Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Casey pull the reins in on Derozan isolation's down the stretch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should of ran a play which results in a DD making the shot not straight up Iso from the start, or at least should of helped him with a screen set. DD will get it soon enough also the guy had 32 points he hits big shots all the time.... the other guys have to help him out.

Don't let your love of epic buzzer beaters belittle what DeMar is doing this season.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      Rudy Gay was proven big shot maker. He wants DD to develop into that. In the long run it will be best for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Can't see it happening. DeRozan's been in the league for 5 years now, and still hasn't developed the ball-handling skills required to break down a defender in an isolation. There's very little reason to think he'll develop this fundamental skill 6-10 years into his career.

This was simply a gaffe by Casey.
      Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Feb 20, 2014, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Rudy Gay was proven big shot maker. He wants DD to develop into that. In the long run it will be best for the team.

He's on the last year on his contract with a new GM. He's not thinking past "win as much games as possible." The comparison to Rudy is also not a good one here considering Rudy was/is a much better ballhandler than Demar at this point, which is what is crucial for ISO plays to begin with.

Not to mention, you can STILL have DD develop into that with better play calling. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Until he has better handles, this is NOT something you go for if you want to win.
        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Agree to disagree than gentlemen.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

It's called player development fellas. Obviously Dd has more of certain future on this team than Lowry. By Casey putting him in these situations now it prepares him for the future. Casey has said numerous times that development is still one of the priorities.

I agree. DD is also developing into that number 1 option for this team. Clearly he's not a closer yet, but he's only 24 and hopefully will learn from these experiences.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
              I agree. DD is also developing into that number 1 option for this team. Clearly he's not a closer yet, but he's only 24 and hopefully will learn from these experiences.
              24 doesn't get an "Only" beside it in the NBA.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                Here's a fun stat:

In the last minute of a game where we trail by 3-point or less this season (12 times this has happened this season) Demar Derozan is.................................2 for 11!!!!!!
                He did go 3 for 4 from the line is such situations, but 0 for 2 from 3.

Kyle Lowry is 2 for 4, and 1 for 2 from 3.

Edit:
                Here's the page if you want to play around with the different situations to see how little Casey pays attention to these stats.
                http://stats.nba.com/leaguePlayerClu...rowsPerPage=25
                Hey stat geek, do you not watch games?!?!? Don't you remember that buzzer beater at Orlando last year???

Betta recognize, son!

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Hey stat geek, do you not watch games?!?!? Don't you remember that buzzer beater at Orlando last year???

Betta recognize, son!

Comment

Here's a fun stat:

In the last minute of a game where we trail by 3-point or less this season (12 times this has happened this season) Demar Derozan is.................................2 for 11!!!!!!
                    He did go 3 for 4 from the line is such situations, but 0 for 2 from 3.

Kyle Lowry is 2 for 4, and 1 for 2 from 3.

Edit:
                    Here's the page if you want to play around with the different situations to see how little Casey pays attention to these stats.
                    http://stats.nba.com/leaguePlayerClu...rowsPerPage=25
                    And we're not talking about a bunch of near misses. We're talking airballs, blocked shots, contested shots with no hope of going in. Plus turnovers, which aren't counted here.

I've enjoyed Demar's season so far, but our end of game strategy clearly needs work.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

And all this support of this decision is still overlooking key elements:

-Breaking his man down off the dribble is far from DD's strength. This doesn't mean he'll never get better at it. It just means you don't run tons of iso plays for him. Many of his plays in game, even where he ends up in a de facto "iso" are with him coming around screens, meaning if he acts quickly he has some space to work with, or that the defender is somewhat off balance or out of position. And a lot of other plays are assisted by a screener. Giving him the ball at the top and asking him to create something out of nothing is a low % play for him. And it doesn't have to be the play you run. There are lots of quality scorers in the history of the game who would need a proper play run for them to create some space, who you wouldn't run an iso for even to take the last shot. It's not a big deal to not be an elite one-on-one clutch player.

-Jimmy Butler is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. You definitely don't run iso plays to attack him. That's just insanity. It's even an uninspired play if you have LeBron or KD, and the big reason it's mostly acceptable with those guys isn't just that they're elite talents, but that they have the size/athleticism to shoot over just about any perimeter defender. If you run a more complex play, you may even force a switch, so that then even if it ends up in an iso situation, it could be a better matchup. It was a truly basic play that was, again, likely the lowest % possibility available to the Raptors if they wanted to give DeMar the shot.

Comment

24 doesn't get an "Only" beside it in the NBA.
                        If you say so.

Comment

Can't see it happening. DeRozan's been in the league for 5 years now, and still hasn't developed the ball-handling skills required to break down a defender in an isolation. There's very little reason to think he'll develop this fundamental skill 6-10 years into his career.

This was simply a gaffe by Casey.
                          Now where have i seen this written before.....hmmm.... rinse and repeat. Sounds very similar to the argument you made last year. I guess we'll see won't we?

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                            Now where have i seen this written before.....hmmm.... rinse and repeat. Sounds very similar to the argument you made last year. I guess we'll see won't we?
                            Except, he HASN'T improved his ball handling since last year....

Besides, this is less about DeRozan, and more about Casey being an idiot.

Comment

Demar improves on things whenever he focuses in on improving those specific things in the off season.
                              There is no reason to believe that if he goes into the off season and focuses on getting a better handle that he wont improve.
                              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Besides, this is less about DeRozan, and more about Casey being an idiot.
                                This. Very much this.

Comment

Working...
                                X