Lowry to the Knicks again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Question: Why would the Lakers want Lowry when they basically have Exum at their fingertips? I can't comprehend.
    Pretty sure most here recognize it is shooting the shit at its finest.

As I stated in a post this is all beyond speculative opinion until at the very least May 20th when it is seen where ping pong balls land for teams.

Creating a trade for a top 5 pick is a lot different than an 8/9/10 pick.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
      I agree. I think fans are leaning on this as it's really the only way the Raps can get a decent pick this offseason. If the Lakers wanna do it, then ya for sure you gotta make that trade. But I just don't see it happening, as it makes little sense for LA.
      It is hardly the only way for the Raps to get a decent pick.

There is also DeMar, Ross, cap space, cap friend contracts, their own picks - on their own or packaged.

There are going to be teams with top 10 picks who have been down the drafting road a lot in recent years with little to show for it (Here is looking at you Charlotte, Cleveland, and Minnesota).

Raptors are going to be an exciting team to watch this off season. Lots of flexibility and assets to work with.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
        Of course, it depends on where the pick falls.

If LA is top 6, they get one of the highly touted recruits.

If the pick is at #8, it isn't a sure thing anymore.

LaVine, Saric,Vonleh, Harris. Are those necessarily guys that LA considers can't miss?
        They are currently 4th in the tank standings. Only Bucks, Sixers, Magic ahead of them.

Just an eye test but perusing their remaining games, it seems like they have a relatively tough schedule from here on out. Not to mention they've lost to some pretty bad teams over the past month or so.
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          As has been stated already in this thread: will the Lakers have the patience to develop somebody? Exum is a mystery, but given his experience is pretty far from NBA level competition, it's fairly likely he needs a couple of years to adjust. LA is always in win-now mode, and building around an aging Kobe and developing draft pick if not a win-now strategy.

It's not that LA hates developing young players, it's that they've always reached for on-court success. Even when they traded for Kobe, they had a solid team for him to develop within. They've only missed the playoffs twice since 1976, and they weren't two misses in a row.
          I agree re: always being in win-now mode, but I think this is a special case. Exum has really only expressed interest in the team because he'll be able to contribute right from the get-go, kind of like what's happening with MCW in Philly. I think LA is salivating at the idea of an expedited development.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

They are currently 4th in the tank standings. Only Bucks, Sixers, Magic ahead of them.

Just an eye test but perusing their remaining games, it seems like they have a relatively tough schedule from here on out. Not to mention they've lost to some pretty bad teams over the past month or so.
            Absolutely. I'm just shooting the shit. There's no trade to be made if they can pick that high.
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I agree re: always being in win-now mode, but I think this is a special case. Exum has really only expressed interest in the team because he'll be able to contribute right from the get-go, kind of like what's happening with MCW in Philly. I think LA is salivating at the idea of an expedited development.
              Frankly I don't think anyone can be sure Exum is ready to contribute right away. I'm sure most high picks feel they're ready, but it's up to management to really determine that. Scouts also always see promise more than anything else. So again, management has to really be sold on a guy as ready to contribute.

If LA ends up top 3, I can't see them trading their pick, and I see them taking one of Embiid, Wiggins or Parker. The first 2 would be projects, but guys they know could big difference makers, possibly franchise horses for the future. Parker may be, but he's also easily up there with Randle as the 2 guys most obviously ready for the transition. He'd fit beside Kobe, and he'd fit beside Love (just like Embiid and Wiggins though they may not produce as much right away).

After that?
              -I have a hard time seeing them being drooling over Randle when everyone knows they have an easy shot at Love pretty soon. They could take him, but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't that interested.
              -Exum is often the next highly-touted talent. I definitely see the intrigue, but he may be the biggest project in the top 5 (may be....also could be Embiid or Wiggins). He's got very limited experience against top competition in even his own age bracket. He has positional uncertainty...I mean, what if he's unable to play PG in the NBA, perhaps being just a bit too slow or just not fitting there? Then you draft someone who ends up a SG (with combo-guard skills) and is stuck behind Kobe, because we know Kobe's not giving up his starting spot.
              -And then will they want less obvious talents like Smart, Gordon, Vonleh, Ennis, etc....? Guys who may not be franchise players and who may need development time? Rather than trade the pick for an in-his-prime two-way PG who won't handicap their ability to pursue Love or other future free agents?

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Frankly I don't think anyone can be sure Exum is ready to contribute right away. I'm sure most high picks feel they're ready, but it's up to management to really determine that. Scouts also always see promise more than anything else. So again, management has to really be sold on a guy as ready to contribute.

If LA ends up top 3, I can't see them trading their pick, and I see them taking one of Embiid, Wiggins or Parker. The first 2 would be projects, but guys they know could big difference makers, possibly franchise horses for the future. Parker may be, but he's also easily up there with Randle as the 2 guys most obviously ready for the transition. He'd fit beside Kobe, and he'd fit beside Love (just like Embiid and Wiggins though they may not produce as much right away).

After that?
                -I have a hard time seeing them being drooling over Randle when everyone knows they have an easy shot at Love pretty soon. They could take him, but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't that interested.
                -Exum is often the next highly-touted talent. I definitely see the intrigue, but he may be the biggest project in the top 5 (may be....also could be Embiid or Wiggins). He's got very limited experience against top competition in even his own age bracket. He has positional uncertainty...I mean, what if he's unable to play PG in the NBA, perhaps being just a bit too slow or just not fitting there? Then you draft someone who ends up a SG (with combo-guard skills) and is stuck behind Kobe, because we know Kobe's not giving up his starting spot.
                -And then will they want less obvious talents like Smart, Gordon, Vonleh, Ennis, etc....? Guys who may not be franchise players and who may need development time? Rather than trade the pick for an in-his-prime two-way PG who won't handicap their ability to pursue Love or other future free agents?
                ^^ exactly L.A is more likely to trade their pick if its not like top5
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

seriously?

Lakers would trade a top 8 lottery pick this year for what could easily be a 2 month rental of Lowry? And people mock Knick fans for impossible fantasy trade scenarios, lol.

Some actually think we could trade Kyle, then he'd come back and sign as a FA in the summer? lol

BTW, has anybody read Doug Smith's (I know, bad word here, but he actually talks to these guys) piece, with more to follow on Monday, about his interview with Masai? MU states that the biggest thing he covets in building the team is chemistry, and he's very impressed with the chemistry he's seeing with this team, and can see building upon it.

Let me see:
                  - we have 27 year old PG Lowry playing at an all star level, along with 24 yr old DeMar, and by all appearances, they're as tight as two players can be
                  - Lowry now has 2 years of working with all the key players on this team: DeMar, Amir, JV, Ross, and is integral to the team's current success, as well as future success with this group
                  - anybody see the NBA.com piece on DeMar in the MVP ladder? Ross is quoted: "Our whole locker room is tight like that, we play for each other and it's not about any one player or anything like that, but it's good to see DeMar make it here. It tells you what hard work can do." 1. In all the chatter about shot selections, something that can be altered by a number of factors, how does that example of hard work resonate with the young guys, Ross & JV, and how valuable is it to their progress? This young all star of ours should not be devalued like he too often is, over effing shot selection. 2. What message would it send to DeMar, the young pups, and the rest of the team, if Lowry were shipped out for a draft pick? Seriously

Comment

Question: Why would the Lakers want Lowry when they basically have Exum at their fingertips? I can't comprehend.
                    Cause their window isn't open long enough to wait for an Exum or whomever to develop.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• And if your rebuttal is "lol the lakers would never do that" just take a look at their history. Go on. Do it.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                        Cause their window isn't open long enough to wait for an Exum or whomever to develop.
                        I really don't agree with this. The Lakers do not have alot of players on the books next season, and if they want the opportunity to compete for Love, James, Westbrook, Durant etc etc, then they have to maintain financial flexibility. So, I expect them to comb the FA market and pick up guys on cheaper, shorter contracts (preferably 1 year) and have alot of guys expiring at the end of the season just like they did this year. If they do this, contention is out of the question next year, and a good 2014 draft pick can fit in nicely. Give the guy a year next to Kobe, then they go get Love and another piece or two, and maybe, just maybe, they can contend in the picks sophomore year and possibly Kobe's last. Also, when Kobe retires, that player from the 2014 draft is still there to help keep the team afloat with whoever else they pick up, and they can keep rolling along.

I just don't see how they could possibly contend next season. To go from top 10 lottery team to contender would be quite the feat, even for the Lakers. Plus, they could probably get much better than Lowry out of that pick, but we'll see. It is the Lakers and they might just try anything.

Comment

• Couldn't the Lakers trade their first rounder and some expiring contracts for say Tyson Chandler? That would be enough to contend with a healthy Kobe and Gasol. They could even throw in Gasol to add Melo to the deal if he indicates he wants out of New York. Not saying its a good idea to pair up Kobe and Melo, but just think their first rounder can help them contend next season if used to bring in the right pieces around Kobe.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                            Couldn't the Lakers trade their first rounder and some expiring contracts for say Tyson Chandler? That would be enough to contend with a healthy Kobe and Gasol. They could even throw in Gasol to add Melo to the deal if he indicates he wants out of New York. Not saying its a good idea to pair up Kobe and Melo, but just think their first rounder can help them contend next season if used to bring in the right pieces around Kobe.
                            I disagree in the sense that the young Kobe has always carried the ball. Old Kobe can't do that anymore and Lowry being a shoot-first guard is perfect for the role, moreso than Chandler can on defence. I'm happy with Lowry if he resigns but if he chooses to be elsewhere, this is still the best way to maximize returns on him. Just my 2 cents.
                            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• salmon wrote: View Post
                              seriously?

Lakers would trade a top 8 lottery pick this year for what could easily be a 2 month rental of Lowry?
                              And people mock Knick fans for impossible fantasy trade scenarios, lol.

Some actually think we could trade Kyle, then he'd come back and sign as a FA in the summer? lol

BTW, has anybody read Doug Smith's (I know, bad word here, but he actually talks to these guys) piece, with more to follow on Monday, about his interview with Masai? MU states that the biggest thing he covets in building the team is chemistry, and he's very impressed with the chemistry he's seeing with this team, and can see building upon it.

Let me see:
                              - we have 27 year old PG Lowry playing at an all star level, along with 24 yr old DeMar, and by all appearances, they're as tight as two players can be
                              - Lowry now has 2 years of working with all the key players on this team: DeMar, Amir, JV, Ross, and is integral to the team's current success, as well as future success with this group
                              - anybody see the NBA.com piece on DeMar in the MVP ladder? Ross is quoted: "Our whole locker room is tight like that, we play for each other and it's not about any one player or anything like that, but it's good to see DeMar make it here. It tells you what hard work can do." 1. In all the chatter about shot selections, something that can be altered by a number of factors, how does that example of hard work resonate with the young guys, Ross & JV, and how valuable is it to their progress? This young all star of ours should not be devalued like he too often is, over effing shot selection. 2. What message would it send to DeMar, the young pups, and the rest of the team, if Lowry were shipped out for a draft pick? Seriously
                              Well clearly you haven't been properly reading most of the Lakers' related ideas. They are pretty much all referencing draft day trades. So this is a scenario where the Raps probably don't want to pay Lowry's possibly high pricetag, and want to benefit from his departure. Try again, p00ka.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                                Well clearly you haven't been properly reading most of the Lakers' related ideas. They are pretty much all referencing draft day trades. So this is a scenario where the Raps probably don't want to pay Lowry's possibly high pricetag, and want to benefit from his departure. Try again, p00ka.
                                Don't know what to say about the name confusion, but your argument is draft day trades? So, the Lakers would give up their high pick for a guy who can't be signed until July, and he could walk after never playing a single game for them. Gotcha. Damn, sorry I "clearly missed" that one, but how does such a thing fit with what I mentioned about MU's very recently stated priority of "chemistry", and what such a trade would do to this team?
                                Last edited by salmon; Sat Feb 15, 2014, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X