Primetime Games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primetime Games?

Not even being a homer here or anything. But this Raptors team is pretty fun to watch. They have 2 all stars in Lowry and DeRozan who are both fun to watch. They have Terrence Ross who is slowly making a name for himself. Raptors are a good team a playoff team. They're currently #3 in the East. How come they never get to play on a TNT or ESPN primetime games?

Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think TNT has ever broadcasted a Raptors regular season game ever. And i think the last time ESPN broadcasted a Raptors game was back in the Vince Carter days.

What would it take for the Raptors to get on ESPN and TNT??
    Mamba Mentality

Because it's canada, and we're not a prestigious team. Shoot, we're usually on TSN2, forget primetime
    @Boymusic66

Comment

I honestly don't know about the TNT thing. I feel like they did at some point, but who could remember now?

I don't think it'll take that much. Also have to remember TV schedules are set pretty much in the summer, especially for TNT. As long as they keep playing well, they'll at least get an odd game here or there on ESPN (think they had at least one or two in the playoff Bosh years). The thing is, there basically has to be enough buzz about them that even casual fans in the US would have some interest in seeing them.

Comment

The broadcasting schedule is determined in the summer before the season. That's why you keep seeing the Knicks & Lakers on ESPN and TNT even though they are both horrible teams
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
          The broadcasting schedule is determined in the summer before the season. That's why you keep seeing the Knicks & Lakers on ESPN and TNT even though they are both horrible teams
          Yep. It's not an "on the fly" thing because you have to prep for broadcasts in advance. Games get moved occasionally due to certain circumstances, but they're not going to dump all the Lakers/Knicks stuff to put Raptors games on in the USA.

Raptors were on TNT last spring I believe, and I think it was the first time in a long time.
          You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

Playoffs and winning will fix this problem
            You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

We also have to keep in mind, like someone else already pointed out, that we're in Canada. TNT is an American TV network catering to an American audience. This means that more often than not, they will show games that feature American teams. Given the choice between the equally exciting Raptors and blazers, 11 times out of 10 they'll pick the blazers. Winning will probably fix it, like everyone is saying, but I think you have to couple that with an exciting brand o' basketball.

Remember when Vince was here? ESPN loved showing Raptors games, he was the most exciting guy in the league. How else would KD have grown up watching him play?

*at least Matty D does some TNT broadcasts come playoff time. "If the raptors can't get on TNT, ill make sure they have a representative in the playoffs!" How will that work now that he has to call it for TSN come April? Hopefully we get some good colour guys to come in for Leo/Jack
              A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Wasn't the Lakers game on TNT or ESPN ... you know the night when Kobe came back. Or was it just NBA TV?

Comment

I'm not sure that winning would make a difference. As mentioned already we're in Canada. You have to think about why the network chooses the teams they choose. They need to advertise, and to do that they need to maximize their viewership. Lakers are terrible, but the Lakers have fans all over the world. Raptors simply do not.

Think of it this way -- how many Spurs games are on TNT/ESPN? Not a whole lot, and they've been a winning team for 20 years. When was the last time the Knicks made it to the NBA Finals? Yet they're shown all the time.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

ebrian nailed it. Everyone knew the Lakers were gonna suck this year with Kobe out. But with such a broad fanbase, tons of people will watch regardless. Simply not the case with the Raps.
                    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

As a result of ESPN choosing to broadcast the Houston Rockets against the Phoenix Suns, the Lakers have lost three nationally televised games this season and there might be more to come.

One of the main reasons for the lack of interest in the Lakers on a national stage has been the absence of Kobe Bryant. The superstar guard has only played six games this season and there’s no telling when he’ll return to the floor.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-n...me/2014/02/10/

TV schedule can change in the middle of the season.

Lakers for example dropped from 3 national games this year.

Even their home sellout streak ended in November this year after 7 straight years.

Schedule is done in the late summer/early fall.

As for Raps on national US television. Are they a perennial contender? Do they have a superstar in the KD or LBJ mold? Are they elite?

What would be benefit for US television to show a Canadian team? Most of the viewers are going to be in Canada where their service is not permitted. It would be like Portland running a Knicks game with New York advertising. Why would you do that?

You want US coverage on TNT/ESPN? Get an elite, exciting superstar or make the playoffs.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                        I'm not sure that winning would make a difference. As mentioned already we're in Canada. You have to think about why the network chooses the teams they choose. They need to advertise, and to do that they need to maximize their viewership. Lakers are terrible, but the Lakers have fans all over the world. Raptors simply do not.

Think of it this way -- how many Spurs games are on TNT/ESPN? Not a whole lot, and they've been a winning team for 20 years. When was the last time the Knicks made it to the NBA Finals? Yet they're shown all the time.
                        That's about more than just fans- Spurs have always had a good fanbase. They're just so boring to the casual fan that it hurts ratings. It helps being a huge franchise, and it helps winning, but you also have to be exciting.
                        @Boymusic66

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          TV schedule can change in the middle of the season.

Lakers for example dropped from 3 national games this year.

Even their home sellout streak ended in November this year after 7 straight years.

Schedule is done in the late summer/early fall.

As for Raps on national US television. Are they a perennial contender? Do they have a superstar in the KD or LBJ mold? Are they elite?

What would be benefit for US television to show a Canadian team? Most of the viewers are going to be in Canada where their service is not permitted. It would be like Portland running a Knicks game with New York advertising. Why would you do that?

You want US coverage on TNT/ESPN? Get an elite, exciting superstar or make the playoffs.
                          As you and others have noted, winning is what gets you on these networks, as demonstrated by the the VC era Raps who were featured regularly on NBC and TNT broadcasts. Given their resurgence this season, I would not be surprised to see the Raps on a couple of TNT and/or ESPN broadcasts next season.

Geography is not a TV broadcast limitation for the other 29 NBA teams; thus, the Raptors should not be an exception -- especially when the team is a positive NBA story and features multiple all star caliber players.

There are a lot of games on this schedule that make one ask, as you say, "why would you do that?"

"What would be benefit for US television to show ___ [insert mediocre team here] ____

^ This is not a question unique to the Raptors. This is a very valid question for the 18 NBA teams with records inferior to the Raptors (most of who have been awarded National TV time).

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/8/6/459...al-tv-schedule
                          Last edited by rseal; Thu Feb 20, 2014, 10:43 AM.

Comment

The raptors, hawks game last season was on TNT,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi2v8TdRFaQ
                            Live. Breath. Sleep. Raptors

Comment

TorontoRaptors4Eva wrote: View Post
                              The raptors, hawks game last season was on TNT,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi2v8TdRFaQ
                              It was pretty much TNT's only option to replace the Celtics game that was cancelled/postponed (?) after the Boston marathon bombing.

Comment

Working...
                              X