Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Buyout/Late-Season Signing Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote caccia wrote: View Post
    We need a small forward! Even if Granger is but a shadow of his former self, due to his knees, the guy is still clutch.
    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    And it would likely be a minimum deal to come off the bench. Would definitely be worth considering. Would he consider TO though? Can see a few top teams looking into him...anyone who could use wing depth/insurance basically
    From reading the various insider type rumors out there, it seems like Granger wants to be bought-out so he can sign with a title contender. However, Philly likes the idea of keeping him for his Bird-rights, to use as an asset in an offseason S&T deal.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this, but I hope Philly stands their ground and keeps him on their roster, even if he doesn't play. I hate moves like this where players use loopholes to make the best teams better (Davis is another example). It would be better to see players waived after the trade deadline treated like amnestied players, where teams bid on them, with lowest ranked teams getting the first choice to sign them.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Initial rumours are the Spurs and Heat may look to sign him. Not sure he goes to the Heat. Not a great opportunity in a crowded wing situation.

Spurs, Clippers, Portland, even Houston...are all teams I think he could fit and get good playing time. Still have to consider it's essentially a contract year for him, and going to the Heat to be a seldom-used player is basically admitting he'll be a minimum-value guy from here on out. Can see him preferring a team where he gets the chance to play (*cough* Toronto *cough*) so that maybe he can pursue a mid-level type deal in the summer. Maybe even OKC.

3. Like caccia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    From reading the various insider type rumors out there, it seems like Granger wants to be bought-out so he can sign with a title contender. However, Philly likes the idea of keeping him for his Bird-rights, to use as an asset in an offseason S&T deal.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this, but I hope Philly stands their ground and keeps him on their roster, even if he doesn't play. I hate moves like this where players use loopholes to make the best teams better (Davis is another example). It would be better to see players waived after the trade deadline treated like amnestied players, where teams bid on them, with lowest ranked teams getting the first choice to sign them.
    He'll be an UFA though. They'll have his bird rights, but that's a very minor factor when a guy isn't likely to get a big or long deal. Can't see it as a very big asset, or a situation where it will necessarily be in Granger's best interest to agree to a S&T.

Then there's also the politics of the league. Philly forces him to stay on their roster even if he's unhappy, they also piss off his agent and create some negativity around their franchise. And Philly already doesn't have the best reputation as a city/organization to play for.

Raptors Republic Rookie Skip2MyLou's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You win

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Wouldn't mind him off the bench. But i'm afraid casey will start him and bench T Ross indefinitely
    Vets win games
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Bobcats are in buyout talks with Ben Gordon, Pistons talking with Charlie Villaneuva.

I would say "nnnnnnope" to both of them.

Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would consider signing Gordon as our sixh man. We need a scorer on our second unit and Salmons looks content just to pass up shots. Slamons and Gordon on the wing, sounds good to me

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We just added De Colo to play along side Salmons...why would we go out and sign Gordon now?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

There's also an infusion of talented players about to be available as the Chinese/European leagues end for the year. There are even players who remain unsigned from the summer available. The question is whether management is willing to spend even more money on players who aren't even on the roster this year. They already waived Augustine and Quentin Richardson, bought out Camby, and amnestied Kleiza. According to Basketball-reference.com, the Raptors are less than a million under the luxury tax line, and have a cap hit of almost $8mil from players no longer on the roster already. I just don't think Ujiri makes any further moves, regardless ofhow mmuch we might need to make one :S

Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    We just added De Colo to play along side Salmons...why would we go out and sign Gordon now?
    Can you even compare the two! Ben Gordon is a proven scorer and a very talented one at that. If you can sign him for the remainder of the season, there's nothing to lose

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why any people are high on Gordon. He was basically a cancer in Charlotte. He was a chucker everywhere he's been. I wouldn't want him on my team, and hope the Raps don't sign him. Don't think Masai will sign an aging chucker...at least I hope not.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Feb 21st, 2014 at 04:02 PM.

14. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of useful guys that will be available. I really hope that De Colo was a prelude to cutting Stone and adding a Kaman or the like. We are way too small for the playoffs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    Can you even compare the two! Ben Gordon is a proven scorer and a very talented one at that. If you can sign him for the remainder of the season, there's nothing to lose
    Was a proven scorer, Charlotte is getting rid of him because they are replacing him and Sessions with Neal and Ridnour....how good can he still be?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    He'll be an UFA though. They'll have his bird rights, but that's a very minor factor when a guy isn't likely to get a big or long deal. Can't see it as a very big asset, or a situation where it will necessarily be in Granger's best interest to agree to a S&T.

Then there's also the politics of the league. Philly forces him to stay on their roster even if he's unhappy, they also piss off his agent and create some negativity around their franchise. And Philly already doesn't have the best reputation as a city/organization to play for.
    What about honoring your contract? Granger should be a great mentor for Philly's young players, but he's apparently demanding a buyout so he can selfishly pursue a championship with a contender who will acquire him for way below fair market value. I don't see how Philly is doing anything wrong here, unless they tell him to stay home and not bother even dressing (which I haven't heard about at this point).

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    Ben Gordon was a proven scorer 4 years ago...he has fallen a long way since then. He is a negative player when he steps on the court, all he does is chuck it up a some of the worst shooting percentages in the league.

De Colo doesn't score as much, but is more efficient and a better passer than Gordon. A better team guy and I think a much better fit with our team. Also younger and could be a solid bench type contributor in the future. Gordon is a blah move now that would only get worse with time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    What about honoring your contract? Granger should be a great mentor for Philly's young players, but he's apparently demanding a buyout so he can selfishly pursue a championship with a contender who will acquire him for way below fair market value. I don't see how Philly is doing anything wrong here, unless they tell him to stay home and not bother even dressing (which I haven't heard about at this point).
    I'm sorry...but what young players? The guy they're holding out for the whole season to tank (Noel)? The PG who already has good leadership qualities (MCW)? Do they have a single other young player who's really in their long-term plans? Thaddeus Young....who they openly shopped as they steamroll ahead with their tank job?

He's clearly not in Philly's plans. They acquired him so he could expire. I doubt they give 2 shits about what actual contributions he could make in the short time he would be there. So if the primary reason is they want his money coming off the books, why isn't it good politics to buy him out as soon as possible, rather than let a disgruntled veteran sit on your bench and be pissed.

I don't think Granger is in the right to want a buyout, but it's definitely understandable for a guy who worked to come back from an injury to help a contender only to be traded by that contender (who also drafted him and who he's busted his ass for his whole career). I don't think it's the worst kind of selfish.

Philly isn't doing anything wrong, but I don't see them as really having anything to gain by keeping him around if he'll be unhappy, while cutting him lose can't hurt a team that, again, does not have a great reputation with players in the league (not at all helped by their awful fanbase too).

Raptors Republic Starter 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the NBA'a all-time leading scorer Kareem Abdul-Jabaar is available. Could always use a scoring big.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Philly basically traded Turner for a second rounder. Turner and Allen were both expiring as well (they could have just renounced their rights). It was really a bad trade for them. A 2nd rounder from Indiana? Might have just kept Turner. I'm sure he could have been worth something in a s&t in the off season.

I guess they just really wanted to tank hard.

Raptors Republic Starter rapfan10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Earl Clark was traded to Philly... But can someone confirm he was released. I heard that he got released and I would mind him for an assurance wing instead of bricking shots with STONEs. Also for size at 5... Would anyone consider Jason Collins?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thread Information