Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Simmons: The Worst Contracts in the NBA

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter Scraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    412
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Simmons: The Worst Contracts in the NBA

    Lots of Raptors-related stuff in here.

    http://grantland.com/features/bill-s...nba-contracts/

    25. Steve Novak: three years, $10.95 million
    24. Landry Fields: two years, $12.5 million
    Did you ever notice the Knicks and Raptors have been embroiled in a Fatal Attraction–type relationship since the 1990s? Somehow they’re both Michael Douglas and Glenn Close at the same time. New York won the Oakley-Camby trade and “won” when Toronto “strategically” signed Fields away (an all-time Atrocious GM moment by Bryan Colangelo). But Toronto won the Bargnani-Novak-Camby Bad Contract Tornado fiasco by scoring New York’s unprotected 2016 first-round pick. And when Toronto acquired Antonio Davis from New York for future Grantland Network star Jalen Rose and a 2006 first-rounder, that inadvertently became a tragic Knicks moment when they took Renaldo Balkman over Rajon Rondo. Also, when last December’s “Lowry-Felton-Shumpert–2018 no. 1” deal fell through, that sent Toronto on a winning tear while ruining New York’s season. And if you want to dig deeper, the Knicks were mortally wounded by two failed Toronto execs (Isiah Thomas, and then Glen Grunwald). Keep an eye on this. Also, I’m not gonna be IGNORED, Dan.
    Make sure to watch the Bargnani video, it's funny.

    And interesting that the Denver situation is starting to receive some attention too. If Lowry walks I think we're going to see the same kind of second-guessing here.... but the immediate concern is the trade deadline and what MU manages to pull off there.

    Here’s another one: Are we sure Masai Ujiri is that good?

    I love the way he thinks. But if you throw away the superb Carmelo trade (really a James Dolan panic trade more than anything), let the record show that he flipped Arron Afflalo (one of 2014’s best bargains) and a probable 2014 lottery pick16 for a one-and-done Iguodala; overpaid Nene and flipped him for the even-more-overpaid McGee; splurged more than $70 million on two small forwards (Wilson Chandler and Gallinari); then fled for Canada. And now, Denver is a lottery team. These are the facts. He kinda sorta maybe left behind a Dumpster fire, right? Then in Toronto, he dumped Andrea Bargnani’s deal for a first-rounder, made the savvy Rudy Gay trade and smartly held on to Kyle Lowr— oh yeah, Masai is definitely good! What was I thinking? My bad.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,662
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bill Simmons does funny well. Learned a lot of trivia there. The Nash video piece was really poignant and sad...too bad. Gawd the waste in the NBA.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London,ON
    Posts
    839
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Fields' contract is definitely one of the worst contracts in the league. 8.5 mil salary next year is ridiculous.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie Niagara Raptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Niagara Region
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWR3BtHNjFs

    make is easier for people to watch... its very funny

  5. Like sam_paul77, chch166 liked this post
  6. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    794
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    Fields' contract is definitely one of the worst contracts in the league. 8.5 mil salary next year is ridiculous.
    Bad contract regardless, but the cap value is $6.25 million next year, which makes more manageable (and slightly more tradable) than 8.5.
    tank-agnostic

  7. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,039
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWR3BtHNjFs

    make is easier for people to watch... its very funny


    Just slightly easier

  8. Like sam_paul77, Nilanka, BigCamB, Akkerman liked this post
  9. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter RaptorsFohEva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    Fields' contract is definitely one of the worst contracts in the league. 8.5 mil salary next year is ridiculous.
    We may have set a record for the highest paid 12th man in nba history...

  10. Like chch166 liked this post
  11. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
    We may have set a record for the highest paid 12th man in nba history...
    There have been players that didn't even play at all and collected huge salaries. Without research, off the top of my head, Gilbert Arenas, Stephen Marbury, and Eddie Curry come to mind from the pre amnesty days.

  12. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    371
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    "I love the way he thinks. But if you throw away the superb Carmelo trade (really a James Dolan panic trade more than anything), let the record show that he flipped Arron Afflalo (one of 2014’s best bargains) and a probable 2014 lottery pick16 for a one-and-done Iguodala; overpaid Nene and flipped him for the even-more-overpaid McGee; splurged more than $70 million on two small forwards (Wilson Chandler and Gallinari); then fled for Canada. And now, Denver is a lottery team. These are the facts. He kinda sorta maybe left behind a Dumpster fire, right? Then in Toronto, he dumped Andrea Bargnani’s deal for a first-rounder, made the savvy Rudy Gay trade and smartly held on to Kyle Lowr— oh yeah, Masai is definitely good! What was I thinking? My bad."

    Damn, Is MU's resume as GM in Denver really that BAD

  13. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star KazanTheMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,647
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post


    Just slightly easier
    never laughed so hard in my life. Thank you.
    "Masai WILL win us a championship"
    - Tim Leiweke

    Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

    Reporter: "How can you say that?"

    Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

  14. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So many lols, the song couldn't have fit more perfectly either.

  15. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    890
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Afflalo trade is hardly a black mark on Masai's tenure considering a major reason Iguodala left Denver was because he knew Masai and George Karl were gone. Wilson Chandler was signed to a quite good value contract and was intended to be a sixth man type. Galinari's contract is only problematic given the rash of injuries he had after signing, which is hardly Masai's fault. Trading away Nene for McGee was a smart trade.

    Bill Simmons is a fun writer, but he's the king of 20/20 hindsight - and more importantly, in his entire little bit there, he didn't mention the only real mistake Masai made in Denver, which was not trading for McGee (because McGee was expiring money) but re-signing him at $11m per year for four years.

  16. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    The Afflalo trade is hardly a black mark on Masai's tenure considering a major reason Iguodala left Denver was because he knew Masai and George Karl were gone. Wilson Chandler was signed to a quite good value contract and was intended to be a sixth man type. Galinari's contract is only problematic given the rash of injuries he had after signing, which is hardly Masai's fault. Trading away Nene for McGee was a smart trade.

    Bill Simmons is a fun writer, but he's the king of 20/20 hindsight - and more importantly, in his entire little bit there, he didn't mention the only real mistake Masai made in Denver, which was not trading for McGee (because McGee was expiring money) but re-signing him at $11m per year for four years.
    Exactly. The "fact" is that he traded Afflalo and a future first for Igoudala. Not a "one and done" Igoudala, because that's opinion. In my opinion, Denver wouldn't have hit 50 wins last season without Iggy's playmaking and veteran leadership. Be careful what you read, folks!

    As magoon mentioned, Bill Simmons also left out a whole slew of other facts, which is how he portrays his 20/20 hindsight views. Still very entertaining though .

    With that being said, Ujiri is not some be-all end-all saviour of Raptors basketball. He appears to be more patient than Colangelo, and he prefers small contracts and young players (even though he resigned Nene, which was a terrible contract, he flipped him for a younger McGee). Whether or not that translates into an NBA championship remains to be seen.

  17. #14
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    Exactly. The "fact" is that he traded Afflalo and a future first for Igoudala. Not a "one and done" Igoudala, because that's opinion. In my opinion, Denver wouldn't have hit 50 wins last season without Iggy's playmaking and veteran leadership. Be careful what you read, folks!

    As magoon mentioned, Bill Simmons also left out a whole slew of other facts, which is how he portrays his 20/20 hindsight views. Still very entertaining though .

    With that being said, Ujiri is not some be-all end-all saviour of Raptors basketball. He appears to be more patient than Colangelo, and he prefers small contracts and young players (even though he resigned Nene, which was a terrible contract, he flipped him for a younger McGee). Whether or not that translates into an NBA championship remains to be seen.
    And had Denver of re-upped Iggy for the money he got in G.S. where would Denver be now? Have you watched them play recently? They are going nowhere.

    Karl leaving obviously affected the team as well, but looking back at that roster and how the team is comprised, the Nuggets are not that good. They won a lot of regular season games last year but come playoff time got knocked out quick (yes, injuries but good teams fight through injuries).

    Also the McGee for Nene trade in hindsight is terrible. They resigned Mcgee and he hasn't done anything since. Masai has made a few decent trades since he's come back to Toronto but the jury is still out on him. I know Raps fans are making him out to be the next greatest thing since sliced bread but after BC and his reign you would think the locals would have learned their lesson in not giving the GM too much praise and trust and not enough scrutiny.

  18. #15
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Masai's made a couple of good moves in Toronto, but he'll be judged on his ability to build a title contender by 2017-18.

    Baby steps.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  19. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,089
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Masai's made a couple of good moves in Toronto, but he'll be judged on his ability to build a title contender by 2017-18.

    Baby steps.
    its all about the long term baby.

  20. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    890
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    And had Denver of re-upped Iggy for the money he got in G.S. where would Denver be now? Have you watched them play recently? They are going nowhere.
    That's mostly because Masai had a clear plan with respect to Denver which was interrupted when he left halfway through it to come here.

    The first step was acquiring a tier-2 star like Iggy. The second step was going extremely deep on starter-level talent because Masai is all about asset accumulation. The third step would have been "trade away three or four talented guys to get a star player" - someone like Kevin Love - because then you have Iggy, Love/your other star, Ty Lawson and still have a bunch of talented players backing them up, and that's a smart plan for a mid-market basketball team.

    If Masai hadn't left Denver in 2014? Denver probably re-signs Iggy; at least makes a bid in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes (they could have sign-and-traded pretty effectively for him with LA); kicks the tires on Josh Smith, Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap or Andrei Kirilenko; looks for that big trade to get someone like Love. And suddenly Denver is a juggernaut.

    Instead, what happened is: Denver lost its GM and fired its Coach of the Year-winning coach; Iggy saw disaster waiting to happen and left; Denver then stupidly traded Kosta Koufos, overpaid JJ Hickson and Nate Robinson, and hired a new coach who promptly alienated Andre Miller and demonstrated that he didn't know how to use Kenneth Faried properly.

  21. Like chch166 liked this post
  22. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter TSF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    That's mostly because Masai had a clear plan with respect to Denver which was interrupted when he left halfway through it to come here.

    The first step was acquiring a tier-2 star like Iggy. The second step was going extremely deep on starter-level talent because Masai is all about asset accumulation. The third step would have been "trade away three or four talented guys to get a star player" - someone like Kevin Love - because then you have Iggy, Love/your other star, Ty Lawson and still have a bunch of talented players backing them up, and that's a smart plan for a mid-market basketball team.

    If Masai hadn't left Denver in 2014? Denver probably re-signs Iggy; at least makes a bid in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes (they could have sign-and-traded pretty effectively for him with LA); kicks the tires on Josh Smith, Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap or Andrei Kirilenko; looks for that big trade to get someone like Love. And suddenly Denver is a juggernaut.

    Instead, what happened is: Denver lost its GM and fired its Coach of the Year-winning coach; Iggy saw disaster waiting to happen and left; Denver then stupidly traded Kosta Koufos, overpaid JJ Hickson and Nate Robinson, and hired a new coach who promptly alienated Andre Miller and demonstrated that he didn't know how to use Kenneth Faried properly.
    Agreed. Iggy+Lawson is a good start. Something like Chandler+McGee+Faried+2014 first rounder is awfully appealing. Or even flipping McGee and a first for Greg Monroe and use him at C. Lawson-Iggy-Gallinari-Faried-Monroe is dangerous. Plenty of options available in denver if they'd kept everyone around.

    Also, This is how you use Kenneth Faried properly:

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •