Everything VC: the man, the legacy, the possible return in '14-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
    i feel bringing vince carter back is more of a PR move than a basketball move and we don't need anymore of those ... he hasn't won any championships or anything so I don't see him bringing any valuable veteran advice or anything to this team ... its just a distraction to what the raptors is trying to build
    I disagree. He's played more playoff games than anyone on the roster and he'd be a better player than everyone of our bench players, except for maybe PP since he'll probably improve next year. The PR is a big part of it, but it would also make sense basketball wise

Comment

he would be 38 next year for the playoffs so how much do u expect from him?
      plus he would have to deal with all the drama of answering for his first tenure for the raptors
      we got a good thing here chemistry wise why do we want to bring those talking points to reporters to the raptors and all the drama it could possibility create

Comment

he would be 38 next year for the playoffs so how much do u expect from him?
        plus he would have to deal with all the drama of answering for his first tenure for the raptors
        we got a good thing here chemistry wise why do we want to bring those talking points to reporters to the raptors and all the drama it could possibility create
        My point is a 38 year old Carter under major pressure is still a way better option than Fields or Salmons. I don't see why we shouldn't pursue him if it's a clear upgrade

Comment

It's a huge PR move, there's no way to get around that.

However, VC is still an upgrade over Salmons. Fields, I dare not say, because I think Fields brings something completely different to the table than VC/Salmons do.

Fields, is a glue guy. Ball handler, smart player. He can't score, but he can do everything else.

Salmons/VC, are similar, because you sign them, to score off the bench. They play capable defense, but their job is to score.

Truthfully, it's a distraction, but, if VC comes back for a good price, to replace Salmons to give us some punch off the bench? I'm not going to complain. If he can keep up these numbers, which I don't see why he can't, since he's relying less and less on his athleticism because he simply doesn't have it as much anymore, and more on the "Old-Man" playing smart, I'd very happy.

We just need another Big, and maybe some extra scoring punch beside VC, and I think we have a very capable bench.

Comment

I'd rather have VC next year than Salmons, but I can also see contenders wooing Carter for a title run. Raptors can't afford to get into a bidding war for their 7th or 8th best player.
            You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

you got me on there ... he is an improvement on salmons and fields but im sure there is someone out there to fill this role that is not carter be it through the draft or free agency that is a lot younger and doesn't come with the same history as carter

for me I guess it comes back to when he left ... I don't think im still upset or bitter but my feeling is he left, he didn't want to be a part of the raptors ( no matter what that new documentary that came out this year tries to feed us ) so why do we want him back. he moved on so we should move on and we owe him nothing, there are plenty of guys out there for our bench that are younger and don't come with the baggage carter does

Comment

you got me on there ... he is an improvement on salmons and fields but im sure there is someone out there to fill this role that is not carter be it through the draft or free agency that is a lot younger and doesn't come with the same history as carter

for me I guess it comes back to when he left ... I don't think im still upset or bitter but my feeling is he left, he didn't want to be a part of the raptors ( no matter what that new documentary that came out this year tries to feed us ) so why do we want him back. he moved on so we should move on and we owe him nothing, there are plenty of guys out there for our bench that are younger and don't come with the baggage carter does
                It's tough finding quality bench wings who have multiple skills.

You can maybe get one in the draft, as long as you're ok with the fact that it could easily take him at least a year to adjust, in which case your bench stays a bit sketchy/inconsistent.

Free agency is a crapshoot. Hard to get reasonably priced players who can have an impact in multiple ways. Not impossible, but not even close to easy. I've looked over the free agent list a few times, and I have a real hard time finding anyone appealing. There are starter quality guys, and then pretty much all of the bench players are more limited than Carter.

I am ok with drafting one and developing him, and thus signing one or two more limited guys to round out the bench, but I also don't know that this will be a real option (depends on how draft night plays out), and from a strictly on-court perspective see a lot of merit to bringing in Carter.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  It's tough finding quality bench wings who have multiple skills.

You can maybe get one in the draft, as long as you're ok with the fact that it could easily take him at least a year to adjust, in which case your bench stays a bit sketchy/inconsistent.

Free agency is a crapshoot. Hard to get reasonably priced players who can have an impact in multiple ways. Not impossible, but not even close to easy. I've looked over the free agent list a few times, and I have a real hard time finding anyone appealing. There are starter quality guys, and then pretty much all of the bench players are more limited than Carter.

I am ok with drafting one and developing him, and thus signing one or two more limited guys to round out the bench, but I also don't know that this will be a real option (depends on how draft night plays out), and from a strictly on-court perspective see a lot of merit to bringing in Carter.
                  Agreed.

Can anybody think of comparable players, that put up Carter's numbers this season, that are also FAs?

Drafting is always ideal, but at the same time, it's a huge crapshoot IMHO. If you make a poor pick, or it doesn't pan out, what/who is left on the bench to put up some numbers? At least with Carter, you know what you're likely going to get, you get what I mean?

Comment

all right I can concede when you got me

I just hope it all works out from a public stand point and a locker room stand point ( not that carter is a cancer but we got a good locker room I would hate if the attention he garners brings animosity from players who are more deserving of the attention from Toronto)

Comment

The Point Forward ranked Carter as #86 in their top 100 countdown for best players in the league 2014:

Point Forward top 100

"Carter may well be the model for aging stars, as his wide array of skills makes him one of the most versatile supporting pieces in the league. Even in lesser form, Carter ranked as a top-15 scorer last season in both isolation and pick-and-roll situations, according to Synergy Sports. He defers to better offensive players without disappearing completely, shooting 39.8 percent on spot-up three-pointers for the Mavs and working surprisingly well off the ball. Carter also provides a post-up option and can leverage his strength advantage down low to set up open teammates on the perimeter. He’s no longer suited to be a full-time initiator of an offense or a first-option scorer, but Carter’s balanced game makes him ideal for his current utility role."

I think they sum it up better than most of the "Pro Carter Return" folks can. Unless you can find someone who fills this type of role for less money, why not Carter. If he wants to do the victory lap, and will take a few 100K less to redeem his image in his own mind, why not. I think he is a different person than he was 10 or 11 years ago. I think he has maturity and a higher level of wisdom than he did then. I don't think the Raps should cut off their nose to spite their face. If he is available on a better deal than someone else of similar capability, then pull the trigger.

BTW I have turned around 180 degrees on this in the last six months. I recognize that. But the Raps should make moves based on what works, what fits, and what will improve the teams chances of winning. An additional point that should not be lost is that "a PR move" might have the ability to improve the perception of the team in certain eyes (Durant? Wiggins? etc.) and also carry some weight in free agent signings.

Comment

phiLLy wrote: View Post
                        Agreed.

Can anybody think of comparable players, that put up Carter's numbers this season, that are also FAs?

Drafting is always ideal, but at the same time, it's a huge crapshoot IMHO. If you make a poor pick, or it doesn't pan out, what/who is left on the bench to put up some numbers? At least with Carter, you know what you're likely going to get, you get what I mean?
                        Isn't Paul Pierce a free agent this year. I'd take him over Carter at this point in their careers, plus he's a better leader and has a ring to speak of experience.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                          comparing him to ross? what for? i think everyone knows VC has been good off the bench for dallas.
                          I think a comparison to John Salmons would be more appropriate.

Comment

I don't expect Salmons to be here next season. If Vince would sign for the absolute minimum, for 1 year than so be it. I don't want him here but I wouldn't cry about it. But I may go to a game, fashion some paper airplanes that have fuck you quitter written on them, and proceed to direct them towards his head.

Comment

congrats we have all been brain washed by a targetted media campaign that started just before the Mavs visited...when journalists started telling us to forgive Carter etc...then Grange did his sportsnet special on him...and Masai dropped crumbs... I think at this point its practically guaranteed that he is coming back on a three year deal that looks a lot like 2.5 m 2.5m player option...2.5m player option, so he can retire whenever he decides.
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I can't be the only person that feels like Carter has been rammed down our throats by every outlet since February
                                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X