.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree re: always being in win-now mode, but I think this is a special case. Exum has really only expressed interest in the team because he'll be able to contribute right from the get-go, kind of like what's happening with MCW in Philly. I think LA is salivating at the idea of an expedited development.
    Frankly I don't think anyone can be sure Exum is ready to contribute right away. I'm sure most high picks feel they're ready, but it's up to management to really determine that. Scouts also always see promise more than anything else. So again, management has to really be sold on a guy as ready to contribute.

If LA ends up top 3, I can't see them trading their pick, and I see them taking one of Embiid, Wiggins or Parker. The first 2 would be projects, but guys they know could big difference makers, possibly franchise horses for the future. Parker may be, but he's also easily up there with Randle as the 2 guys most obviously ready for the transition. He'd fit beside Kobe, and he'd fit beside Love (just like Embiid and Wiggins though they may not produce as much right away).

After that?
    -I have a hard time seeing them being drooling over Randle when everyone knows they have an easy shot at Love pretty soon. They could take him, but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't that interested.
    -Exum is often the next highly-touted talent. I definitely see the intrigue, but he may be the biggest project in the top 5 (may be....also could be Embiid or Wiggins). He's got very limited experience against top competition in even his own age bracket. He has positional uncertainty...I mean, what if he's unable to play PG in the NBA, perhaps being just a bit too slow or just not fitting there? Then you draft someone who ends up a SG (with combo-guard skills) and is stuck behind Kobe, because we know Kobe's not giving up his starting spot.
    -And then will they want less obvious talents like Smart, Gordon, Vonleh, Ennis, etc....? Guys who may not be franchise players and who may need development time? Rather than trade the pick for an in-his-prime two-way PG who won't handicap their ability to pursue Love or other future free agents?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Frankly I don't think anyone can be sure Exum is ready to contribute right away. I'm sure most high picks feel they're ready, but it's up to management to really determine that. Scouts also always see promise more than anything else. So again, management has to really be sold on a guy as ready to contribute.

If LA ends up top 3, I can't see them trading their pick, and I see them taking one of Embiid, Wiggins or Parker. The first 2 would be projects, but guys they know could big difference makers, possibly franchise horses for the future. Parker may be, but he's also easily up there with Randle as the 2 guys most obviously ready for the transition. He'd fit beside Kobe, and he'd fit beside Love (just like Embiid and Wiggins though they may not produce as much right away).

After that?
    -I have a hard time seeing them being drooling over Randle when everyone knows they have an easy shot at Love pretty soon. They could take him, but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't that interested.
    -Exum is often the next highly-touted talent. I definitely see the intrigue, but he may be the biggest project in the top 5 (may be....also could be Embiid or Wiggins). He's got very limited experience against top competition in even his own age bracket. He has positional uncertainty...I mean, what if he's unable to play PG in the NBA, perhaps being just a bit too slow or just not fitting there? Then you draft someone who ends up a SG (with combo-guard skills) and is stuck behind Kobe, because we know Kobe's not giving up his starting spot.
    -And then will they want less obvious talents like Smart, Gordon, Vonleh, Ennis, etc....? Guys who may not be franchise players and who may need development time? Rather than trade the pick for an in-his-prime two-way PG who won't handicap their ability to pursue Love or other future free agents?
    ^^ exactly L.A is more likely to trade their pick if its not like top5

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

seriously?

Lakers would trade a top 8 lottery pick this year for what could easily be a 2 month rental of Lowry? And people mock Knick fans for impossible fantasy trade scenarios, lol.

Some actually think we could trade Kyle, then he'd come back and sign as a FA in the summer? lol

BTW, has anybody read Doug Smith's (I know, bad word here, but he actually talks to these guys) piece, with more to follow on Monday, about his interview with Masai? MU states that the biggest thing he covets in building the team is chemistry, and he's very impressed with the chemistry he's seeing with this team, and can see building upon it.

Let me see:
    - we have 27 year old PG Lowry playing at an all star level, along with 24 yr old DeMar, and by all appearances, they're as tight as two players can be
    - Lowry now has 2 years of working with all the key players on this team: DeMar, Amir, JV, Ross, and is integral to the team's current success, as well as future success with this group
    - anybody see the NBA.com piece on DeMar in the MVP ladder? Ross is quoted: "Our whole locker room is tight like that, we play for each other and it's not about any one player or anything like that, but it's good to see DeMar make it here. It tells you what hard work can do." 1. In all the chatter about shot selections, something that can be altered by a number of factors, how does that example of hard work resonate with the young guys, Ross & JV, and how valuable is it to their progress? This young all star of ours should not be devalued like he too often is, over effing shot selection. 2. What message would it send to DeMar, the young pups, and the rest of the team, if Lowry were shipped out for a draft pick? Seriously

23. Like TRex liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cause their window isn't open long enough to wait for an Exum or whomever to develop.

Post Thanks / Like

And if your rebuttal is "lol the lakers would never do that" just take a look at their history. Go on. Do it.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information