2014 Free Agency Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Free Agency Thread

Complete list of UFA and RFA next year and the following year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/99...ents-2014-2015

What this team need is a PF. But there's not a lot out there. Randolph i think is the best of the bunch. I think he's the perfect PF for this team. But he's got a player option.
    Mamba Mentality

Best targets for this team- Deng on a reasonable contract, with Ross playing as the 6th man and soaking up the minutes salmons is getting now, 20-25 a game

Ryan Hollins- He`s better at defending the more athletic centers/pf's in the league than hayes. He'd be a good big man for the times when we have to face the davis's of the world where hayes struggles. And he can shoot a little bit, which opens up a little bit more space for drives (crucial for DD) because he can hit from the free throw line. He's even hit the odd 14-19 footer once or twice

In addition, I wouldn't mind getting Toney Douglas for nights where Vasquez is struggling or we need to keep up the defensive intensity when Lowry hits the bench
    @Boymusic66

Comment

^Ross is shit off the bench...I really only want to see him on the starting lineup playing minutes with people who can create spot up attempts for him.

Comment

There are a bunch of these threads.

I'd say stay away from big names and focus on young role players.

Build a competitive team that is missing the star.

Pg: jimmer
        Wing: Hamilton
        3/4: Aminu
        5: Hawes (unlikely to be cheap)

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          There are a bunch of these threads.

I'd say stay away from big names and focus on young role players.

Build a competitive team that is missing the star.

Pg: jimmer
          Wing: Hamilton
          3/4: Aminu
          5: Hawes (unlikely to be cheap)
          I'm pretty much only with you on Aminu.

I hate Jimmer. No thank you. Just see no real benefit to signing him whatsoever. I've barely seen Hamilton play...so I'm fine if he's a 3rd stringer at minimum value, but I'd have no clue what he can contribute. Not a big Hawes fan.

For a big, I'd look for a vet. I really want a quality vet on this team, and preferably at big, or possibly at wing.
          -> For bigs I'd look at what Brand or Okafor might be able to give you. Both have been solid defensive players. Okafor especially, if he comes back from his injury issues with no ill effects, but he'll hopefully be cheap because of those issues and his age.
          -> Honestly don't see a lot of good options at the wing for vets. Butler? Carter? I don't know. No one I'm thrilled about. I'd love to have Carter on paper, but I don't want the associated circus that would come with his return.

Other than Aminu, I'd be curious about Marvin Williams' price, as he could be a solid bench scorer and 3/4.

At PG, I might be ok with re-signing Vasquez. He's inconsistent, but not going to find a lot of backup PGs capable of running your offence with borderline starter ability, even if you don't get that every night. Don't like a lot of the younger PGs who will be available via free agency, so for youth here, I'd probably look to get someone in the draft. Another couple of vets I might look at are Session and Blake.

I don't see young bigs worth picking up either.

None of this matters until the Lowry issue is resolved anyway....

Comment

Dont forget...and being optimistic about MU's picking powers...the Raps currently have 3 picks in the 2014 draft (1/1 & 2/2s).

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              I'm pretty much only with you on Aminu.

I hate Jimmer. No thank you. Just see no real benefit to signing him whatsoever. I've barely seen Hamilton play...so I'm fine if he's a 3rd stringer at minimum value, but I'd have no clue what he can contribute. Not a big Hawes fan.

For a big, I'd look for a vet. I really want a quality vet on this team, and preferably at big, or possibly at wing.
              -> For bigs I'd look at what Brand or Okafor might be able to give you. Both have been solid defensive players. Okafor especially, if he comes back from his injury issues with no ill effects, but he'll hopefully be cheap because of those issues and his age.
              -> Honestly don't see a lot of good options at the wing for vets. Butler? Carter? I don't know. No one I'm thrilled about. I'd love to have Carter on paper, but I don't want the associated circus that would come with his return.

Other than Aminu, I'd be curious about Marvin Williams' price, as he could be a solid bench scorer and 3/4.

At PG, I might be ok with re-signing Vasquez. He's inconsistent, but not going to find a lot of backup PGs capable of running your offence with borderline starter ability, even if you don't get that every night. Don't like a lot of the younger PGs who will be available via free agency, so for youth here, I'd probably look to get someone in the draft. Another couple of vets I might look at are Session and Blake.

I don't see young bigs worth picking up either.

None of this matters until the Lowry issue is resolved anyway....
              I like jimmer based on how Casey has played his back up PGs: shoot first pass never.

Now Casey might not be back, so who knows. But I'd like to see jimmer in vasquez's role

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I like jimmer based on how Casey has played his back up PGs: shoot first pass never.

Now Casey might not be back, so who knows. But I'd like to see jimmer in vasquez's role
                I'd hardly call a guy that has career 8.2 ASTs/36, and with Raps 3.9/19 "pass never", but then that's just stats.

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
                  Best targets for this team- Deng on a reasonable contract
                  Deng isn't going to get a reasonable contract. He's the best non-superstar available in free agency this year and made it clear to Chicago he wasn't going to be happy with $10m per year. No way he signs anywhere for less than $12m and/or a serious chance at a ring.

Comment

agree with depth guys being better targets, especially if you can get them cheapish.

some i like based on i assume none of our guys are resigned:

Avery Bradley
                    Xavier Henry
                    Lavoy Allen
                    Project Pat
                    Kevin Seraphin
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Sign Lowry.
                      Let Salmons and Daye walk
                      Re-sign Vasquez.

Look for some of the following:

Wesley Johnson (matches up with beefier SFs better than Ross)
                      Al-Farooq Aminu
                      Nick Young
                      Xavier Henry
                      Dejuan Blair/Chris Kaman
                      Marshon Brooks

All of these guys (except for maybe Blair & Aminu) can provide a great punch off the bench and can come cheap (except for maybe Kaman, Henry & Young).

I see us trading Hansbrough since he is kind of the odd man out in our rotation, and maybe getting Kaman. Novak could probably be flipped at the deadline for a 2nd rounder.

PG: Lowry, Vasquez
                      SG: Derozan, Young/Brooks, Fields
                      SF: Ross, Aminu, Fields
                      PF: Patterson, Johnson
                      C: JV, Kaman, Hayes

Vasquez and Amir have a good P&R combo. Young/backup SG can bring a scoring punch. Aminu/Johnson can guard bigger SFs. Johnson provides tough defense at the rim. Kaman has a good post game and can fill in when JV is frustrated
                      Last edited by 2kfeen; Wed Feb 12, 2014, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I like a lot of the depth guys mentioned- lots of good fits for the roster.

I don't really see anyone worth clogging up the cap sheet for though, honestly. The best UFA for us to offer a contract to is Lowry, and that's not going to kill our salary situation.

Sometimes waiting is the best option, instead of just giving the best guy you can get on the market an offer (AKA NY-Amare) 2015 will have Lebron/Wade/Bosh/ if they don't opt out this year, Lopez/Love/Afflalo/Dragic all have player options, and there's also Rondo, Millsap, and Aldridge.
                        @Boymusic66

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing Billups pursued as a backup PG (assuming Lowry's re-signed).

Comment

Like the idea of Kaman too.

Comment

we dont need a starting PF...2Pat is legit
                              we dont need a backup PF...Amir or 2Hans can handle it

we need a veteran backup centre ala Kaman, or Okafor
                              we need a backup PG if The General exceeds 5 million a year
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                              X