No announcement yet.

2014 Free Agency Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our needs today wont be our needs come July. Trade deadline and draft will dictate our free agency plans, but I think the overall premise of most posters (going to depth players) is the right train of thought.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

So, depending on what happens, here's how I break down my targets

If we are looking for a 2nd unit scoring big:
      Elton Brand - old fashion low post scorer can show JV some moves
      K-Hump - bit of a diva, but I think he'll come into next season determined to prove people wrong and will have one of his best seasons

If we are looking for a defensive big:
      Dante Cunningham - can defend either the 3 or 4 spot. Vastly under-rated player imo.
      Okafor - bigger name but injury risk should drive down price
      Kaman - help make JV a better player. Good personality and fit for back-up role

We need some depth leadership guys on the wing:
      Marion - vet leader will get the best out of Ross/DD and help manage the 2nd unit/spot starter
      VC - as per Marion but with much more media buzz
      Henry - bench scorer
      Aminu - good defender
      Marvin Williams - had a pretty good season in Utah and got minutes at both the 3/4, so can run small ball sets with him

If either Lowry or Vasquez is gone and we don't draft a PG in round 1, then for back-up:
      Steve Blake
      Luke Ridnour
      Jimmer - I like the little gunner and think he'd be really cheap to get

If both are gone and we draft a PG in round 1, then for a placeholder starter:
      Ramon Sessions - under-rated imo
      Aaron Brooks

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        agree with depth guys being better targets, especially if you can get them cheapish.

some i like based on i assume none of our guys are resigned:

Avery Bradley
        Xavier Henry
        Lavoy Allen
        Project Pat
        Kevin Seraphin
        I really like Xavier Henry as a bench scorer, seen quite some laker games this season and he would be a nice get, draws a ton of fouls and can shoot. Doubt he'd be that expensive either.

Comment

Sign me up for Okafor

Dude is a defensive force that can really help everyone on the Raps (especially Val). Has been pretty healthy actually for the good majority of his career, if he can recover from this current injury he could be a stealth signing for whoever gets him.

Don't know how much he is worth... 2 years guaranteed with a team option on the 3rd year for 3, 3.5, 4 mil??

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
            So, depending on what happens, here's how I break down my targets

If we are looking for a 2nd unit scoring big:
            Elton Brand - old fashion low post scorer can show JV some moves
            K-Hump - bit of a diva, but I think he'll come into next season determined to prove people wrong and will have one of his best seasons

If we are looking for a defensive big:
            Dante Cunningham - can defend either the 3 or 4 spot. Vastly under-rated player imo.
            Okafor - bigger name but injury risk should drive down price
            Kaman - help make JV a better player. Good personality and fit for back-up role

We need some depth leadership guys on the wing:
            Marion - vet leader will get the best out of Ross/DD and help manage the 2nd unit/spot starter
            VC - as per Marion but with much more media buzz
            Henry - bench scorer
            Aminu - good defender
            Marvin Williams - had a pretty good season in Utah and got minutes at both the 3/4, so can run small ball sets with him

If either Lowry or Vasquez is gone and we don't draft a PG in round 1, then for back-up:
            Steve Blake
            Luke Ridnour
            Jimmer - I like the little gunner and think he'd be really cheap to get

If both are gone and we draft a PG in round 1, then for a placeholder starter:
            Ramon Sessions - under-rated imo
            Aaron Brooks
            Now, I see some positives to signing Kaman.....

But defensive big? No way is he that. Good personality? A guy who has sulked in many of his recent situations, who is usually out of shape, and has complained about how coaches use him to the press? I don't think so there either. He's an offensive C with legit size. But I wouldn't sign him for his D or character. In fact, I probably wouldn't particularly like him on my team.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post

But defensive big? No way is he that. Good personality? A guy who has sulked in many of his recent situations, who is usually out of shape, and has complained about how coaches use him to the press? I don't think so there either. He's an offensive C with legit size. But I wouldn't sign him for his D or character. In fact, I probably wouldn't particularly like him on my team.
              Honestly, I didn't think he fit into either category, but I still like the idea of signing him. His defence hasn't been bad this year. He's quirky and I like that. You need a bench player with some personality.

Comment

We need a back up Wing to score off the bench and hit open jumpers off GV passes.

VC! anyone in 2015 Tyson Chandler may be a good target.

Comment

Was anyone else impressed with Gustavo Ayon last night? I'll admit I know little about the guy, and I don't want to jump to conclusions from a single game. But he impressed me against the Raps, especially offensively. Seems like a very mobile big and I was surprised with his athleticism. He is a RFA in the offseason, would it be worth it to throw an offer at him to be a backup C? I have no idea what his value would be, and he isn't the vet most would want (28 years old, only 134 games played) but maybe he could be a decent backup if we could get him on the cheap. Basketball Reference has him at $1.5M for the season.

Thoughts?

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                    Was anyone else impressed with Gustavo Ayon last night? I'll admit I know little about the guy, and I don't want to jump to conclusions from a single game. But he impressed me against the Raps, especially offensively. Seems like a very mobile big and I was surprised with his athleticism. He is a RFA in the offseason, would it be worth it to throw an offer at him to be a backup C? I have no idea what his value would be, and he isn't the vet most would want (28 years old, only 134 games played) but maybe he could be a decent backup if we could get him on the cheap. Basketball Reference has him at $1.5M for the season.

Thoughts?
                    Ayon is crafty. I think he'd be great as a backup C if he had a couple of more inches, but then he'd be pricier if he was a 7 footer. As is, can he provide anything that we don't already have with Amir, Patterson, Hansbrough?

PS. I see Hansbrough being moved. Love his energy, and really get a kick out of his super talent at drawing foul calls (including some funny non-legit ones), but his black hole offensive game doesn't fit with an offense predicated on ball movement. Note that his 5th year in the league and his career ASTs/36 = 1.0.

Comment

Trevor Ariza and VC are my wing targets
                      #BringBackUzoh

Comment

Michael Jordan remains unsigned ...

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Exactly my thoughts.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                            we dont need a starting PF...2Pat is legit
                            we dont need a backup PF...Amir or 2Hans can handle it

we need a veteran backup centre ala Kaman, or Okafor
                            we need a backup PG if The General exceeds 5 million a year
                            Biedrins?
                            1. Cheap (Vets min);
                            2. No pressure of living up to huge contract;
                            3. Fellow Lithuanian (Might help Jonas);
                            4. Decent D (no O).

Comment

Mapko wrote: View Post
                              Biedrins?
                              1. Cheap (Vets min);
                              2. No pressure of living up to huge contract;
                              3. Fellow Lithuanian (Might help Jonas);
                              4. Decent D (no O).
                              I don't think this is a very good reason in general...but especially when Biedrins is Latvian

*Its not the worst idea. A low risk move. Pretty much like getting Daye this year.
                              Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Feb 14, 2014, 01:34 AM.

Comment

He is Latvian, not Lithuanian, but close enough (edit- beaten to it by Woody Harrelson)

For a backup Center none of the free agent centers interest me. I mean Okafor would be great for a number of reasons but if that doesn't happen, I'm looking for someone who will be fine with/is used to a backup role, is mobile enough to play against smaller lineups, and can protect the rim a bit. Players like Festus Ezeli, Ian Mahimi. I really like Mozgov from Denver, although I think he's better than a backup. Pretty hard to find a good backup center.

Comment

Working...
                                X