• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simmons: The Worst Contracts in the NBA

Lots of Raptors-related stuff in here.

http://grantland.com/features/bill-s...nba-contracts/

25. Steve Novak: three years, $10.95 million
    24. Landry Fields: two years, $12.5 million
    Did you ever notice the Knicks and Raptors have been embroiled in a Fatal Attraction–type relationship since the 1990s? Somehow they’re both Michael Douglas and Glenn Close at the same time. New York won the Oakley-Camby trade and “won” when Toronto “strategically” signed Fields away (an all-time Atrocious GM moment by Bryan Colangelo). But Toronto won the Bargnani-Novak-Camby Bad Contract Tornado fiasco by scoring New York’s unprotected 2016 first-round pick. And when Toronto acquired Antonio Davis from New York for future Grantland Network star Jalen Rose and a 2006 first-rounder, that inadvertently became a tragic Knicks moment when they took Renaldo Balkman over Rajon Rondo. Also, when last December’s “Lowry-Felton-Shumpert–2018 no. 1” deal fell through, that sent Toronto on a winning tear while ruining New York’s season. And if you want to dig deeper, the Knicks were mortally wounded by two failed Toronto execs (Isiah Thomas, and then Glen Grunwald). Keep an eye on this. Also, I’m not gonna be IGNORED, Dan.
    Make sure to watch the Bargnani video, it's funny.

And interesting that the Denver situation is starting to receive some attention too. If Lowry walks I think we're going to see the same kind of second-guessing here.... but the immediate concern is the trade deadline and what MU manages to pull off there.

Here’s another one: Are we sure Masai Ujiri is that good?

I love the way he thinks. But if you throw away the superb Carmelo trade (really a James Dolan panic trade more than anything), let the record show that he flipped Arron Afflalo (one of 2014’s best bargains) and a probable 2014 lottery pick16 for a one-and-done Iguodala; overpaid Nene and flipped him for the even-more-overpaid McGee; splurged more than $70 million on two small forwards (Wilson Chandler and Gallinari); then fled for Canada. And now, Denver is a lottery team. These are the facts. He kinda sorta maybe left behind a Dumpster fire, right? Then in Toronto, he dumped Andrea Bargnani’s deal for a first-rounder, made the savvy Rudy Gay trade and smartly held on to Kyle Lowr— oh yeah, Masai is definitely good! What was I thinking? My bad.

Bill Simmons does funny well. Learned a lot of trivia there. The Nash video piece was really poignant and sad...too bad. Gawd the waste in the NBA.

Comment

Fields' contract is definitely one of the worst contracts in the league. 8.5 mil salary next year is ridiculous.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWR3BtHNjFs

make is easier for people to watch... its very funny

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
          Fields' contract is definitely one of the worst contracts in the league. 8.5 mil salary next year is ridiculous.
          Bad contract regardless, but the cap value is $6.25 million next year, which makes more manageable (and slightly more tradable) than 8.5.

Comment

Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWR3BtHNjFs

make is easier for people to watch... its very funny

Just slightly easier

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
              We may have set a record for the highest paid 12th man in nba history...
              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
                We may have set a record for the highest paid 12th man in nba history...
                There have been players that didn't even play at all and collected huge salaries. Without research, off the top of my head, Gilbert Arenas, Stephen Marbury, and Eddie Curry come to mind from the pre amnesty days.

Comment

"I love the way he thinks. But if you throw away the superb Carmelo trade (really a James Dolan panic trade more than anything), let the record show that he flipped Arron Afflalo (one of 2014’s best bargains) and a probable 2014 lottery pick16 for a one-and-done Iguodala; overpaid Nene and flipped him for the even-more-overpaid McGee; splurged more than $70 million on two small forwards (Wilson Chandler and Gallinari); then fled for Canada. And now, Denver is a lottery team. These are the facts. He kinda sorta maybe left behind a Dumpster fire, right? Then in Toronto, he dumped Andrea Bargnani’s deal for a first-rounder, made the savvy Rudy Gay trade and smartly held on to Kyle Lowr— oh yeah, Masai is definitely good! What was I thinking? My bad."

Damn, Is MU's resume as GM in Denver really that BAD

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post

Just slightly easier
                    never laughed so hard in my life. Thank you.
                    "Masai WILL win us a championship"
                    - Tim Leiweke

Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

Reporter: "How can you say that?"

Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

Comment

So many lols, the song couldn't have fit more perfectly either.

Comment

The Afflalo trade is hardly a black mark on Masai's tenure considering a major reason Iguodala left Denver was because he knew Masai and George Karl were gone. Wilson Chandler was signed to a quite good value contract and was intended to be a sixth man type. Galinari's contract is only problematic given the rash of injuries he had after signing, which is hardly Masai's fault. Trading away Nene for McGee was a smart trade.

Bill Simmons is a fun writer, but he's the king of 20/20 hindsight - and more importantly, in his entire little bit there, he didn't mention the only real mistake Masai made in Denver, which was not trading for McGee (because McGee was expiring money) but re-signing him at $11m per year for four years.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                          The Afflalo trade is hardly a black mark on Masai's tenure considering a major reason Iguodala left Denver was because he knew Masai and George Karl were gone. Wilson Chandler was signed to a quite good value contract and was intended to be a sixth man type. Galinari's contract is only problematic given the rash of injuries he had after signing, which is hardly Masai's fault. Trading away Nene for McGee was a smart trade.

Bill Simmons is a fun writer, but he's the king of 20/20 hindsight - and more importantly, in his entire little bit there, he didn't mention the only real mistake Masai made in Denver, which was not trading for McGee (because McGee was expiring money) but re-signing him at $11m per year for four years.
                          Exactly. The "fact" is that he traded Afflalo and a future first for Igoudala. Not a "one and done" Igoudala, because that's opinion. In my opinion, Denver wouldn't have hit 50 wins last season without Iggy's playmaking and veteran leadership. Be careful what you read, folks!

As magoon mentioned, Bill Simmons also left out a whole slew of other facts, which is how he portrays his 20/20 hindsight views. Still very entertaining though .

With that being said, Ujiri is not some be-all end-all saviour of Raptors basketball. He appears to be more patient than Colangelo, and he prefers small contracts and young players (even though he resigned Nene, which was a terrible contract, he flipped him for a younger McGee). Whether or not that translates into an NBA championship remains to be seen.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                            Exactly. The "fact" is that he traded Afflalo and a future first for Igoudala. Not a "one and done" Igoudala, because that's opinion. In my opinion, Denver wouldn't have hit 50 wins last season without Iggy's playmaking and veteran leadership. Be careful what you read, folks!

As magoon mentioned, Bill Simmons also left out a whole slew of other facts, which is how he portrays his 20/20 hindsight views. Still very entertaining though .

With that being said, Ujiri is not some be-all end-all saviour of Raptors basketball. He appears to be more patient than Colangelo, and he prefers small contracts and young players (even though he resigned Nene, which was a terrible contract, he flipped him for a younger McGee). Whether or not that translates into an NBA championship remains to be seen.
                            And had Denver of re-upped Iggy for the money he got in G.S. where would Denver be now? Have you watched them play recently? They are going nowhere.

Karl leaving obviously affected the team as well, but looking back at that roster and how the team is comprised, the Nuggets are not that good. They won a lot of regular season games last year but come playoff time got knocked out quick (yes, injuries but good teams fight through injuries).

Also the McGee for Nene trade in hindsight is terrible. They resigned Mcgee and he hasn't done anything since. Masai has made a few decent trades since he's come back to Toronto but the jury is still out on him. I know Raps fans are making him out to be the next greatest thing since sliced bread but after BC and his reign you would think the locals would have learned their lesson in not giving the GM too much praise and trust and not enough scrutiny.

Comment

Masai's made a couple of good moves in Toronto, but he'll be judged on his ability to build a title contender by 2017-18.

Baby steps.

Comment

Working...
                              X