Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What would it take for the Raptors to go to ECF ?

Raptors Republic Starter Fanchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What would it take for the Raptors to go to ECF ?

Ok let's pretend the standings stay how they stand and we end up meeting the Heat in 2nd round. What would it take for us to have a shot? For each option, you'd have to say if this'd be enough.

I'm on mobile so I can't create a poll. But the options are :

Lebron sidelined
    DWade sidelined
    Bosh sidelined
    2 of them sidelined
    All of them sidelined
    Nothing, we already have a reasonable shot at beating the Heat in a 7 game series

Post Thanks / Like

I say our shot at making ECF would be not having to face Indy or Miami in one of the earlier rounds. If we face Washington in round 1 then maybe Brooklyn or Atlanta in round 2 we'll be okay. At that point Indy and Miami would have already played each other and one been eliminated.

Post Thanks / Like

To play the game though, I think Wade's knees would have to hold him to the bench and LBJ would have to be sidelined. But for Lebron to sit on the bench for a playoff game would require a serious injury. As much as I want the Raps to win I hope I don't see Lebron get hurt that bad.

All that being said, I think Indy is going all the way to the Obrien trophy this year.

Raptors Republic Starter Fanchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Yogi wrote: View Post
    I say our shot at making ECF would be not having to face Indy or Miami in one of the earlier rounds. If we face Washington in round 1 then maybe Brooklyn or Atlanta in round 2 we'll be okay. At that point Indy and Miami would have already played each other and one been eliminated.
    Well that's pretty much impossible since it would mean that one of Miami or Indiana would have to drop to #4. Or a third team would have to claim #1, leaving them #2 and #3.

Ain't happening...

5. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fanchie wrote: View Post
    Ok let's pretend the standings stay how they stand and we end up meeting the Heat in 2nd round. What would it take for us to have a shot? For each option, you'd have to say if this'd be enough.

I'm on mobile so I can't create a poll. But the options are :

Lebron sidelined
    DWade sidelined
    Bosh sidelined
    2 of them sidelined
    All of them sidelined
    Nothing, we already have a reasonable shot at beating the Heat in a 7 game series
    Lebron sidelined, then the heat are a borderline playoff team, so that helps.
    Wade sidelined, helps us out, but id still put my money on the heat.
    Bosh sidelined, we have a very interesting matchup.

Any two sidelined, and we're the favorites.

As is, I can see us going 6 games if we perform well.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Playing Indy in the second round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny that everyone's talking second round and whatnot considering no one on the team outside of a couple role players have ever even been in the playoffs.

Everyone here better hope we don't face Chicago, Brooklyn or Charlotte.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    It's funny that everyone's talking second round and whatnot considering no one on the team outside of a couple role players have ever even been in the playoffs.

I think we can beat those teams. I've never said it's surefire, but we aren't underdogs against em

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim Donaghy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fanchie wrote: View Post
    Well that's pretty much impossible since it would mean that one of Miami or Indiana would have to drop to #4. Or a third team would have to claim #1, leaving them #2 and #3.

Ain't happening...
    Well I just exposed my ignorance as to how playoff brackets are actually put together.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

With any one of the Big Three sidelined, we have a genuine shot at winning. If they're all healthy, a reasonable goal is for the series to go six games before we lose.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Miami or Indiana would both have to have serious injury issues because that's who were facing in the 2nd round. That's if we even survive the first round, because like @ceez said if we take on Chicago, Brooklyn, or Charlotte we could be in serious trouble as it'll be a dogfight.

Chicago would be a defensive grind and a war of attrition. Brooklyn would be more run & gun but they have so much veteran savvy with players who have been there that know how to get the job done. I think Charlotte is our best chance of the 3 but then we've been dominated by them this year (0-3 on the season) and have no answer for Al Jefferson.

If we face any of those 3 and survive we'll really have earned that 2nd round trip but I think without a doubt the party ends there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post

I certainly hope you aren't using the "playoff experience" argument with the Bobcats, but I agree nevertheless...
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Rookie TorontoRaptors4Eva's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

First I wanna clinched a playoff spot and win a round before we talk about the conference finals. Lets hope we don't play brooklyn or chicago in the first round
    Live. Breath. Sleep. Raptors

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The playoffs are a different beast from the regular season. Playoff experience matters a lot. You usually don't see 'rookie' teams doing so well in the playoffs because of that. Even if the big 3 were all sidelined the Heat have a lot of vets that know how to win when it matters. I think they would still take Toronto in 7 games.

If the big 3 were all healthy I think it would be a sweep and the Raptors would be lucky to even win one game.

The Raptors don't have a lot of players with playoff experience. This is what I calculated off of BBR:

GV - 13 games (11mpg)
    De Colo - 5 games (3mpg)
    Psycho-T - 35 games (16mpg)
    Hayes - 26 games (18.5mpg)
    Amir - 11 games (5mpg)
    Lowry - 13 games (20mpg)
    Novak - 18 games (10mpg)
    Salmons - 22 games (28mpg)
    Fields - 9 games (20.7mpg)

Lowry is the only guy with some experience of the starters and even then he was coming off the bench in Houston that one year. Hayes/Salmons/Tyler have some experience but that would be nothing compared to the experience the guys in Miami have.

Either way the way things are looking I could see Miami winning the conference (they are only 1.5 games back from the Pacers), and the Raptors sealing the 3rd seed (Chicago/Washington have tougher schedules). So if the Raptors can get out of the first round I have a feeling they will be playing Indiana in the 2nd. I like that matchup anyway. Indiana has the talent and the hunger to win it all but Miami is a much tougher team to beat.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TorontoRaptors4Eva wrote: View Post
    First I wanna clinched a playoff spot and win a round before we talk about the conference finals. Lets hope we don't play brooklyn or chicago in the first round
    Why the fear for Brooklyn? I don't think that's a bad matchup. Joe Johnson is a shell of who he was. Garnett is not as big of a force as he once was especially defensively. Kyle is better than Deron. Pierce is the wild card as he still seems to have the Raptors number.. if we can get a body on him and make it hard for him I don't see that team as a threat.

I'm most scared of Charlotte. They are a joke franchise, and if the Raptors lose to them in the first round with home court advantage that's going to be somewhat embarrassing. Plus Charlotte is 0-3 against the Raptors this year. AJ is a force in the paint too.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It would take one heck of a game plan by Casey. To his credit he has the playoff experience with Dallas, and is credited with the only defense to beat Heat in a 7 game series since the big 3 era, but obviously the personnel was of a different calss with the Mav's than it is now with the Raptors.

I'd say you would need two of the big 3 out and one of those two would have to be LBJ.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Why the fear for Brooklyn? I don't think that's a bad matchup. Joe Johnson is a shell of who he was. Garnett is not as big of a force as he once was especially defensively. Kyle is better than Deron. Pierce is the wild card as he still seems to have the Raptors number.. if we can get a body on him and make it hard for him I don't see that team as a threat.

I'm most scared of Charlotte. They are a joke franchise, and if the Raptors lose to them in the first round with home court advantage that's going to be somewhat embarrassing. Plus Charlotte is 0-3 against the Raptors this year. AJ is a force in the paint too.
    I think it's the fact that Brooklyn is a veteran team. Those sort of teams wake up in the playoffs, so what your are seeing now isn't what you'll see when playoff time comes around. Just look how easily JV gets taken out of the game when he isn't even the focus of the other teams D. Imagine in the playoffs when the team is targeting the opposing teams weaknesses. I'd want to stay away from any vet team with playoff experience.

Charlotte is no joke this season. They've been beating some good teams and have our number.

20. Like isaacthompson liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My tinfoil hat says it will take refs who aren't paid by the league to ensure the Raptors don't beat anyone of consequence and destroy the TV ratings.

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Playing Indy in the second round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly. There is a 0% chance we are beating Miami under any circumstances. Indiana though, especially if they have a little injury trouble, there is at least a chance. A small chance, but a chance none the less.

I think its also most likely that Miami finishes with the #1 seed, so if we can keep it up, Indy very likely a round 2 opponent.

23. Like CalgaryRapsFan, rapfan10 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information