Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this season a success if we make the play offs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jclaw wrote: View Post
    I'll post this is in the game thread also but I think it speaks to some of the success of the team this year. There may be some bad teams but everyone gets to play against them.

This year is a very unusual year. Almost half of the league is tanking and few others have been decimated by injuries ...

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
      This year is a very unusual year. Almost half of the league is tanking and few others have been decimated by injuries ...
      Or perhaps the new norm with the new CBA now fully in effect.

Comment

Do you guys realize if we didn't release Augustin Bulls wouldn't be this good, and we'd be 31-24 right now? Hah

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
          15 teams are tanking this year? B.S. Really? Name them.

Comment

JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
            Do you guys realize if we didn't release Augustin Bulls wouldn't be this good, and we'd be 31-24 right now? Hah

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
            LMAO right. It's crazy how good he's playing for that team. I don't know if he would have played that well if he was still on our team though. I really think it's fit for him right now.
            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

It's the coaching, and the fit of the team.

Sometimes a change of scenery is good for people!

Comment

I'll post this is in the game thread also but I think it speaks to some of the success of the team this year. There may be some bad teams but everyone gets to play against them.

Nice.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                  LMAO right. It's crazy how good he's playing for that team. I don't know if he would have played that well if he was still on our team though. I really think it's fit for him right now.
                  Or the Bulls would have picked up another scrub PG and turned him into a half-decent player. Thibs is just a great coach and Noah is a a pain in the ass competitor who truly hates to lose. Give Thibs a D-League roster plus Noah and he still makes the playoffs.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                    Or the Bulls would have picked up another scrub PG and turned him into a half-decent player. Thibs is just a great coach and Noah is a a pain in the ass competitor who truly hates to lose. Give Thibs a D-League roster plus Noah and he still makes the playoffs.
                    I'm surprised that they didn't trade for Pierre Jackson. I get that augustin has been really good for them, but you're still giving starter minutes to DJ augustin on a playoff roster. You can use a scorer
                    @Boymusic66

Comment

Like many I was hoping they would tank and was disappointed that the trade made the team better rather than worse, but it would be ridiculous to look at the record and a likely play-off berth and call the season a failure. What makes the case valid is the fact that they're not doing it by fluke or any such thing. They are a legitimate contender that opponents have begun to respect.

Yes it's possible that we fans will be disappointed on draft day and it's also possible that we'll look at players turn into stars only to say "they could have been ours" but this season cannot be judged on possible future disappointments.
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

we're also within top 10 in lowest turnover ratios (8th) and offensive rebound rate (8th).

not surprisingly though, we're 18th in effective FG%.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                          we're also within top 10 in lowest turnover ratios (8th) and offensive rebound rate (8th).

not surprisingly though, we're 18th in effective FG%.
                          Rudy Gay best skill was to pad Amir and JV's offensive rebounding
                          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

I wasn't going to go into much detail, because other posters have done a great job of making my points for me, but then I started writing my post and realized that I'm a debbie downer... but I do finish off on a positive note. So I've split the post into two sections, which I've helpfully titled "Negative Nancy" and "Positive Pete". Skip to the "Positive Pete" section if you're worried I'll spoil your Kool-Aid

Part 1: Negative Nancy

My definition of success is making tangible strides towards the ultimate goal (Finals appearance). With that goal in mind, and despite the increase in financial flexibility (which is good) it would be difficult/impossible for me to declare this season a success under any circumstances.

I'm a sustainability guy, so 1 year of success isn't going to do it for me (unless it ends with a finals appearance). I think that the Raptors gave up a lot in terms of opportunity cost in not tanking. I still believe the follow statements...

You need ELITE talent to win it all (Raptors don't have it)

The best odds for getting ELITE talent are in the draft

The higher the draft pick the better the odds of getting great talent

With the amount of protections teams are putting on traded picks the odds of getting a top five pick from another team seems to be trending down. The best bet to get a top 5 pick is have it be your own.

Most importantly, you need great management (I Hope/Faith the raptors have it).

It's been obvious since Dolan nixed the lowry deal in Dec. that we are not tanking this year. I've never been a tank or bust poster, and at the end of the day it seems that the stars were aligned against us in trying to tank this year. I also believe...

Part 2: Positive Pete!

UJIRI>ME when it comes to b-ball smarts.

Even though we still don't have the elite talent needed to get to the finals, I'm reserving judgement on Masai (he gets until the trade deadline next season to show me that he's on a path to getting us to the finals) because the tank just didn't seem to be in the cards.

So I'm willing to come up with a new measure of success. And I am currently drinking the Kool-Aid.

Let's break the franchise win record for the regular and/or playoffs.

That means 48 or more wins in the regular season. Meaning they'll have to go 17-9 (as of Sunday's win) down the stretch. With their current record and strength of schedule it's possible. They are the better team in more than 17 of those games. The question will be, "Do they have what it takes mentally?"

AND/OR

For the playoffs it means 7 wins, which would require us to get to game seven versus either the Heat or Pacers. I think we've got a better shot at going to 7 games against the Heat, as they have a history of letting lesser teams get wins against in the playoffs and a history of letting series go to seven games. Although we went 7 games against the Sixers, we only got 3 wins in the first round as it was a best of five, meaning our current record is 6 wins.

So there it is. Strong finish to regular season and/or strong showing in the second round is enough for me to be okay with the fact that this may be a spin the wheels year in terms of the overall goal.

Sometimes Kool-Aid tastes good! Go Raps Go!

Last edited by ezz_bee; Mon Feb 24, 2014, 04:42 AM.
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

The team continues to roll in the wake of the Gay trade, and seems poised to host a playoff series in the opening round. Ujiri has cleared up the cap situation a bit, and has managed to collect a few assets while moving players that were hurting the team anyways in two separate deals.

I still have my questions about what will happen with Lowry this summer, or how the team will be able to make the next step forward from good team to true contender (which isn't a problem unique to the Raptors by the way)... but it's hard to call this season anything but a resounding success for the franchise.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                                15 teams are tanking this year? B.S. Really? Name them.
                                By my count, only 6 teams tried to tank. Philly has done the best job and has remained committed. Orlando and Boston are close. Utah went into offseason tank mode, but didn't commit further. Toronto and Phoenix saw their tank plans derailed.

All the other crappy teams thought they were going to be competitive, and not one of them went into true tank mode even when reality smashed them in the face.
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X