Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Free Agency Thread

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Now, I see some positives to signing Kaman.....

But defensive big? No way is he that. Good personality? A guy who has sulked in many of his recent situations, who is usually out of shape, and has complained about how coaches use him to the press? I don't think so there either. He's an offensive C with legit size. But I wouldn't sign him for his D or character. In fact, I probably wouldn't particularly like him on my team.
    Honestly, I didn't think he fit into either category, but I still like the idea of signing him. His defence hasn't been bad this year. He's quirky and I like that. You need a bench player with some personality.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We need a back up Wing to score off the bench and hit open jumpers off GV passes.

VC! anyone in 2015 Tyson Chandler may be a good target.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Was anyone else impressed with Gustavo Ayon last night? I'll admit I know little about the guy, and I don't want to jump to conclusions from a single game. But he impressed me against the Raps, especially offensively. Seems like a very mobile big and I was surprised with his athleticism. He is a RFA in the offseason, would it be worth it to throw an offer at him to be a backup C? I have no idea what his value would be, and he isn't the vet most would want (28 years old, only 134 games played) but maybe he could be a decent backup if we could get him on the cheap. Basketball Reference has him at $1.5M for the season.

Thoughts?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Was anyone else impressed with Gustavo Ayon last night? I'll admit I know little about the guy, and I don't want to jump to conclusions from a single game. But he impressed me against the Raps, especially offensively. Seems like a very mobile big and I was surprised with his athleticism. He is a RFA in the offseason, would it be worth it to throw an offer at him to be a backup C? I have no idea what his value would be, and he isn't the vet most would want (28 years old, only 134 games played) but maybe he could be a decent backup if we could get him on the cheap. Basketball Reference has him at $1.5M for the season.

Thoughts?
    Ayon is crafty. I think he'd be great as a backup C if he had a couple of more inches, but then he'd be pricier if he was a 7 footer. As is, can he provide anything that we don't already have with Amir, Patterson, Hansbrough?

PS. I see Hansbrough being moved. Love his energy, and really get a kick out of his super talent at drawing foul calls (including some funny non-legit ones), but his black hole offensive game doesn't fit with an offense predicated on ball movement. Note that his 5th year in the league and his career ASTs/36 = 1.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Trevor Ariza and VC are my wing targets
    #BringBackUzoh

6. Like Mapko liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie Niagara Raptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Michael Jordan remains unsigned ...

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Now, I see some positives to signing Kaman.....

But defensive big? No way is he that. Good personality? A guy who has sulked in many of his recent situations, who is usually out of shape, and has complained about how coaches use him to the press? I don't think so there either. He's an offensive C with legit size. But I wouldn't sign him for his D or character. In fact, I probably wouldn't particularly like him on my team.
    Exactly my thoughts.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    we dont need a starting PF...2Pat is legit
    we dont need a backup PF...Amir or 2Hans can handle it

we need a veteran backup centre ala Kaman, or Okafor
    we need a backup PG if The General exceeds 5 million a year
    Biedrins?
    1. Cheap (Vets min);
    2. No pressure of living up to huge contract;
    3. Fellow Lithuanian (Might help Jonas);
    4. Decent D (no O).

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mapko wrote: View Post
    Biedrins?
    1. Cheap (Vets min);
    2. No pressure of living up to huge contract;
    3. Fellow Lithuanian (Might help Jonas);
    4. Decent D (no O).
    I don't think this is a very good reason in general...but especially when Biedrins is Latvian

*Its not the worst idea. A low risk move. Pretty much like getting Daye this year.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Feb 14th, 2014 at 12:34 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He is Latvian, not Lithuanian, but close enough (edit- beaten to it by Woody Harrelson)

For a backup Center none of the free agent centers interest me. I mean Okafor would be great for a number of reasons but if that doesn't happen, I'm looking for someone who will be fine with/is used to a backup role, is mobile enough to play against smaller lineups, and can protect the rim a bit. Players like Festus Ezeli, Ian Mahimi. I really like Mozgov from Denver, although I think he's better than a backup. Pretty hard to find a good backup center.

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How 'bout a rookie?

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote salmon wrote: View Post
    ...PS. I see Hansbrough being moved. Love his energy, and really get a kick out of his super talent at drawing foul calls (including some funny non-legit ones), but his black hole offensive game doesn't fit with an offense predicated on ball movement. Note that his 5th year in the league and his career ASTs/36 = 1.0.
    Hansbrough passes when he doesn't have position or isn't in a position to make a shot or draw a foul. He is usually in the paint getting tangled up with the defender, or battling for position...not the best location for getting assists. The % of times when he either scores (on the first, second or third attempt) or gets fouled trying to score is unreal. You can't brush off his contribution because his assist rate is low.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
    Michael Jordan remains unsigned ...
    Jalen Rose, is that you?

Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Starter e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it not possible to restructure fields' or Hayes' contracts (without using the stretch provision and without waiving them) to pay them like 1.5 mil for 3 seasons or whatever it works to?
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    Is it not possible to restructure fields' or Hayes' contracts (without using the stretch provision and without waiving them) to pay them like 1.5 mil for 3 seasons or whatever it works to?
    No.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Re-sign Lowry and look for an all star (or a youngster who's close to being one). If it doesn't happen, maintain flexibility.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade Salmons, Hansbrough, Novak at the deadline

Re-sign Lowry
    get a cheap meaty backup SF. like Metta World Peace, Aminu, Salmons.
    Look for a decent backup center, like Kaman.

Keep the draft pick.

Keep Fields & Hayes as expiring contracts (like 12 mill in expirings!)

Then next year, make a play for Kevin Love with one our expirings (Fields, Hayes), Amir, our 2014 draft pick, and maybe an additional pick.

Raptors Republic Starter Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Sign me up for Okafor

Dude is a defensive force that can really help everyone on the Raps (especially Val). Has been pretty healthy actually for the good majority of his career, if he can recover from this current injury he could be a stealth signing for whoever gets him.

Don't know how much he is worth... 2 years guaranteed with a team option on the 3rd year for 3, 3.5, 4 mil??
    Agree We need a backup C that can give 15-18 minutes a night and be able to match up with the bigger players at the position (Hibbert/Nene/Al Jefferson) in the east. Chuck gives it his all but we need an upgrade here. Really like Okafor if we can buy him with FA money.

IMO we can also use another another wing player to throw into the mix with DD and TR. Salmons is going to be bought out and after him its Novak (who I keep for that skill set of shooting 3's with the best of them ) and Fields and Daye. Fields we seem to be stuck with but its hasta la wego to Daye. This we too can buy with FA money.

As for the draft.. there should be a PG out there in our draft position to shore up that spot. If Lowry is elsewhere then its a different strategy on where the FA money goes.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Feb 17th, 2014 at 05:35 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As a legit backup C, who would you rather get on the Raptors team next season? Kaman or Okafor? Or who else?

Post Thanks / Like

Okafor would be interesting if he was healthy and cheap. He could give you some solid minutes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information