Lowry to the Knicks again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salmon wrote: View Post
    Don't know what to say about the name confusion, but your argument is draft day trades? So, the Lakers would give up their high pick for a guy who can't be signed until July, and he could walk after never playing a single game for them. Gotcha. Damn, sorry I "clearly missed" that one.
    Many trades are agreed upon before transactions can be formally completed. You know, like the JO trade. That "happened" on draft night and wasn't completed for 2 weeks. The only real catch in this scenario would be that Lowry is a free agent, but they can still have discussions on a sign-and-trade. LA can call Toronto and be like "we want Lowry, this is what we're prepared to pay him, and this is what we'd offer in a sign-and-trade". And Toronto can then take that to Lowry, and if he wants the deal to happen, it can happen. I don't think that violates any rules of any kind.

*It's obviously not an easy situation any way you slice it. But it's not impossible by any means either. The Lakers basically would have to be crazy about Lowry, and want to engage in such a scenario, being the initiators, likely wanting to preempt any other teams who might be interested, and especially if they'd want to offer him a 5-year deal.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Feb 15, 2014, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      Many trades are agreed upon before transactions can be formally completed. You know, like the JO trade. That "happened" on draft night and wasn't completed for 2 weeks. The only real catch in this scenario would be that Lowry is a free agent, but they can still have discussions on a sign-and-trade. LA can call Toronto and be like "we want Lowry, this is what we're prepared to pay him, and this is what we'd offer in a sign-and-trade". And Toronto can then take that to Lowry, and if he wants the deal to happen, it can happen. I don't think that violates any rules of any kind.

*It's obviously not an easy situation any way you slice it. But it's not impossible by any means either. The Lakers basically would have to be crazy about Lowry, and want to engage in such a scenario, being the initiators, likely wanting to preempt any other teams who might be interested, and especially if they'd want to offer him a 5-year deal.
      The "only real catch in this scenario would be that Lowry is a free agent". LOL, is that all?

I don't mind "clearly missing" LA forfeiting a high pick in a supposedly deep (aka overly hyped imo, and the constant shifting of mock draft boards support) draft full of superstars, on Lowry's verbal "okay" to be Kobe's catch-and-shoot side-kick for the next couple of years. Somehow I don't seeing Kyle relishing being Kobe's passive back court sidekick. I don't know why, but just don't.

I noticed you failed to quote, and respond, to my other side of the equation. Allow me to detail a little more:

- every player, every coach, every media person (not that they matter much), and our trusted GM himself speak about the chemistry with this team (read biggest influences of this being DD and KL) being THE biggest reason for their success
      - DD is a 24 year old all star, and quite justified
      - KL should be a quite justified all star
      - these two are as tight as twin brothers, while they're having the best time of their basketball lives leading this team, and if you listen to Ross, are the guys also being looked up to as examples of how to do it
      - 2 days ago, Masai says that he believes chemistry is the hardest thing to find in putting a successful team together, while having already said this team has it in spades.

Play around with senseless trade scenarios chasing draft hype if you wish, but at least recognize that this one ignores the "drive to lead" character Kyle is, his very outward attachment and enjoyment with this team, and goes against the grain of what the GM himself is saying (I trust in the man's integrity, possibly more than anything else).

IMO, unless Kyle were to come out and say he has no interest in staying, which isn't close to what we see from him on the floor and on the bench in every game, I don't see any evidence whatsoever (in fact MU's messages say the opposite) that MU won't do all possible to sign Lowry, not trade him for a fantasy basketball inspired draft pick that the other team wouldn't do. In fact, the way this season is playing out, the people in the seats would be forming a lynch mob if he did anything but sign the man, or take some team to the cleaners, very obviously. Something the Lakers are not exactly known for.

Yup, nothing is "impossible", but expecting one, or both, quality GMs of NBA teams to suddenly be dumb, is like believing in 0.0001% being "possible"

Comment

It does not violate anything.

Raps can negotiate an extension until June 30th.
        Lakers can't talk until July 1st.

Comment

The "only real catch in this scenario would be that Lowry is a free agent". LOL, is that all?

I don't mind "clearly missing" LA forfeiting a high pick in a supposedly deep (aka overly hyped imo, and the constant shifting of mock draft boards support) draft full of superstars, on Lowry's verbal "okay" to be Kobe's catch-and-shoot side-kick for the next couple of years. Somehow I don't seeing Kyle relishing being Kobe's passive back court sidekick. I don't know why, but just don't.

I noticed you failed to quote, and respond, to my other side of the equation. Allow me to detail a little more:

- every player, every coach, every media person (not that they matter much), and our trusted GM himself speak about the chemistry with this team (read biggest influences of this being DD and KL) being THE biggest reason for their success
          - DD is a 24 year old all star, and quite justified
          - KL should be a quite justified all star
          - these two are as tight as twin brothers, while they're having the best time of their basketball lives leading this team, and if you listen to Ross, are the guys also being looked up to as examples of how to do it
          - 2 days ago, Masai says that he believes chemistry is the hardest thing to find in putting a successful team together, while having already said this team has it in spades.

Play around with senseless trade scenarios chasing draft hype if you wish, but at least recognize that this one ignores the "drive to lead" character Kyle is, his very outward attachment and enjoyment with this team, and goes against the grain of what the GM himself is saying (I trust in the man's integrity, possibly more than anything else).

IMO, unless Kyle were to come out and say he has no interest in staying, which isn't close to what we see from him on the floor and on the bench in every game, I don't see any evidence whatsoever (in fact MU's messages say the opposite) that MU won't do all possible to sign Lowry, not trade him for a fantasy basketball inspired draft pick that the other team wouldn't do. In fact, the way this season is playing out, the people in the seats would be forming a lynch mob if he did anything but sign the man, or take some team to the cleaners, very obviously. Something the Lakers are not exactly known for.

Yup, nothing is "impossible", but expecting one, or both, quality GMs of NBA teams to suddenly be dumb, is like believing in 0.0001% being "possible"
          I ignored it because none of it matters if the Raptors simply aren't willing to foot a big contract he can get somewhere else. Would Masai sign Kyle to 12-14 million a year just to keep chemistry working on a team that's still not a finished product (and thus possibly diminishing his flexibility to finish said product with the roster as it stands)? What if that keeps you from finding even just the role players you need to help round out the roster and maintain the chemistry you have (Raptors won't have that much capspace this year)? Vasquez, Patterson both RFAs, and Salmons unlikely to be brought back at his current salary value for next year....thus 4 of our top 9 guys are in flux, and chemistry could be very difficult to retain even if Lowry is brought back. And who knows what happens with other guys like Hansbrough or Amir? Who could both have good value as trade chips, but are both great pieces "chemistry"-wise. Does Masai also refuse to trade someone like Amir because of chemistry if he can upgrade talent?

I don't think any of what could happen involves either GM being dumb. It would involve both making the most of the opportunities available to them. Again, if LA really wants Lowry, and values him more than say, the 7th pick in this draft, I don't see why they wouldn't at least check with Toronto about the possibility of a S&T, especially *if they want to offer him 5 years, and since if they can unload Nash, they'd be adding very little to their caphit going into next year. And if Toronto has no intention of meeting a super-high price for Lowry (which there have also been rumours about them not being willing to do), I don't see why they wouldn't see what opportunities are there in the S&T market.

*I think you're taking for granted that because Kyle is playing well and so is the team, they will do anything and everything to keep him. Don't think Masai is that type of GM. He's not a fan getting lost in the hype of a great season. Would not be at all surprised if there's a pricetag limit that Masai simply won't meet. And also wouldn't be surprised if he has multiple scenarios revolving around this situation already, from S&Ts, to what his limit will be, to what replacements can fit in, etc....There is more than one possible outcome, and we have no way to know which one is more likely, so it's totally worth discussing possibilities.
          Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Feb 15, 2014, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• ha, if such assumptions, and ignoring real evidence and common sense, turn your crank, carry on, but I reserve the right to criticize the line of thought. If you actually want to talk of reasonable possibilities of "talent upgrade" (what upgrade you talking about here, anyway?), that's a lot less based upon assuming a player's price tag, and doesn't assume LAL is going to overpay a non superstar to be Kobe's pet, doesn't ignore it needing that player's ignorance of a poor fit, and doesn't ignore the rare messages coming from our GM, that go with everything we see from said player and the rest of the team, I'm all for it, but that's not what we're talking about. imo, this Laker thing is nothing more than a desperate attempt to cling to lottery/draft fantasies, and ignores plenty of factors.
            Last edited by salmon; Sat Feb 15, 2014, 07:22 PM.

Comment

ha, if such assumptions, and ignoring real evidence and common sense, turn your crank, carry on, but I reserve the right to criticize the line of thought. If you actually want to talk of reasonable possibilities of "talent upgrade" (what upgrade you talking about here, anyway?), that's a lot less based upon assuming a player's price tag, and doesn't assume LAL is going to overpay a non superstar to be Kobe's pet, doesn't ignore it needing that player's ignorance of a poor fit, and doesn't ignore the rare messages coming from our GM, that go with everything we see from said player and the rest of the team, I'm all for it, but that's not what we're talking about. imo, this Laker thing is nothing more than a desperate attempt to cling to lottery/draft fantasies, and ignores plenty of factors.
              It's just a discussion. Get over it. Your posts are filled with assumptions too. Except you also paint any other arguments as total BS. There's absolutely no more merit to what you're saying than what pretty much anyone else is. Including your assuming that a random message about valuing chemistry totally dictates every decision the GM will make.

*And actually, there are very few assumptions in my post. The main assumption is that GMs are open to multiple possibilities and looking at how to maximize opportunities that become available to them. The rest is just speculating on possibilities because there is no evidence to suggest any clear path has been laid out at all, which is what you seem to assume. Good for you.

Seriously, didn't p00ka get banned? Is everyone going to ignore that this is clearly the same person?
              Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Feb 15, 2014, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Seriously, didn't p00ka get banned? Is everyone going to ignore that this is clearly the same person?
                Tis a secret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's just a discussion. Get over it. Your posts are filled with assumptions too. Except you also paint any other arguments as total BS. There's absolutely no more merit to what you're saying than what pretty much anyone else is. Including your assuming that a random message about valuing chemistry totally dictates every decision the GM will make.

*And actually, there are very few assumptions in my post. The main assumption is that GMs are open to multiple possibilities and looking at how to maximize opportunities that become available to them. The rest is just speculating on possibilities because there is no evidence to suggest any clear path has been laid out at all, which is what you seem to assume. Good for you.

"It's just a discussion. Get over it."

lol, get over what? That you can't get over a little opposition, and call for a ban? LOL, and seeing ghosts as some "justification"? LOL Grow some cajones as big as your mouth.

Comment

• The man doesn't mince words:

RotoWorld wrote:
                    Raptors GM Masai Ujiri didn't rule out trading Kyle Lowry before the deadline, saying, "I think we are not good enough so you have to keep it open."

"That's the honest answer," Ujiri said. "These guys have done pretty good. I know we've won a couple of games but we haven't done anything yet." The Raptors' 28-24 record is enough to put them in third place in the East, though they'd be 10th out West. Lowry is a big reason for the team's success and the Raptors may be keep him until he hits free agency this summer, but Ujiri doesn't seem to view any of his players as untouchable.

Source
                    Last edited by Joey; Mon Feb 17, 2014, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I don't think mock draft boards shifting necessarily indicates that the draft is overly-hyped. It can just as easily indicate that the draft is so deep and competitive that there are multiple players who are worthy of being a Top 10 pick this year. Glass half-empty, glass half-full. Either way.

While I doubt this trade idea with the Lakers happens, there is still merit to it. The Lakers know Kobe will only last another 2-3 years tops; but even at a declining rate, Kobe has a way to "will" a team to championship calibre. Adding a legit PG who can score, defend and is equally competitive is a great way for them to instantly upgrade their back-court. If they can move Gasol and Nash in the equation, then the move doesn't interfere with their long term desire to attract a Love or Aldridge in free agency.

The Lakers aren't like us, they don't have the build the same way as other teams, simply because they are the Lakers. The Heat are the current fad for Free agents, but no one, not even Boston, can match the Lakers overall combined attractiveness in free agency (weather, social life, franchise legacy, hot chicks).
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• fellas.
                        play nice eh..... I think on these topics, were ALL making assumptions.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          The man doesn't mince words:
                          On their face the comments aren't that interesting: The Raptors may or may not make a trade - stop the presses! But those quotes are also a lot less coy/vague than his usual remarks, so maybe there is something brewing there. It's the first time he's given any credence to the weakened Eastern Conference, and his comments on Lowry strike me as un-Masai like as well.
                          Last edited by Fully; Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
                            But those quotes are also a lot less coy/vague than his usual remarks, so maybe there is something brew there. It's the first time he's given any credence to the weakened Eastern Conference, and his comments on Lowry strike me as un-Masai like as well.
                            Precisely what I was thinking. I feel like he's almost trying to brace people for it (like they weren't already..).

Comment

"It's just a discussion. Get over it."

lol, get over what? That you can't get over a little opposition, and call for a ban? LOL, and seeing ghosts as some "justification"? LOL Grow some cajones as big as your mouth.
                              I'm fine with opposition if it has some rational thought attached to it.

I'm not fine with some monstrously stupid person thinking he's right about everything when he doesn't even understand the basic rules of the league. And then he brings cojones into it? You're the ball-less fuck who never makes any kind of reasonable argument and relies on chestpounding, shouting and debasement. You're just a fucking wanna be bully with two stale turds for a brain. You think you're so fucking high and mighty that you never need to understand or justify anything. Then you get banned for being a prick (because we all know you're pooka), and come back just so you can keep being a prick. Go fuck yourself. Go get a life.

Sorry mods, but seriously, this guy is the worst poster in the history of RR. He's nothing but offensive and never provides any substance to any discussion, always instead looking to start arguments, not have discussions.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                                Precisely what I was thinking. I feel like he's almost trying to brace people for it (like they weren't already..).
                                Or you know, to also brace people for the possibility that even without a trade, they may not be willing to pay too high a price for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X