JV needs to grow up a little bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JV needs to grow up a little bit

I like JV. I think he's got some skills. I don't know if he's the future of the franchise, but I think he's going to be a great centre in this league for a long time. But there are two things he does, multiple times every game, that drive me nuts, and really shows his age. On the offensive end, when there's a no-call, he waits a few seconds before running back to play defence. He throws his arms in the air. In the Atlanta game I've already seen it happen twice where it lead to his man getting a basket at the other end, and it's still the first half. It's been happening all season and I have no idea why the coaching staff hasn't corrected it. Jonas has no problem sprinting like a horse after sending an outlet pass. He can run fast.

The other thing that makes him seem kind of childish is that he never, ever accepts a foul being called on him. Obviously there are going to be questionable calls. But every time, JV goes for the Oscar: "who, me!?" or he does his patented wrist-drop dismissal gesture that's already garnered him a tech or two. The kid needs to learn to focus on the game no matter what is going on with the refs, and not expect to get bailed out with a whistle when he misses a rebound battle.

Agree on the first part, disagree on the second. He accepts it when he fouled someone.

I would like to see him get less angry with the throwing of elbows after confrontations though, he keeps going like this and I can see a 3-game suspension in his near future.

Comment

At 21 I'd say he has a lot of growing up to do

Comment

Bigs take the longest to develop. Jonas is a pup. Give him time to blossom
        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Has anyone ever met him in person?

It looks like he's very sensitive dude.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
            Has anyone ever met him in person?

It looks like he's very sensitive dude.
            I mean just look at that smile, says innocence all over it!
            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

navyblues wrote: View Post
              I like JV. I think he's got some skills. I don't know if he's the future of the franchise, but I think he's going to be a great centre in this league for a long time. But there are two things he does, multiple times every game, that drive me nuts, and really shows his age. On the offensive end, when there's a no-call, he waits a few seconds before running back to play defence. He throws his arms in the air. In the Atlanta game I've already seen it happen twice where it lead to his man getting a basket at the other end, and it's still the first half. It's been happening all season and I have no idea why the coaching staff hasn't corrected it. Jonas has no problem sprinting like a horse after sending an outlet pass. He can run fast.

The other thing that makes him seem kind of childish is that he never, ever accepts a foul being called on him. Obviously there are going to be questionable calls. But every time, JV goes for the Oscar: "who, me!?" or he does his patented wrist-drop dismissal gesture that's already garnered him a tech or two. The kid needs to learn to focus on the game no matter what is going on with the refs, and not expect to get bailed out with a whistle when he misses a rebound battle.
              totally agree on both points... but to me this only scratches the surface of what bothers me about him... in a nutshell blanket statement: he does not learn from the same mistakes time and time again... continues to make the same simple mistakes every single game.. things that are easily corrected with focus... but like everyone says I guess.. he's young.

Comment

FoxMachine wrote: View Post
                .. things that are easily corrected with focus...
                Focusing isn't easy.

Comment

navyblues wrote: View Post
                  I'd like to see the list players that don't do this. The NBA game is such that basically every call is argued a little bit; it's a psychological battle with the refs. Work him over for long enough, he might actually believe you. I don't think it's fair to criticism JV for doing something that nearly every player in the league does.

Some examples of some pretty good players:

Last edited by Axel; Thu Feb 13, 2014, 09:14 AM.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                    Bigs take the longest to develop. Jonas is a pup. Give him time to blossom
                    This mantra usually applies to a player's game, not necessarily their mental maturity. What the OP is discussing isn't affected by the position Jonas plays.

Comment

Bigs take the longest to develop their game, but it doesn't just happen naturally.
                      It takes effort, hard work and determination.
                      Jonas was showing that early after the trade, but i do feel like his mental game has regressed.

He's barely a starter yet, he has to realize that.

EDIT: That came off a little harsher than I intended. I don't think he's blowing it, but I'd love to see him keep focusing on the little things.
                      "Bruno?
                      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Jonas just needs some caressing downtime with the gf and some real PnR action with Lowry to settle his blues.

Comment

I feel like whenever he gets the ball in the post there is no way he is passing it back out and teams are starting to double him and he isn't making those hook. I realize this may be because he wants to take all the shots he can due to not getting many early on in the season. But I think its clear now that the Raptors will pass to him when he's in a good position.

Comment

Jonas is going to be fine. Aside from understandable need to develop his skills, and continue to learn about, and adapt to the level of opponents in the NBA, he's struggling with both physical, leading to mental fatigue of an 82 game schedule right now. Remember how much better he was in the 2nd half last year? He didn't have to deal with that schedule last year, as he was out for 5 weeks, 20 games, smack in the middle of the season. He'll get used to the grind that is the NBA as he matures, but I sure hope he gets plenty of rest during this break.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                              I'd like to see the list players that don't do this. The NBA game is such that basically every call is argued a little bit; it's a psychological battle with the refs. Work him over for long enough, he might actually believe you. I don't think it's fair to criticism JV for doing something that nearly every player in the league does.

I know he's not the only one in the league who complains about calls. Give me a break. But the three gentlemen in the photos are not career complainers. Veterans like the ones depicted know that they should pick their battles. Kyle Lowry loves talking to the refs, and will always speak his mind. But that's not what JV does. JV acts like he just got rejected at the high school dance when a foul is called on him, sulks his way to the side of the key, or the bench, muttering. I realize he might not have the real-time language skills yet to plead an articulate case to the refs, but do not confuse pouting with working the referees, because the pouting he does is never going to make the next call go his way.

Comment

Working...
                              X