Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Free Agency Thread

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2014 Free Agency Thread

Complete list of UFA and RFA next year and the following year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/99...ents-2014-2015

What this team need is a PF. But there's not a lot out there. Randolph i think is the best of the bunch. I think he's the perfect PF for this team. But he's got a player option.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

Best targets for this team- Deng on a reasonable contract, with Ross playing as the 6th man and soaking up the minutes salmons is getting now, 20-25 a game

Ryan Hollins- He`s better at defending the more athletic centers/pf's in the league than hayes. He'd be a good big man for the times when we have to face the davis's of the world where hayes struggles. And he can shoot a little bit, which opens up a little bit more space for drives (crucial for DD) because he can hit from the free throw line. He's even hit the odd 14-19 footer once or twice

In addition, I wouldn't mind getting Toney Douglas for nights where Vasquez is struggling or we need to keep up the defensive intensity when Lowry hits the bench

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

^Ross is shit off the bench...I really only want to see him on the starting lineup playing minutes with people who can create spot up attempts for him.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a bunch of these threads.

I'd say stay away from big names and focus on young role players.

Build a competitive team that is missing the star.

Pg: jimmer
    Wing: Hamilton
    3/4: Aminu
    5: Hawes (unlikely to be cheap)
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    There are a bunch of these threads.

I'd say stay away from big names and focus on young role players.

Build a competitive team that is missing the star.

Pg: jimmer
    Wing: Hamilton
    3/4: Aminu
    5: Hawes (unlikely to be cheap)
    I'm pretty much only with you on Aminu.

I hate Jimmer. No thank you. Just see no real benefit to signing him whatsoever. I've barely seen Hamilton play...so I'm fine if he's a 3rd stringer at minimum value, but I'd have no clue what he can contribute. Not a big Hawes fan.

For a big, I'd look for a vet. I really want a quality vet on this team, and preferably at big, or possibly at wing.
    -> For bigs I'd look at what Brand or Okafor might be able to give you. Both have been solid defensive players. Okafor especially, if he comes back from his injury issues with no ill effects, but he'll hopefully be cheap because of those issues and his age.
    -> Honestly don't see a lot of good options at the wing for vets. Butler? Carter? I don't know. No one I'm thrilled about. I'd love to have Carter on paper, but I don't want the associated circus that would come with his return.

Other than Aminu, I'd be curious about Marvin Williams' price, as he could be a solid bench scorer and 3/4.

At PG, I might be ok with re-signing Vasquez. He's inconsistent, but not going to find a lot of backup PGs capable of running your offence with borderline starter ability, even if you don't get that every night. Don't like a lot of the younger PGs who will be available via free agency, so for youth here, I'd probably look to get someone in the draft. Another couple of vets I might look at are Session and Blake.

I don't see young bigs worth picking up either.

None of this matters until the Lowry issue is resolved anyway....

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont forget...and being optimistic about MU's picking powers...the Raps currently have 3 picks in the 2014 draft (1/1 & 2/2s).

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I'm pretty much only with you on Aminu.

I hate Jimmer. No thank you. Just see no real benefit to signing him whatsoever. I've barely seen Hamilton play...so I'm fine if he's a 3rd stringer at minimum value, but I'd have no clue what he can contribute. Not a big Hawes fan.

For a big, I'd look for a vet. I really want a quality vet on this team, and preferably at big, or possibly at wing.
    -> For bigs I'd look at what Brand or Okafor might be able to give you. Both have been solid defensive players. Okafor especially, if he comes back from his injury issues with no ill effects, but he'll hopefully be cheap because of those issues and his age.
    -> Honestly don't see a lot of good options at the wing for vets. Butler? Carter? I don't know. No one I'm thrilled about. I'd love to have Carter on paper, but I don't want the associated circus that would come with his return.

Other than Aminu, I'd be curious about Marvin Williams' price, as he could be a solid bench scorer and 3/4.

At PG, I might be ok with re-signing Vasquez. He's inconsistent, but not going to find a lot of backup PGs capable of running your offence with borderline starter ability, even if you don't get that every night. Don't like a lot of the younger PGs who will be available via free agency, so for youth here, I'd probably look to get someone in the draft. Another couple of vets I might look at are Session and Blake.

I don't see young bigs worth picking up either.

None of this matters until the Lowry issue is resolved anyway....
    I like jimmer based on how Casey has played his back up PGs: shoot first pass never.

Now Casey might not be back, so who knows. But I'd like to see jimmer in vasquez's role
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I like jimmer based on how Casey has played his back up PGs: shoot first pass never.

Now Casey might not be back, so who knows. But I'd like to see jimmer in vasquez's role
    I'd hardly call a guy that has career 8.2 ASTs/36, and with Raps 3.9/19 "pass never", but then that's just stats.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TSF wrote: View Post
    Best targets for this team- Deng on a reasonable contract
    Deng isn't going to get a reasonable contract. He's the best non-superstar available in free agency this year and made it clear to Chicago he wasn't going to be happy with $10m per year. No way he signs anywhere for less than $12m and/or a serious chance at a ring.

Post Thanks / Like

agree with depth guys being better targets, especially if you can get them cheapish.

some i like based on i assume none of our guys are resigned:

Avery Bradley
    Xavier Henry
    Lavoy Allen
    Project Pat
    Kevin Seraphin
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Sign Lowry.
    Let Salmons and Daye walk
    Re-sign Vasquez.

Look for some of the following:

Wesley Johnson (matches up with beefier SFs better than Ross)
    Al-Farooq Aminu
    Nick Young
    Xavier Henry
    Dejuan Blair/Chris Kaman
    Marshon Brooks

All of these guys (except for maybe Blair & Aminu) can provide a great punch off the bench and can come cheap (except for maybe Kaman, Henry & Young).

I see us trading Hansbrough since he is kind of the odd man out in our rotation, and maybe getting Kaman. Novak could probably be flipped at the deadline for a 2nd rounder.

PG: Lowry, Vasquez
    SG: Derozan, Young/Brooks, Fields
    SF: Ross, Aminu, Fields
    PF: Patterson, Johnson
    C: JV, Kaman, Hayes

Vasquez and Amir have a good P&R combo. Young/backup SG can bring a scoring punch. Aminu/Johnson can guard bigger SFs. Johnson provides tough defense at the rim. Kaman has a good post game and can fill in when JV is frustrated
    Last edited by 2kfeen; Wed Feb 12th, 2014 at 09:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I like a lot of the depth guys mentioned- lots of good fits for the roster.

I don't really see anyone worth clogging up the cap sheet for though, honestly. The best UFA for us to offer a contract to is Lowry, and that's not going to kill our salary situation.

Sometimes waiting is the best option, instead of just giving the best guy you can get on the market an offer (AKA NY-Amare) 2015 will have Lebron/Wade/Bosh/ if they don't opt out this year, Lopez/Love/Afflalo/Dragic all have player options, and there's also Rondo, Millsap, and Aldridge.

13. Like salmon liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't mind seeing Billups pursued as a backup PG (assuming Lowry's re-signed).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Like the idea of Kaman too.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

we dont need a starting PF...2Pat is legit
    we dont need a backup PF...Amir or 2Hans can handle it

we need a veteran backup centre ala Kaman, or Okafor
    we need a backup PG if The General exceeds 5 million a year

17. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Our needs today wont be our needs come July. Trade deadline and draft will dictate our free agency plans, but I think the overall premise of most posters (going to depth players) is the right train of thought.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So, depending on what happens, here's how I break down my targets

If we are looking for a 2nd unit scoring big:
    Elton Brand - old fashion low post scorer can show JV some moves
    K-Hump - bit of a diva, but I think he'll come into next season determined to prove people wrong and will have one of his best seasons

If we are looking for a defensive big:
    Dante Cunningham - can defend either the 3 or 4 spot. Vastly under-rated player imo.
    Okafor - bigger name but injury risk should drive down price
    Kaman - help make JV a better player. Good personality and fit for back-up role

We need some depth leadership guys on the wing:
    Marion - vet leader will get the best out of Ross/DD and help manage the 2nd unit/spot starter
    VC - as per Marion but with much more media buzz
    Henry - bench scorer
    Aminu - good defender
    Marvin Williams - had a pretty good season in Utah and got minutes at both the 3/4, so can run small ball sets with him

If either Lowry or Vasquez is gone and we don't draft a PG in round 1, then for back-up:
    Steve Blake
    Luke Ridnour
    Jimmer - I like the little gunner and think he'd be really cheap to get

If both are gone and we draft a PG in round 1, then for a placeholder starter:
    Ramon Sessions - under-rated imo
    Aaron Brooks

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    agree with depth guys being better targets, especially if you can get them cheapish.

some i like based on i assume none of our guys are resigned:

Avery Bradley
    Xavier Henry
    Lavoy Allen
    Project Pat
    Kevin Seraphin
    I really like Xavier Henry as a bench scorer, seen quite some laker games this season and he would be a nice get, draws a ton of fouls and can shoot. Doubt he'd be that expensive either.

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sign me up for Okafor

Dude is a defensive force that can really help everyone on the Raps (especially Val). Has been pretty healthy actually for the good majority of his career, if he can recover from this current injury he could be a stealth signing for whoever gets him.

Don't know how much he is worth... 2 years guaranteed with a team option on the 3rd year for 3, 3.5, 4 mil??

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    So, depending on what happens, here's how I break down my targets

If we are looking for a 2nd unit scoring big:
    Elton Brand - old fashion low post scorer can show JV some moves
    K-Hump - bit of a diva, but I think he'll come into next season determined to prove people wrong and will have one of his best seasons

If we are looking for a defensive big:
    Dante Cunningham - can defend either the 3 or 4 spot. Vastly under-rated player imo.
    Okafor - bigger name but injury risk should drive down price
    Kaman - help make JV a better player. Good personality and fit for back-up role

We need some depth leadership guys on the wing:
    Marion - vet leader will get the best out of Ross/DD and help manage the 2nd unit/spot starter
    VC - as per Marion but with much more media buzz
    Henry - bench scorer
    Aminu - good defender
    Marvin Williams - had a pretty good season in Utah and got minutes at both the 3/4, so can run small ball sets with him

If either Lowry or Vasquez is gone and we don't draft a PG in round 1, then for back-up:
    Steve Blake
    Luke Ridnour
    Jimmer - I like the little gunner and think he'd be really cheap to get

If both are gone and we draft a PG in round 1, then for a placeholder starter:
    Ramon Sessions - under-rated imo
    Aaron Brooks
    Now, I see some positives to signing Kaman.....

But defensive big? No way is he that. Good personality? A guy who has sulked in many of his recent situations, who is usually out of shape, and has complained about how coaches use him to the press? I don't think so there either. He's an offensive C with legit size. But I wouldn't sign him for his D or character. In fact, I probably wouldn't particularly like him on my team.

23. Like tylerPraps, BigCamB, OldSkoolCool liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information