JV needs to grow up a little bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel wrote: View Post
    I'd like to see the list players that don't do this. The NBA game is such that basically every call is argued a little bit; it's a psychological battle with the refs. Work him over for long enough, he might actually believe you. I don't think it's fair to criticism JV for doing something that nearly every player in the league does.

Some examples of some pretty good players:

Good company.

Comment

navyblues wrote: View Post
      I know he's not the only one in the league who complains about calls. Give me a break. But the three gentlemen in the photos are not career complainers. Veterans like the ones depicted know that they should pick their battles. Kyle Lowry loves talking to the refs, and will always speak his mind. But that's not what JV does. JV acts like he just got rejected at the high school dance when a foul is called on him, sulks his way to the side of the key, or the bench, muttering. I realize he might not have the real-time language skills yet to plead an articulate case to the refs, but do not confuse pouting with working the referees, because the pouting he does is never going to make the next call go his way.
      I don't like the sulking either. I do like his energy. If he could just hit a few mid range jumpers his confidence could soar.

Comment

I know he's not the only one in the league who complains about calls. Give me a break. But the three gentlemen in the photos are not career complainers. Veterans like the ones depicted know that they should pick their battles. Kyle Lowry loves talking to the refs, and will always speak his mind. But that's not what JV does. JV acts like he just got rejected at the high school dance when a foul is called on him, sulks his way to the side of the key, or the bench, muttering. I realize he might not have the real-time language skills yet to plead an articulate case to the refs, but do not confuse pouting with working the referees, because the pouting he does is never going to make the next call go his way.
        Seriously? They may not pout, but they are career complainers. Hell, TD gives that wide eyed innocent look to the refs after virtually every foul call of his entire career. In his mind, according to those looks, he has never committed a foul.

Comment

bahahahahaha....not career complainers? What, you think LeBron waited until he was MVP or a Champion before he started that?

You are unfairly picking on JV for what nearly EVERY player does.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

yousefelso wrote: View Post
            I feel like whenever he gets the ball in the post there is no way he is passing it back out and teams are starting to double him and he isn't making those hook. I realize this may be because he wants to take all the shots he can due to not getting many early on in the season. But I think its clear now that the Raptors will pass to him when he's in a good position.
            Not really. They still frequently look him off a lot even when he's wide open at the rim. He's the player who has somehow benefitted the least from the Gay trade from a FGA perspective, having only gone up by 0.3 attempts (I checked this about a month ago, and at that point he was the only regular whose attempts had gone down, so now he's had an uptick in the last month).

Not excusing his not passing....but the team does not always pass to him when he's in good position. For instance I was at the NOP game, and there were easily 4-5 times he was open (either on the roll or because the Pelicans D was scrambling) right at the basket with nobody within 6-7 feet of him. The team has to find a way to get him the ball in a couple of those situations, because they are such easy points, and will help get him into a rhythm.

*They've probably done a better job getting him the ball in the post...but he needs more touches in other situations, especially ones like I mention above, where he's just wide open because of missed rotations and the team can't find a way to get a pass in.

Comment

bahahahahaha....not career complainers? What, you think LeBron waited until he was MVP or a Champion before he started that?

You are unfairly picking on JV for what nearly EVERY player does.
              Seriously...And those veterans do not "pick their battles". Some of them even argue and act out on totally obvious calls (or non-calls).

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Seriously...And those veterans do not "pick their battles". Some of them even argue and act out on totally obvious calls (or non-calls).
                haha yup. I love it when LeBron clearly fouls a guy, get's whistled and then complains about it. It's like dude, you fouled him, no biggie, just accept it. He argues calls even when the foul was the right play by him.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Kendrick Perkins comes to mind. This man is legitimately shocked everytime a foul is called on him. I think 90% of calls are "bad calls" in players' minds but it's part of the game.

Jonas needs alot of growing up to do: physically, mentally & skill-wise. His body language is only concerning from the perspective that refs may not appreciate that. He still tries on the very next play. I'd rather have him like this than someone who checks out when things don't go his way. But I agree, he has alot of growing up to do.

My take has always been - he'll start putting everything together in his 5th year, much like DeRozan.
                  “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
                    Kendrick Perkins comes to mind. This man is legitimately shocked everytime a foul is called on him. I think 90% of calls are "bad calls" in players' minds but it's part of the game.

Jonas needs alot of growing up to do: physically, mentally & skill-wise. His body language is only concerning from the perspective that refs may not appreciate that. He still tries on the very next play. I'd rather have him like this than someone who checks out when things don't go his way. But I agree, he has alot of growing up to do.

My take has always been - he'll start putting everything together in his 5th year, much like DeRozan.
                    Though I expect he'll still be growing after 5 years, I think he may well put it mostly together before that. One of the oft ignored assets that DeMar provides this team is the example he sets for the young guys (even though he's one himself) of how consistent hard work pays off. The team having success, getting playoff experience are also going to be big factors in his growth.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                      Jonas just needs some caressing downtime with the gf and some real PnR action with Lowry to settle his blues.
                      Awkward? Creepy? Both?
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

haha yup. I love it when LeBron clearly fouls a guy, get's whistled and then complains about it. It's like dude, you fouled him, no biggie, just accept it. He argues calls even when the foul was the right play by him.
                        Lol, reminds me of Ken Griffey's baseball for the good ol' SNES. Even when you strike out swinging, the batter would turn around and yell to the ump, "oh c'mon!"

Comment

A lot of JVs problems result from the mismatch between the messages and expectations coming from the organization (i.e. he's the future face of the franchise, star in the making, the only untouchable) and how he's treated on the court by his teammates and coaches. When you're basically told that you're the franchise's most important piece moving forward, you're going to try and live up to those expectations with your play. Yet, when your team provides more opportunities to recently signed rotation players (Hansbrough only attempts 1 less shot per game, while playing a little over half as many minutes) you're going to get frustrated. Granted, some of the onus here falls on JV, but as a big man, he's almost completely dependent upon the team's guards to provide him with scoring opportunities. And, as a young player, its not uncommon for these frustrations to materialize as undesirable behavior on the court.
                          As far as repeating the same mistakes over and over, the nba season provides few opportunities for players to improve in season, as there's little time to conduct indepth individual performance reviews, focus on subtle nuances or work on specific aspects of your game. Practice time is very valuable, and is thus mostly used to implement and practice defensive schemes, offensive sets and game plans. So, I'll reserve my judgments for next season, as those kinds of improvements are exactly what the summer's for (which, by the way, wasn't possible for JV last year between playing for his national team, summer league and training camp).
                          Being a Toronto Raptors fan is like being in an abusive relationship... Every time you've reached your breaking point after years of disappointment and neglect, they do just enough to give you hope for the future... Only to let you down again.

Here's hoping 2014-2015 breaks the cycle!!! #WeTheNorth

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                            Has anyone ever met him in person?

It looks like he's very sensitive dude.
                            I met him, he's is a nice kid...but just that, a kid.

He'll be fine.

I worry more about his offensive skills than his attitude.

Comment

Abused Raptors Fan wrote: View Post
                              A lot of JVs problems result from the mismatch between the messages and expectations coming from the organization (i.e. he's the future face of the franchise, star in the making, the only untouchable) and how he's treated on the court by his teammates and coaches. When you're basically told that you're the franchise's most important piece moving forward, you're going to try and live up to those expectations with your play. Yet, when your team provides more opportunities to recently signed rotation players (Hansbrough only attempts 1 less shot per game, while playing a little over half as many minutes) you're going to get frustrated. Granted, some of the onus here falls on JV, but as a big man, he's almost completely dependent upon the team's guards to provide him with scoring opportunities. And, as a young player, its not uncommon for these frustrations to materialize as undesirable behavior on the court.
                              As far as repeating the same mistakes over and over, the nba season provides few opportunities for players to improve in season, as there's little time to conduct indepth individual performance reviews, focus on subtle nuances or work on specific aspects of your game. Practice time is very valuable, and is thus mostly used to implement and practice defensive schemes, offensive sets and game plans. So, I'll reserve my judgments for next season, as those kinds of improvements are exactly what the summer's for (which, by the way, wasn't possible for JV last year between playing for his national team, summer league and training camp).
                              1. ha, don't confuse fans' narratives with messages the team is sending him

2. Hansbrough "1 less shot per game"? What stats are you looking at? That's simply not true, but you're watching different games than everybody else if you see Hansbrough getting more opportunities based on what the team does for him. The vast majority of his come from crashing the boards, and getting them himself.

Comment

salmon wrote: View Post
                                1. ha, don't confuse fans' narratives with messages the team is sending him

2. Hansbrough "1 less shot per game"? What stats are you looking at? That's simply not true, but you're watching different games than everybody else if you see Hansbrough getting more opportunities based on what the team does for him. The vast majority of his come from crashing the boards, and getting them himself.
                                I agree with both your points.

JV right now is just not a very good offensive weapon for us. He's still got a lot of growing up to do on both ends of the floor. If he puts in the hard work to improve, i think he will become a great player for us. Until then, its unrealistic for people to expect him to be a HUGE part of our offence.

JV needs a consistent mid-range shot. He needs to take that shot and make it from time to time. Simple as that. He also needs to convert better around the rim as i see him miss a ton of easy baskets (most recently he went 1 for 9 from the field vs Atlanta). I must admit i see improvements in his defence, but his offensive improvements ....... Hopefully, he comes back from the break with a little more confidence after playing in the rising stars game friday night.

Comment

Working...
                                X